Just got an mc50!

Re: Just got an mc50!

Postby lunasparks » Fri May 02, 2014 4:59 pm

Jon S. wrote:(Best Scotty voice) I'm a musician, captain, not a purist or engineer. I play guitar and sing. Which is what I'm going back to now! Everyone should buy what he prefers. For me, that's one McI and one Carvin. Prefer something else? Great, all respect to you.

Jon - I hope I didn't offend with my "purist" comment, just wanted to try to highlight a practical distinction based on my experience...especially my time running crazy high volume tests with my MC2105!
lunasparks
Billy
Billy

Postby Jon S. » Sat May 03, 2014 5:30 am

Not at all! I just thought, in response to the thread as a whole, that we've pretty much covered this topic in full and the views and positions of all are known. There's not more I could say on this topic. The sound of one hand clapping is, after all, to move one's hand (that's what I meant by switching from further posting to plugging in!). :-) .
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby williamsaut » Sat May 03, 2014 6:38 am

I agree totally that to each his own. If a Mac is the only line to pure Jerry tone YET "most of Jerry's sound was in his fingers" than what's up? Ultimately the Equipment combinations that fuel your muse as a musician and performer are what's right and right only for you.

Portability and reliability have always been high on the list of requirements for practicing artists. If heavy racks of gear are the only way to reach a minimum standard of sound than so be it. But if you can get satisfactory sound from something less than great. I hate it when my backs hurting before the show even starts!! I personally use a Fender Jazzmaster ultralight and a 212 Weber Neo Cab and they sound great. Not as clean as Jerry but just fine and plenty loud. I have other equipment that I bring out for outside and all day stuff where it's more worth it to lug it all.

All equipment sounds unique unto itself including the Macs. The ear can hear unmeasurable differences in sound so no two combinations of equipment will ever sound the same. Don't waist your time once you've reached an 80%-90% satisfaction with chasing the Jerry tone unless your doing it just for the love of it ( I do ). That last little bit is pretty unattainable except by luck. And of course there's the sound built into Jerry's playing style, The 'it's in his fingers' factor.

The only monkey wrench in my theory is what I've been hearing from what Shakedown's Amp mods. They seem to sound bang on. Right amount of hair and just well, exactly the sound I want to hear in an 80's Jerry tone. Eventually I'm going to have him rework and old Super 6 Reverb that is resting at my folks house.
When the secrets all are told,
And the petals all unfold.
williamsaut
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby Mr.Burns » Sat May 03, 2014 6:43 am

Anyone who feels they need to purge themselves of any and all non-McIntosh power amps in order to become fully purified once again, please remit your dirty nasty old un-purified non McIntosh power amps to Mr.Burns. I will dispose of those wretched heaps of scrap for you free of charge. :wink:
Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil

Postby tcsned » Sat May 03, 2014 6:49 am

I use an MC2100 and I love it, not to bad to haul around as long as you never try to lift it from the ground. I also have a Mosvalve MV 962 that I use as a backup. I've used my Mesa Mark iii as power for the SMS too. It sounded great in the Mesa and really good through the 962. The Mac sounds best IMHO but all are good and all can get a decent Jerry sound.
tcsned

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone