Some Sound Samples From My New Rig

Some Sound Samples From My New Rig

Postby JDB30 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:16 pm

I finally figured out how to post the photo of my new rig (see main Equip Board). Here are some crudely recorded Sound Samples (Bobbytone Samples + some Stones stuff). Let's hear your criticisms & suggestions---it will help me dial it in further. ++NOTE: I've reposted the Stones stuff as I realized my recording was badly clipping the DAW. Sorry for that!

https://soundcloud.com/jdb30/ls-ibanez-ivp

https://soundcloud.com/jdb30/jack-straw ... under-solo

https://soundcloud.com/jdb30/terrapin-s ... introverse

https://soundcloud.com/jdb30/tumblin-di ... hm-excerpt

https://soundcloud.com/jdb30/hand-of-fate-guitar-solo
Last edited by JDB30 on Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JDB30
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:12 pm

Re: Some Sound Samples From My New Rig

Postby Searing75 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:25 pm

Sounds fantastic! Great playing. I think the tone is spot on. :cool:
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75
Billy
Billy
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:09 am
Location: Western NY

Re: Some Sound Samples From My New Rig

Postby gmchart » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:05 pm

Wow. Tone and playin' are both very impressive.
gmchart
Brent
Brent
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 1:51 pm
Location: Helena Mt.

Re: Some Sound Samples From My New Rig

Postby SpaceYrface43 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:27 am

Sounds Great , Awesome Lost Sailor.
SpaceYrface43
710 ashbury
710 ashbury
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: Orchard Park,New York

Re: Some Sound Samples From My New Rig

Postby tcsned » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:39 am

I've got nothing other that it sounds great, both tone and playing. I'm a big Stones fan and have been trying to get my bandmates to do Tumblin' Dice for a long time - I love that tune and your playing. :cool: :cool: :cool:
User avatar
tcsned
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2732
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:50 pm
Location: Blacksburg, VA

Re: Some Sound Samples From My New Rig

Postby JDB30 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:39 am

tcsned wrote:I've got nothing other that it sounds great, both tone and playing. I'm a big Stones fan and have been trying to get my bandmates to do Tumblin' Dice for a long time - I love that tune and your playing. :cool: :cool: :cool:


Thanks for the compliments. Now, where's the criticisms????? I'm just at the beginning of the journey on this rig and need some direction. Some of the recordings are crappy, as I realized I was clipping the input on my mac. I'll try again later and repost. But any advice on the sounds? I feel like I've lost all perspective and can't tell if it's close or if it's way off. Seriously---no idea!
JDB30
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:12 pm

Re: Some Sound Samples From My New Rig

Postby James-T » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:41 am

Sweet Bobby licks. You sound like Bobby but better! Great tone. Must be a fantastic rig to play through.

Peace, :smile:

James
James-T
Phil
Phil
 
Posts: 324
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: Some Sound Samples From My New Rig

Postby tcsned » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:29 am

I hear you on losing perspective. But honestly, your playing is great and that most of the way there IMHO. Your rig sounds great, clean, articulate, and rich. The only question I would have is how it sounds when you mixed in with a full band? Sometimes what sounds awesome on it's own fills up too much sonic space in a mix. I don't know that it would be a problem or something you want to tweak just something to be aware of.

How do you like the Marshall amp? I just sold a 9100 and a JMP1 - I'm regretting having to do it but getting a new guitar required moving something and they were sellable. I'm probably going to get another JMP1, the 9100 wasn't practical to carry around with the Mac. I do like the Marshall sound. I wonder what the differences are since their both 50/50 EL84 amps.
User avatar
tcsned
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2732
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:50 pm
Location: Blacksburg, VA

Re: Some Sound Samples From My New Rig

Postby JDB30 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:34 pm

tcsned wrote: How do you like the Marshall amp? I just sold a 9100 and a JMP1 - I'm regretting having to do it but getting a new guitar required moving something and they were sellable. I'm probably going to get another JMP1, the 9100 wasn't practical to carry around with the Mac. I do like the Marshall sound. I wonder what the differences are since their both 50/50 EL84 amps.


