Just got an mc50!

Just got an mc50!

Postby Searing75 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:14 pm

It is wonderful! It works perfectly. All original, and I am going to change all of the electrolytics here soon. I added a 1/4 input and output jack first thing, and it adds a great deal of detail and dimension to my tone. It is very, very loud! I am going through one k120, and I could never imagine needing more volume than what it offers. I am so happy with this little guy!m :smile:

Chris
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75
Billy
Billy

Re: Just got an mc50!

Postby hippieguy1954 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:44 am

Congrats and enjoy! Gotta love that McIntosh tone! :cool:
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby Jon S. » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:48 am

I feel about mine same as you about yours. Enjoy!
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby Stella Bloo » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:54 am

Yep,

I compare it to when you don't know you need glasses and then get them. You did not realize what you were missing. I went a long time hearing about these and did not understand what all the hype was, then decided to try one and see.....huge difference in tone. Can't imagine being without it now. The poor Rocktron V300 just sits there....Congrats!
Stella Bloo
Donna
Donna

Postby Searing75 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:49 am

I will still give props to the Carvin DCm200L! It sounds great also, and does great for my Jerry tones. And, it only weighs 4 pounds. It is my back up now. I do feel bad for it, but it understands. :lol:

Anyways, I also love the fact that I can work on the MC50. It's like having an older car that had actual parts to work on rather than computers and plastic stuff.

Anybody know if Jerry had any component upgrades to his Mcintosh?
Searing75
Billy
Billy

Postby Jon S. » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:48 am

Searing75 wrote:I will still give props to the Carvin DCm200L! It sounds great also, and does great for my Jerry tones. And, it only weighs 4 pounds. It is my back up now. I do feel bad for it, but it understands. :lol:

I am your brother-in-tone. :smile:

My main rig:

My backup rig:

"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby waldo041 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:39 am

Searing75 wrote:I will still give props to the Carvin DCm200L! It sounds great also, and does great for my Jerry tones. And, it only weighs 4 pounds. It is my back up now. I do feel bad for it, but it understands. :lol:

Anyways, I also love the fact that I can work on the MC50. It's like having an older car that had actual parts to work on rather than computers and plastic stuff.

Anybody know if Jerry had any component upgrades to his Mcintosh?

Are you saying that the Carvin is the same as the Mc50, or does the Mc50 add something that the Carvin does not?

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Searing75 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:11 pm

I cannot hear a difference yet, but have not played with my band, and that is a setting where I notice differences. Both amps sound great!

The mc50 has a much more profound psychological effect, so I try to be careful of the whole " it sounds better because it's supposed to" thing.

I will know better after next Tuesday nights practice.
Searing75
Billy
Billy

Postby Searing75 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:07 am

Finally played last night with the MC50 in a band setting. It sounded great! I did notice some high end loss compared to the Carvin (changed all of the electrolytics) It did provide that splat sound that Jerry had, and that I have never had before. Been missing that. Another piece of the equation that inspired me to new levels of playing last night. Amazingly loud! I currently use a Super Distortion in the middle PUP, but may switch to a Super II to compensate for the high end loss.

Trying to find the two 4000uf in a short can style like the originals?
Searing75
Billy
Billy

Postby Jon S. » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:11 am

Searing75 wrote:Finally played last night with the MC50 in a band setting. It sounded great! I did notice some high end loss compared to the Carvin

Fascinating. I noticed that with my gear, too, but wasn't sure if it was just me or I was imagining it.
Searing75 wrote: It did provide that splat sound that Jerry had, and that I have never had before. Been missing that.

If by splatt you mean full mids that crunch slightly when pushed, same here, too.
Searing75 wrote:Amazingly loud!

The trifecta! My M50 is capable of getting so freaking loud it scares me. (I sometimes read of people complaining these aren't loud enough for them. They must either be playing fairly sizable venues or their units need upgrading.)

Bottom line: while there's nothing exactly like a McI, the Carvin DCM200L is a darn good alternative if you can't find one for yourself, can't afford one, or prefer the 16 lb., 2U bliss of an SMS pre into the Carvin power amp in a polyurethane short rack.
Jon S.

Postby cmc64 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:25 am

I have an MC250 and it is truly a wonder. When I first got it I hooked it up to my main playback system (Klipsch KLF-15's) and was astonished by how good it sounded. What I found particularly interesting is that I use a Sony DA3000ES as my amp and it while it does have a very nice D/A converter I ran an analog line from my Pioneer Elite DV46AV (which also has a very decent Burr-Brown D/A stage but not as nice as the Sony) straight into the MC250 and it sounded better than the Sony. Very impressive!! You just can not beat a well built analog signal path.

Anyway,, the main point of this post is that I also have a Carvin DCM200L as my backup amp (and an H&K Blues Master as my backup pre) and I must say the Carvin is a very decent amplifier. My only complaint is that it will not support a 4Ohm load in mono but it sounds so good that it hardly matters. I picked mine up used on Craigslist with a 1U SKB portable rack for $150 shipped and the unit was (and still is) in mint condition. So, far any of you guys on a budget who need a solid, lightweight and great sounding power amp, the Carvin is a great choice. For the price, it is almost worth picking one up and keeping it in our rack just a backup. It is rated at 200 watts and it can get LOUD (and stay clean).
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Postby TeeJay » Thu May 01, 2014 7:03 am

Just got my MC50 back from the shop. I have my 8 ohm speakers wired independently to two 1/4 jacks in my 212 cabinet for stereo power use. On the mono MC 50 couldn't I connect two speaker cables on the mac 4 ohm tap and run the cabinet like a 212 in parallel?
TeeJay
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby Searing75 » Thu May 01, 2014 8:31 am

Just wire the 2 8 ohm speaker in parallel and then hook the positive to the 4 ohm tap, and the negative to the common tap.
Searing75
Billy
Billy

Postby TeeJay » Thu May 01, 2014 9:24 am

I am trying to keep the 212 cab wired in stereo for use with other power amps but use it with the mc50 in mono. I thought maybe using two cables off the mac 4 ohm tap into the two 8 ohm speaker jacks on the cab would be the same as paralell.
TeeJay
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby CMB » Thu May 01, 2014 11:47 am

Quick Question: Carvin versus Mc 50.

I mainly play at home and in a small bar. At low volumes is there a noticeable difference between the MC 50 and Carvin?
CMB
welcome
welcome

Next

Return to Jerry Tone