Need rec. on cheap bulk guitar cable or substitute

Need rec. on cheap bulk guitar cable or substitute

Postby jmfranc » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:08 pm

Building a 11 pedal looper with buildt in buffer. I will need 22 cables all about 15 feet. I'll make my own cables but anyone have a cheap alternative? Just needs to be two shielded wires in an outer cover right? What have people used that works fine? Just can't sink $250 into proper cables. I'd love to make all of these for under $100
jmfranc
Pigpen
Pigpen

Re: Need rec. on cheap bulk guitar cable or substitute

Postby tatittle » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:16 pm

I got a great deal on Goerge L sets on ebay, though it took awhile. I haven't had any probs with them yet and I have had issues with regular cables and Monster etc. I could pay retail for them, but I got a bunch for under $100. after waiting awhile, so you may get lucky.
Its really nice to be able to select custom length and just cut an inch off if connection probs develop.
tatittle

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby jmfranc » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:13 am

I know. That's what interests me. Custom lengths and easy fixes. Though, knock on wood, I haven't had a bad cable in lots of years.

I read someone talking about using microphone cable which is cheaper. it's twisted and shielded and so I might give it a try.
jmfranc
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby waldo041 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:52 am

Maybe not this exactly, but for a custom low cost solution I would try using some snake cable.

http://www.redco.com/Mogami-W2936.html

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby jmfranc » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:10 pm

Awesome suggestion Waldo! So I guess I would just need the male plugs and I would be set?
jmfranc
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby Mr.Burns » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:21 pm

Snakes can, depending on length, number of channels, type of plugs used, etc., get very heavy when coiled and are extremely difficult to transport and store. As someone who deals with them often I felt obligated to share that.
Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil

Postby zambiland » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:44 pm

waldo041 wrote:Maybe not this exactly, but for a custom low cost solution I would try using some snake cable.

http://www.redco.com/Mogami-W2936.html

~waldo

This is what I do. Works out great.
zambiland

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:46 am

Mr.Burns wrote:Snakes can, depending on length, number of channels, type of plugs used, etc., get very heavy when coiled and are extremely difficult to transport and store. As someone who deals with them often I felt obligated to share that.

Not really heavier than 22 different 15' cables though! :shock:
Rusty the Scoob

Postby zambiland » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:12 pm

Rusty the Scoob wrote:
Mr.Burns wrote:Snakes can, depending on length, number of channels, type of plugs used, etc., get very heavy when coiled and are extremely difficult to transport and store. As someone who deals with them often I felt obligated to share that.

Not really heavier than 22 different 15' cables though! :shock:

Snakes are difficult to store and transport only once you get to big ones. As in dozens of feet long. I deal with them often both as PA snakes (including 32 channel splitter snakes) and sub snakes I use for my bass rig. Snakes are great as long you get good cable with reliable construction.
zambiland

Return to Cabinets