SMS combo amp

Re: SMS combo amp

Postby mkaufman » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:45 pm

I do really like this idea, however, a 1x12 cab with a separate 3U rack won't be much bigger. Plus, weight-wise, it will be easier to carry.

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://www.advantech-ny.com/DellComputerWarranty/
mkaufman

Postby kurt eye » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:24 pm

Couple questions if you don't mind - (caution - some of these might be stupid).

1. Do you think the power conditioner is necessary? (I'm guessing that this question may have been asked and answered a million times on this message board elsewhere, but I'll ask it anyway.)

2A. How is the room in the back of the cab for cabling and power chords?

2B. Do you get any hum or hiss?

2C. Could you fit an XLR cable connector into the Carvin input if you wanted to?

Thank you...for a real nice design
Shall we go, you and I while we can? Through the transitive night fall of diamonds...
kurt eye
tiger
tiger

Postby toddgardn » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:11 am

Hi there! I wondered the same thing about the power conditioner before building the cabinet (wanted to keep the unit as small as possible), but decided that since the amp will be used in many different locations with varying power sources, it's likely wise to have a conditioner. There's plenty of room for cabling power cords both behind the amp/preamp/PC, and in the lower speaker cavity. I get no hum or hiss so far! With the current cut out configuration of the back panel I can easily insert a xlr into channel 1 of the carvin amp, but would need to make the cut out larger to accommodate the channel 2 xlr input (because the back panel is not far enough away from back of the amp unit, though a 90 degree 1/4" mono fits into channel 2 just fine). I think a redesign of the cut out for the back panel should take care of the spacing concerns for accessing the back of the amp/preamp/PC. :smile:
toddgardn
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby kurt eye » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:42 pm

Thanks Todd. Hopefully I'll be posting pictures of mine in a few months.
Shall we go, you and I while we can? Through the transitive night fall of diamonds...
kurt eye
tiger
tiger

Postby Jon S. » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:09 pm

It looks great and I'll bet it sounds great, too. I wanted a low weight, portable option, too. I went a bit differently: an SMS into a Carvin into a TRM 2X10. The 2U rack weighs about 16 lbs. The cab about 30. I can carry one in each hand with my guitar on my shoulder and M13 multieffects unit in a knapsack and do it all in one trip. I have my Furman voltage regulator in its own 2U rack (1U is open for ventilation). I need it on outdoor gigs where the power is suspect. I'm not much on rack unit "conditioners." I don't feel it gives me anything more than I'd already get from a quality floor power strip.

"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone