John McLaughlin-Bob Weir Connection

John McLaughlin-Bob Weir Connection

Postby drdead » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:51 am

Was listening to Right Off on A Tribute to Jack Johnson , Miles Davis & John McLaughlin and listening to McLaughlin and kept reminding me of Weir with his rhythm style, I could imagine Weir playing rhythm on that, I know the Ibanez 2680 was modeled after Mclaughlins double neck but hadn't heard if Weir was otherwise a big McLaughlin fan or not, also that tone he has on that would be a killer Weir type tone .
drdead
bruce
bruce
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:27 am

Re: John McLaughlin-Bob Weir Connection

Postby mkaufman » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:53 am

Slightly off topic, however, Bitches Brew always reminded me of the Dead.

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://www.advantech-ny.com/DellComputerWarranty/
mkaufman
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1407
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:26 pm

Re: John McLaughlin-Bob Weir Connection

Postby drdead » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:54 am

this was from a review
"Miles had told McLaughlin to play like he didn't know how to play guitar, and at this he fails miserably. He does succeed, though, in sounding unlike himself in many ways, sticking mostly to chordal comping and avoiding the dazzling signature metronomic runs he'd make so famous with Mahavishnu. His chords, though, aren't exactly Pete Townshend power chords, but rather a virtual guitarist's workbook of alternate voicings and substitutions" Sounds like Weir.
drdead
bruce
bruce
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:27 am

Re: John McLaughlin-Bob Weir Connection

Postby drewfx » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:04 am

mkaufman wrote:Slightly off topic, however, Bitches Brew always reminded me of the Dead.

mk


I remember hearing an interview with Phil saying something like he wanted the Dead to be like the Miles Davis Quintet.
drewfx
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:25 pm

Re: John McLaughlin-Bob Weir Connection

Postby tcsned » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:58 am

I seem to remember something about the Dead playing the night after Miles when he was recording the Live at the Fillmore at least Jerry and Phil were backstage or something and how blown away they were by what Miles was doing and thinking that that's what they were shooting for.
User avatar
tcsned
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:50 pm
Location: Blacksburg, VA

Re: John McLaughlin-Bob Weir Connection

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:37 pm

tcsned wrote:I seem to remember something about the Dead playing the night after Miles when he was recording the Live at the Fillmore at least Jerry and Phil were backstage or something and how blown away they were by what Miles was doing and thinking that that's what they were shooting for.

Phil said something like it was hard to play their " little music " after hearing Miles ..... I think :D
User avatar
Tennessee Jedi
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4225
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:29 am
Location: Bucks Co.Pa

Re: John McLaughlin-Bob Weir Connection

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:22 am

Tennessee Jedi wrote:
tcsned wrote:I seem to remember something about the Dead playing the night after Miles when he was recording the Live at the Fillmore at least Jerry and Phil were backstage or something and how blown away they were by what Miles was doing and thinking that that's what they were shooting for.

Phil said something like it was hard to play their " little music " after hearing Miles ..... I think :D


Miles OPENED for the Dead, 4/10/70. It wouldn't get any more intimidating if they were having to follow Hendrix!

oh and...

Image
Englishtown, NJ 9/3/77 (didn't play it in concert, belonged to one of the Marshall Tucker guys)
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
User avatar
tigerstrat
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4632
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:20 pm
Location: Portland,OR

Re: John McLaughlin-Bob Weir Connection

Postby TI4-1009 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:18 pm

That isn't the infamous "camel toe" photo, is it? :shock:
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
User avatar
TI4-1009
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1589
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:27 am
Location: Upstate NY- Toodaloo


Return to Bobby Tone

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest