Jerry's Goergia Blow My Mind

Jerry's Goergia Blow My Mind

Postby tatittle » Thu May 22, 2014 10:39 pm

Okay, I am looking to do this song justice (Goergia On My Mind) and was hoping some folks could give me some shortcuts on singing the solo like Jerry does here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY-getILyo4

I have been working on the framework of the song, but I welcome tips on the chords as well. Its another of those songs that has lots of little things that one can miss at first but when its right its magic.
tatittle
Jerry
Jerry

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Re: Jerry's Goergia Blow My Mind

Postby mgbills » Fri May 23, 2014 5:22 pm

Studied this for 3 months with my local jazz teacher.

The chord changes are the same as the Hoagy Carmichael version. Killer. Absolutely wonderful.

FM7 Em7b5 A7b9 Dm7 Dm7/C Bm7b5 Bbm7 Eb7 Am7 D7 Gm7 C7 Am7 C7b9#5. Repeat to the D7 then
Gm7 C7 FMaj7 Em7b5 A7#9

B section

Dm7 ….Bb7 A7
Dm7 …Dm7 G7
Dm7 Dm7/C# Dm7/C Bm7b5 A7 D7 G7 C7

etc. I could scan a copy and post it next week…but I'm not going to the office over the weekend.

Em7b5 is Em7 half-diminshed if I remember correctly.

I love jamming along with this. A brilliant study in strolling between major & minor. Jerry's solo's are heavenly. Brilliant Strat/Twin tone. Loud.

Peace
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby tatittle » Fri May 23, 2014 11:37 pm

Thanks Bills,
I have learned it in G so far (that's Rays key I think). It looks like you have a m7b5 > m7 where I came up with a M7 > #dim
so I will look at that part again, and listen to the other versions. I cant get comfortable with 1 of the turnarounds either, maybe I just need to find the right voicing.
tatittle
Jerry
Jerry

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby jeager » Sat May 24, 2014 5:40 am

Never heard Jerry do this but studied the John Scofield version...chord melody solo for long time, earned a lot from it and throw bits and pieces in when i do it with my trio. It written one of his Jazz Funk Guitar books. I play it in E ....Sco transcription indicates tuning half step down...as in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iyRQOzQ9go
"One man gathers what another man spills..."
jeager
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby mgbills » Sat May 24, 2014 8:51 am

The Carmichael version has that 2nd chord as E Ø7. I believe this is a convention for 1/2 dim. b5. In this case m7b5.

I always have to look it up if I haven't played it in a while. I know the chord with my fingers, and it looks like an Em7b5. But you know how naming conventions go. There is some fuzziness out there.
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Return to Jerry Tone