Guitar Pro

Help Section for Tab Creator

Guitar Pro

Postby Damascus » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:57 am

Forgive me if this has come up, but I couldn't find it on any of the 'Faq' or similar topics, and a search of the forum didn't seem to uncover anything.

Have any of you ever heard of, or used a program called 'Guitar Pro'?

The tab site that I most usually frequent - 'Ultimate Guitar Tabs Archive' - has a good few songs (songs, not Dead songs, unfortunately) in this format, and having a song in Guitar Pro is...I just can't explain how amazingly helpful it is.

For those who don't know what it is, Guitar Pro is basically an interactive tab program. You can transcribe a song (with however many parts you like - more than one guitar, plus bass, drums, pianos, vocal melodies, literally anything) onto it and then you can play it.

The program will play the sound of the song while a green line moves along the tab, showing you where the music is at each particular point. I started playing guitar last summer and the discovery of Guitar Pro a few months ago has acellerated my learning so much that it's just brilliant.

This seems like the prime place to start transcribing Dead tabs onto guitar pro to make it easier for everyone to learn and modify etc. so I thought I'd throw the idea out there.

Cheers.
Damascus
welcome
welcome

Postby nicolasalk » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:44 pm

is a great program i have it
nicolasalk
Jerry
Jerry

Postby Damascus » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:28 am

Ok, so at least one person has used it.

Has anyone ever seen a Guitar Pro tab of a Grateful Dead song?

I've seen an intro to Ripple and one or two semi-complete tabs for songs like Truckin' and Casey Jones, but nothing that could be considered an archive.

Seriously, learning from Guitar Pro is infinitely easier than from a non-interactive sheet tab, I think this forum has the potential to create an excellent resource for Dead fans.
Damascus
welcome
welcome

Postby amyjared » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:09 am

I've used it at work, since it used to only be available for the PC and I had one at work (Mac at home). I found a few dead songs (Ripple, GDTRFB, Lovelight, Big RR Blues) but none of them were very good or even correct. There is also a program that is almost exactly the same called something like Power tabs. I much prefer the video to these tabs, although they are helpful. I think having the midi files that are on this site are about the same things as using this program. Just my two cents.
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Postby nicolasalk » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:23 pm

Damascus wrote:Ok, so at least one person has used it.

Has anyone ever seen a Guitar Pro tab of a Grateful Dead song?

I've seen an intro to Ripple and one or two semi-complete tabs for songs like Truckin' and Casey Jones, but nothing that could be considered an archive.

Seriously, learning from Guitar Pro is infinitely easier than from a non-interactive sheet tab, I think this forum has the potential to create an excellent resource for Dead fans.

Yes, i agree with you, in both aspects
nicolasalk
Jerry
Jerry

Postby Scary Pete » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:56 pm

Love this program, just search for it on torrent websites and download it with a serial. Awesome program.
Scary Pete
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby jackr » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:02 pm

Yes I have it and use it all the time, and it is great.

Also great for writing.

It is not expensive so buy yourself a copy instead of stealing it.
On tour '76 - '81
Clean & Sober since '87
jackr

Postby CaptainTrips » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:39 pm

I have and it and I love it. I mainly use it to compose my own music and backing tracks but its awesome.
CaptainTrips

Re: Guitar Pro

Postby nicolasalk » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:18 pm

i love gp, great program, with a lot af uses

Damascus wrote:
This seems like the prime place to start transcribing Dead tabs onto guitar pro to make it easier for everyone to learn and modify etc. so I thought I'd throw the idea out there.

Cheers.

ooh yeah, i would love that
nicolasalk
Jerry
Jerry

Postby broomhead » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:32 pm

got it and LOVE it...lol
Really is fantastic. only dead tunes I've found are uncle john's, playin, ripple, truckin and friend of the devil along w/ standards like railroad blues, goin down the rd., fade away and lovelight.

I use it all the time for scales, wacky tunings and chord variations.

My nephew's band uses it for song writing and its pretty impressive the results he gets with it.
i give 5 stars..

joe
broomhead
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby deadguise » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:28 pm

I wish some genius could write a program like that for the Mac.
deadguise

Postby gr8fulbluz » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:55 pm

deadguise wrote:I wish some genius could write a program like that for the Mac.

I dunno if ya mean it but here it is>>>>
http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php?pg=mac-version

I will have to try it sometime
gr8fulbluz
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby Kilgara Mtn » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:13 pm

Rock band 3 Squier strat. Learn & play the 10-15+ dead songs available for download as well as all the other songs in the game and download library. This is more than just a game anymore, this is a legitimate learning tool. check it out for yourself. i for one will be putting in my preorder this week.
Kilgara Mtn
welcome
welcome

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:17 pm

Wow, stuff sure has come a long way from rewinding the tape over and over, pressing play and pause; trying to pick out the music note by note / chord by chord. I think there is something to be said for learning the old fashion way, maybe the extra effort helps retain the info deeper, i dunno. Either way, I am not one to scoff at functional inventions, hope to check that out soon! Thanks for the info. :smile:

PS- I knew it was a matter of time that Rock band became almost a real rock band, almost. They have rock band "GIGS" and competitions at a bar here in town. The gals get giddy and dance when the "cool" band gets up and plays. As if they are real rock stars with groupies. Its surreal. :lol:
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby Kilgara Mtn » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:16 am

Honestly, the only reason that i play real guitar today is because i became so freakishly good at guitar hero that it was a waste of time for me to play it anymore. I have seen bars that do that... i need to get a "band" together so i can get some "groupies"
Kilgara Mtn
welcome
welcome

Return to Guitar Tab Creator - Help