The Marshall 9005 Power Amp is awesome (it's basically a stereo version of the power section of a JCM 800). The JMP1 pre-amp is LIGHT YEARS beyond the 9001 that I have in my rig. You should have kept it!!! :) I had Rob at JadedFaith modify my 9001 to get it sounding as best as he could but the tubes are used in a really weird way----most of the tone is actually from solid state components and then "colored" by the tubes. It was made (and bought) in the '80's and, let's just say, it probably should have stayed there. there's a couple usable sounds but, all in all, that 1U space in my rack is probably best served by finding something better like a used JMP1 or a used Mesa Boogie Triaxis, which I believe are infinitely superior.

Most of the better sounds in my rig come from the SMS Revelation Pre-amp (sounds as good as it looks) and the 4 Jaded Faith MTS Modules I have, as well as the IVP (which is what I used to get the Weir tones I posted above).
JDB30
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:12 pm

Re: Some Sound Samples From My New Rig

Postby Bear62 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:05 pm

No Fair Jordan! You are a definite ringer! Nice to see you here. Hint, I am Chad's younger brother! Great playing as always!

Gregg Miller :cool:
Bear62
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: Some Sound Samples From My New Rig

Postby tcsned » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:37 am

JDB30 wrote:
tcsned wrote:

The Marshall 9005 Power Amp is awesome (it's basically a stereo version of the power section of a JCM 800). The JMP1 pre-amp is LIGHT YEARS beyond the 9001 that I have in my rig. You should have kept it!!! :) I had Rob at JadedFaith modify my 9001 to get it sounding as best as he could but the tubes are used in a really weird way----most of the tone is actually from solid state components and then "colored" by the tubes. It was made (and bought) in the '80's and, let's just say, it probably should have stayed there. there's a couple usable sounds but, all in all, that 1U space in my rack is probably best served by finding something better like a used JMP1 or a used Mesa Boogie Triaxis, which I believe are infinitely superior.

Most of the better sounds in my rig come from the SMS Revelation Pre-amp (sounds as good as it looks) and the 4 Jaded Faith MTS Modules I have, as well as the IVP (which is what I used to get the Weir tones I posted above).


The JMP1 is an awesome preamp I'll probably pick up another after I bounce back from buying a Scarlet Fire
Wolf. I've always wondered about the SMS Revelation. I've got an SMS Classic Twin Pre and totally love it. I always wanted to run the JMP/SMS together using a stereo panning volume pedal but never could figure out a way to fit a second speaker cab in my truck with the PA and everything else. Back when I was using my Twin I did a musical theater gig where I ran the Twin and my old JCM 800 the same way and that was awesome. Back in the early Aquarium Rescue Unit days Jimmy Herring did something similar with Marshall/Fender combos. I've also got a Mesa V-Twin rack preamp that I use as a backup for the SMS. I love the Marshall tone for some of the grittier Dead tunes like St Stephen, The Other One, etc. though I may lose my Deadhead card for using a Marshall :-)

I'd love to hear you rig in a band setting if you've got any recordings, I assume you play out with someone, you're too damn good not too :cool:
User avatar
tcsned
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2732
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:50 pm
Location: Blacksburg, VA

Re: Some Sound Samples From My New Rig

Postby JDB30 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:50 am

tcsned wrote:I'd love to hear you rig in a band setting if you've got any recordings, I assume you play out with someone, you're too damn good not too :cool:


Afraid not...those days are long gone! Used to tour but HATED it--just not a lifestyle I aspired to. I built the rig as a silent recording rack. Glad you like it and thanks for the compliments. If you're ever in L.A.....
JDB30
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:12 pm

Re: Some Sound Samples From My New Rig

Postby JDB30 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:51 am

Bear62 wrote:No Fair Jordan! You are a definite ringer! Nice to see you here. Hint, I am Chad's younger brother! Great playing as always!

Gregg Miller :cool:


DUDE! It hasn't been years...it's been DECADES! Hope you're well and all is good.
JDB30
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:12 pm

Re: Some Sound Samples From My New Rig

Postby Bear62 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:32 am

Doing great! Thank you. Who's counting? 3 1/2 decades. Brett said, I always needed to work on my counting. Take care, Gregg
Bear62
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: Some Sound Samples From My New Rig

Postby playingdead » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:39 pm

JDB30 wrote:https://soundcloud.com/jdb30/lost-sailor



Can you teach my rhythm guitar player how to play Lost Sailor? Hell, can you teach me? Post up a video of that!
User avatar
playingdead
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1729
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:55 am
Location: Boston, MA

Next

Return to Bobby Tone

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests