Alembic Tribute vs Lieber's "Garcia"

Re: Alembic Tribute vs Lieber's "Garcia"

Postby tatittle » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:11 am

I am thinking the current housing demand in SF combined with higher taxes/regulation puts 710 rent firmly out of the reach of local bands these days(provenance aside).
tatittle
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby jalevinemd » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:26 pm

I have played several Alembic Tributes and own three custom Alembics (with a fourth on the way). If you are looking to approximate the look and feel of the original Tiger as best you can, the Alembic is not the guitar for you. As the name implies…it is a Tribute to Jerry and not meant to be an exact replica. I've got a Tiger from Leo and Scarlet Fire and couldn't be happier. There are several other luthiers mentioned in numerous previous posts. As stated above, Tom Lieber's Tiger is over $30K - the most expensive of the known commercially available replicas. I have spoken to Mr. Lieber about the price tag and completely understand and respect his reason for it.

The Alembic's strength is its tone. I believe (and others may respectfully disagree) that the proprietary electronics from the folks in Santa Rosa can get you fairly close to "that sound" with a lot of different amps. This way you don't have to invest in duplicating Jerry's rig exactly - though with the price tag of the Tribute being what it is, you could get a Tiger from Scarlet Fire and still have enough money to buy the necessary components to duplicate Jerry's rig.
jalevinemd
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby tdub » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:51 pm

As a (satisfied) owner of a Lieber American Beauty Classic '09 (substantially lower price point than the Alembic and Lieber Garcia), I would say that the construction integrity, guts and elements of outboard peripherals (SMS, Mc, K120, effects) play an important avenue for achieving the tone one seeks, and that in itself has motivated me more to work (and play) harder to get to the next level in the music. That said, I wholeheartedly agree with Justin that, the "real true magic of that sound is in the hands of the player. The technique." And the feeling, the dynamic, getting into the head and the soul of the song.

Once you get that tone, you're in the door, but not even halfway there. For me, getting the tone motivated me to want to get better. I'll never get to where I'd like to be, but that's the fun of the journey.
tdub
tiger
tiger

Postby JDB30 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:16 pm

tcsned wrote:
Jon S. wrote:"Everything affects everything."

Former Orioles manager Earl Weaver (in response to a reporter's question, "If you had not pinch hit for your center fielder in the 6th inning, might that 7th inning double have been caught?")

P.S. I think the Buddha said it, too. :P

Earl was a genius.

Perhaps the best manager of all time.
JDB30
Brent
Brent

Postby Terrapin77 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:41 am

Thanks everyone. My Alembic arrived this week and Susan's team is amazing! I love it and while I want to be able to pay tribute to his tone, I love that I can create my own sound. It's an amazing piece of ate and highly recommend. I told Susan to keep an eye for a great piece of wood to start my further. These pickups are amazing!

Sounds like I need to check out Scarlett fire as well.

I love my Tru Tron with the Alembic. You can't go wrong.
Terrapin77
welcome
welcome

Postby tcsned » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:43 am

Post some pics and/or sound clips when you get a chance.

I totally agree that Earl was the best of all time.
tcsned

Postby paulinnc » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:48 pm

I wish I had the cash to throw around on awesome guitars like that.
paulinnc

Postby Terrapin77 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:40 pm

Does anyone have any recommendations for a stereo guitar cable? Since my guitar has two jacks, I can't seem to find a cable at any store. I can't engage the on board effects loop without it.

Thanks
Terrapin77
welcome
welcome

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:47 am

Terrapin77 wrote:Does anyone have any recommendations for a stereo guitar cable? Since my guitar has two jacks, I can't seem to find a cable at any store. I can't engage the on board effects loop without it.

Thanks

Lots of info in these threads:
viewtopic.php?f=426&t=13617&p=123049&hilit=stereo+cable#p123049
viewtopic.php?f=419&t=15895&p=138206&hilit=hubbub#p138206
viewtopic.php?f=419&t=15075&p=132910&hilit=hubbub#p132910
viewtopic.php?f=419&t=11556&p=107482&hilit=hubbub#p107482

Also, if you can/want to solder, you can get some high quality microphone cable (2 conductor) and 1/4" TRS jacks to make it yourself.
You can make the network junction box yourself too, if ya want.
http://www.wald-electronics.com/misc.html

Hope that helps :smile:
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby tcsned » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:05 am

Some genius that looks exactly like me but isn't me effed up his cable harness and has been to,lazy to resolder it. I've been using a standard instrument cable and a TRS cable and it works fine and doesn't get tangled up.
tcsned

Postby strummingturtle » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:30 am

hey Terrapin,
Andrew Olson of AO guitars makes a great combo mono and stereo cable wrap together to make one chord. It is just what you need for that guitar.
strummingturtle
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone