Playing Dead's 10th anniversary show ... plus rig change

Re: Playing Dead's 10th anniversary show ... plus rig change

Postby tcsned » Mon May 19, 2014 12:44 pm

The EF sounds really good. The AxeFX is a cool toy, you've got it well dialed in too.

. . . I thought you got through that spot in Estimated in good shape. I don't think we've ever gotten through that part totally clean. :roll:
tcsned

Postby playingdead » Mon May 19, 2014 4:13 pm

I posted this same video clip over on the Gear Page ... and check out this comment ... wow.

:hail: :hail: :hail:

playingdead

Postby tcsned » Mon May 19, 2014 4:48 pm

You deserve it! :cool: :cool: :cool:
tcsned

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon May 19, 2014 5:35 pm

We knew him back when....

Well done Vic!
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby James-T » Tue May 20, 2014 5:04 pm

Vic,

Great video bro. Great tone. I have to say when you said you were changing rigs you really had me. I thought you were going analog! Sounds fantastic. The other surprise was the dual sound. On this forum that would make you a rebel! Sounds great. I love mine in my PRS. What inspired you to swap out the Super II?

What percentage of your time do you think is coming from your instrument? Asked another way what do you think a stock Strat would sound like, with those Axe II presets? And you had to show off your new toy to all us Ultra users!

Nice playing to. 10 years. Quite the achievement by any standard!

Peace,

James
James-T
Phil
Phil

Postby aiq » Wed May 21, 2014 9:53 am

Cool you got some love from SK. I have him as a contact so I can read most of his posts. I have a Kimock wisdom doc I often add to when he drops that info.

Come to think of it I have one from here, too.
aiq
Mickey
Mickey

Postby playingdead » Mon May 26, 2014 1:19 pm

Thanks, man ... just wanted a little fatter sound and was having some feedback issues with a possibly microphonic Super II so switched it out. Still have a Super II in the middle of my Scott Walker Special.

My experience, the Ultra's preset is pretty sensitive to the guitar, so my PRS or a regular Strat sounds quite different through it. However, it's pretty easy to dial it back in. That said, when I switch between the Tiger and the Walker, all I really had to do was adjust the input gain because the Walker's not quite as hot on the output and the tone was right there. The new preset I'm using in the 2 relies less on EQ curves and other filter trickery and is more straightforward, so that may make a difference.

I also am ditching the K12 in favor of an Atomic CLR Neo powered wedge, which Jay Mitchell had a hand in designing; Jay is an engineer and speaker designer who is an expert on impulse response curves through fullrange speakers, and he is the one who was kind enough to assist me years ago making the IR files off my personal Hard Truckers cabinets, and I'm psyched to try his speakers out live. They forgo the separate woofer and horn scheme in favor of a true coincident coaxial design. There have been favorable comparisons to the far more expensive Meyer setups. First gig in three weeks, will report back.

I am using the wedge (above) but they also make a traditional guitar shaped cabinet.
playingdead

Postby barefootdave » Tue May 27, 2014 9:56 am

Can't wait to hear your impressions on the Atomic wedge, also what you think of the new firmware 15 that was released a few days ago. Word is there are major improvements in the Fender models!
Barefoot Dave
"His job is too shed light, not to master"
barefootdave
Billy
Billy

Postby flyingheelhook » Tue May 27, 2014 12:01 pm

What's the learning curve on those Axe units?
flyingheelhook
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby James-T » Tue May 27, 2014 3:53 pm

How are you with software? Axe Edit is easy to use and is quite intuitive. But it's all a bit of a challenge getting it set up downloaded and set up. I'm on mac so it's a bit easier than a PC.

The manual is good - but wordy. Lot's of on-line support at the Axe FX Forum, but still it's pretty techie stuff.

Upside is the number of variables the Fractal offers to "craft" one's tone. The downside is the number of variables the Fractal offers to "craft" one's tone. One runs the risk of tweaking patches till the cows come home.

I'm through the honeymoon stage with mine and now running it as an effects only unit like many others. It does stuff that no other pedal can do using such a small space in a rack. It's an amazing guitar device, built by an amazing company. :smile:

You should buy Vic's Ultra!

Peace,

James
James-T
Phil
Phil

Postby flyingheelhook » Wed May 28, 2014 5:30 am

Good info. Budget is the biggest hurdle right now as several home maintenance projects on my plate but am hoping next year I can start looking at taking my rig to the next level.
flyingheelhook
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby MichaelCarolina » Fri May 30, 2014 8:00 am

Great video and congratulations on the longevity.

Can you share any information on the light show? Is it the band's or the venue's? Any specs would be appreciated.

Regards. Michael
MichaelCarolina
tiger
tiger

Postby playingdead » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:08 pm

Hey Michael: The screen belongs to the venue; we had our own light guy handling the house lights and we used a program called g-force on a laptop which is responding to the music for the visuals.
playingdead

Postby MichaelCarolina » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:20 am

Thanks Vic. That is the trippiest.
MichaelCarolina
tiger
tiger

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone