Is this a "Cutler Box"??

Re: Is this a "Cutler Box"??

Postby waldo041 » Sat May 03, 2014 10:31 am

Mr.Burns wrote:
hippieguy1954 wrote:For me and the few pedals I use, "programmable" doesn't enter into the picture at all. Easy enough to choose (with the looper), prior to or even during a song with the switches all in a line on the looper. Glad programmable works for you, though! That is what matters most!

I'm not sure 7 pedals qualifies as a few, more like "quite a few". That being said, It's not about the number of pedals, but the number of configurations, and doing the minimum amount of tap dancing to get to each one. Also, it's a little bit about valuable real estate on the pedal board. And it's a lot about how I love to solder things, so it doesn't just work, it's kinda like Xmas morning for me. That "works for me" thing is really just what people tell themselves when they've settled for less.

I most likely will swoop one of these up for another pedalboard, but it definitely is more work then a traditional effects switcher. Not too many instances where you will need more then maybe 3 effects on at one time, so having to press one more footswitches versus picking the odd numbered bank preset where it requires you to press 2 buttons at one time is really not all that much of a hindrance. Seems like this will make you tap dance a lot more then the traditional way. Also, what happens when your at a preset and you want to add something? do you have to tap dance to a different preset altogether or can you just add in that one pedal? At it's price it's worth looking into, but it definitely is more complicated then the traditional route. In this instance I don't think it is settling for less, it's not wanting to deal with the more complicated options, they both can get the job done.

~waldo
Last edited by waldo041 on Sat May 03, 2014 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Mr.Burns » Sat May 03, 2014 5:39 pm

I just want to state that I have no affiliation with BYOC, I just think this thing is the shit, and I'm not really worried about what anyone else thinks. It seemed like some folks on here are a little confused about this unit and what it does, possibly even myself. Upon watching the video again, I now think it lets you use it in either traditional looper mode or preset mode. So in loop mode adding an effect is the same as with a traditional looper. Best of both worlds? Makes me think that, if I'm correct in thinking it can be used both ways, Loop mode would be sufficient for Jerry stuff and preset mode could be literally everything else. At any rate, I think it's a modern marvel due to its size and price, plus those silk screened enclosures are sweet, gonna class up my pedalboard for sure. I hope it comes and goes from the market quickly due to lack of interest. Then it can be my "secret weapon" :twisted:
Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil

Postby TI4-1009 » Thu May 08, 2014 9:41 am

Here's the link to the "how-to" article on making a basic true-bypass strip:

http://www.singlecoil.com/tb-strip/tbstrip.html
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby Bobbybriand » Thu May 08, 2014 10:36 am

hippieguy1954 wrote:Ya still have to have the pedal board, but I'm very happy with the Loop Master. Makes a big difference having every pedal isolated and bypassed. I have the phase shifter and delay in the same loop because I only have 6 loops.

Yes the loopmaster is excellent handmade and can be built in anyway u want. Not to mention affordable. Mine is identical to yours except my 1st 3p3t stomp button goes to inline tuner and cuts off all signal to sms just like Jerry's little metal tuner bypass box he had on top of his rack unit. So you can tune silently between songs or even in the middle of a jam. So I guess the ideal one would have 8loops and 1 more slot for the tuner if your gonna do it jer style to handle his 8 pedals in his 80's shelving rack unit. Any pedal that needs 9volts just to hear your guitar when not using that pedal is not trubypassed eg,Boss,Ibanez,etc. The loopmaster or similar is a must so you dont send your signal through an unused pedal's circuitry. The tonal loss will add up if you have a bunch of non bypassed pedals in your fx chain.
Nice setup hippieguy!
Bobbybriand
Donna
Donna

Postby hippieguy1954 » Thu May 08, 2014 11:10 am

Bobbybriand wrote:
hippieguy1954 wrote:Ya still have to have the pedal board, but I'm very happy with the Loop Master. Makes a big difference having every pedal isolated and bypassed. I have the phase shifter and delay in the same loop because I only have 6 loops.

Yes the loopmaster is excellent handmade and can be built in anyway u want. Not to mention affordable. Mine is identical to yours except my 1st 3p3t stomp button goes to inline tuner and cuts off all signal to sms just like Jerry's little metal tuner bypass box he had on top of his rack unit. So you can tune silently between songs or even in the middle of a jam. So I guess the ideal one would have 8loops and 1 more slot for the tuner if your gonna do it jer style to handle his 8 pedals in his 80's shelving rack unit. Any pedal that needs 9volts just to hear your guitar when not using that pedal is not trubypassed eg,Boss,Ibanez,etc. The loopmaster or similar is a must so you dont send your signal through an unused pedal's circuitry. The tonal loss will add up if you have a bunch of non bypassed pedals in your fx chain.
Nice setup hippieguy!

Thanks, Bobbybriand!
The loopmaster does work very well. Having the pedals all isolated from each other does make a big difference when using them. The six loops works out ok for me because the delay and phase don't mess with each other too much and seem happy in the same loop.
For my tuner, I use an AB box I made based on this: Image
There is a great diagram here too: http://www.wald-electronics.com/misc.html

I plug the guitar (mono cord) into this and can choose tuner or amp (preamp). It sits on top of my rack. It's totally separate from the effects loop. I'm sure either way is fine.
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby TI4-1009 » Thu May 08, 2014 12:20 pm

Could you use that same A/B box to send a guitar signal to one of two different amps?
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby hippieguy1954 » Thu May 08, 2014 1:25 pm

TI4-1009 wrote:Could you use that same A/B box to send a guitar signal to one of two different amps?

Yes!
Jim

hippieguy1954

Postby Bobbybriand » Sat May 10, 2014 6:25 am

hippieguy1954 wrote:
Bobbybriand wrote:

Nice setup hippieguy!

Thanks, Bobbybriand!
The loopmaster does work very well. Having the pedals all isolated from each other does make a big difference when using them. The six loops works out ok for me because the delay and phase don't mess with each other too much and seem happy in the same loop.
For my tuner, I use an AB box I made based on this: Image
There is a great diagram here too: http://www.wald-electronics.com/misc.html

I plug the guitar (mono cord) into this and can choose tuner or amp (preamp). It sits on top of my rack. It's totally separate from the effects loop. I'm sure either way is fine.

Wow that's some artwork. I originally built the cutoff tuner box until I saw the loopmaster offered that option. It's cool to be able to render your system dead when cranked with no pops and turn around and see that only your rack mounted tuner working. Plus like you said the possibilities are endless combinations and loops. Especially it looks like most of your pedals are already trubypassed so any combo u want can be on a single loop especially like you said the ones that get along.
I use my loopmaster by it self to access my pedals on an 80's style shelving unit. I don't have many fx. Qtron,BossEQ,MXRphase90,boss digital delay,mxr 100. Pedals and everything is always on n if u got an obel which is by passable just another bonus.
Bobbybriand
Donna
Donna

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sat May 10, 2014 7:26 am

I almost went the shelf route too, but wanted to spread the weight. This way my rack is that much lighter and the pedal board goes into it's own gig bag. I use it the same way you do. All the pedals are always on. Of course I do have to step on the phase or delay if I want them separate, but it's no big deal as I usually know what effects I'm going to use (if any) in a song before playing it.
I use a rack tuner too and know what you mean about rendering the system dead when a quick tune up is necessary. I just have to take a couple of steps to the rack. That box could also be on the floor with a foot switch in it in stead of the toggle.
I probably would have gone with the tuner out, but I bought my loopmaster used because the wait time for loopmaster is about 4 months these days and I didn't want to wait. I'm happy I could fine one used with the 6 loops. 7 loops with the tuner out would be my preference.
I have the OBEL with Waldo's buffer in my three main guitars. Sure is a bonus :smile:
Jim

hippieguy1954

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone