Jerry's Colorsound wah pedal

Jerry's Colorsound wah pedal

Postby PaulJay » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:09 pm

After listening to the amazing Playin' in the band from Sunshine Daydream the other day, I wondered why JG stopped using the Wah Wah pedal. Was it because he liked the Mutron bette ror because his style was changing?
PaulJay
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Re: Jerry's Colorsound wah pedal

Postby TI4-1009 » Thu May 01, 2014 5:36 am

http://www.rukind.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=419&t=12763&hilit=colorsound

Veneta was 72, I don't think Jer got the Mutron until like 77-ish? Best guess is he liked the Mu better, or was happy to let it do all the work for him.... He could get the Mu sounds with his hands, the wah required a foot.

Wait, I'll check.... :lol:

"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby tatittle » Thu May 01, 2014 4:29 pm

It seems like Garcia usually used the wah in a fixed position as a set filter...rather than using it in the way more common: pumping the treadle either in rythym or attuned to phrasing (like Hendrix etc.). So my guess is the Mutron, with the tone rolled down, captured the sound he was shooting for better than the wah. Of course the desired tone likely changed and evolved over time as well. I recall him discussing how he wanted his guitar to sound like an oboe...and the EF with tone rolled off seems closer to my notion of that than the fixed wah.
tatittle
Bear
Bear

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby waldo041 » Thu May 01, 2014 7:29 pm

Still rockin a wah through 83....into 84

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby tatittle » Fri May 02, 2014 4:08 pm

Yeah yeah...Greatest Story E.T. is a tune where he uses the wah more conventionally. Did he ever stop using the wah entirely even on songs like this? I was under the impression he had one on the floor even at the end of his career.
tatittle
Bear
Bear

Postby tatittle » Thu May 08, 2014 12:06 am

I might add that my understanding is the Colorsound wah were darker than the Thomas Organ variety (Vox, Crybaby), which would be a logical choice with such a bright set-up elsewhere. I prefer the Colorsound voice on my Fulltone deluxe...though I find myself using the wah very rarely lately...whereas I used to like to use it all the time...when I played these 2 almost exact guitars through Boogies:

http://photos.jambase.com/1197_9355c162 ... efitn%20(3).jpg

Link rejected I guess: its a pic from the Jambase blog about Weir etc. benefit show where he plays his '59 and another guy has a Maroon LP Custom. Kinda fub=nny to see those 2 guitars on stage together outside of them being mine. Can you tell I regret not having them anymore yet?
tatittle
Bear
Bear

Return to Jerry Tone