SDS-1 review

Re: SDS-1 review

Postby czyfingers » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:41 am

Fits just like a normal strat pickup, then you adjust to your desired height.
czyfingers
Mickey
Mickey

Postby tatittle » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:09 am

Yes Joe you are right, the SDS-1 is taller and that can cause prob's with some bodies with shallow routing. With my Fender Std. Strat bodies it just barely fits (with original swimming route)--it touches the bottom but the strings still clear, albeit with less room for adjustment than I would like. I think it is too tall for vintage (3 x SC) Fender bodies, though I stopped when the pg didn't sit flush for mounting w/o adjusting the pups higher in pg. If routing is done, only a little needs to come out--there is plenty of wood so routing the body too thin isn't an issue.
tatittle
Jerry
Jerry

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby czyfingers » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:17 am

I guess I should've said I've never had a height issue in the strats I've put them in. But I've always routed mine to a swimming pool, so I can swap any pickups in/out without issues, but in doing so, I never really increased the depth, just hollowed the center. I didn't realize some bodies didn't accommodate them as well. I stand corrected.
czyfingers
Mickey
Mickey

Postby James-T » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:47 pm

Mine was a pro install. I think my luthier routed out a bit of extra space because the SDS sits at the same height as the Area 58. I can't recall exactly but we discussed that as an option. It says right on the literature that the SDS won't fit every situation without modifications.

He also changed the second tone pot to a dedicated SDS volume pot thinking the SDS would over power the 58 and Lil59 but at that height its a perfect match for those 2. :smile:

Peace,

James
James-T
Phil
Phil

Postby joeriz » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:32 am

Thanks, guys...very helpful!
joeriz
Rosebud
Rosebud

Previous