TruTron3x

Re: TruTron3x

Postby ccw3432 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:38 pm

I wouldn't suggest trying it until it's well confirmed. At first Mike was explicit about NOT using any other power supply. If that has changed, I'm sure he would be very clear about it. I haven't checked his site or FB to see because I'm good with the wall wart.[/quote]

Agreed. I'm waiting to hear of some solid field testing before I try it.
ccw3432
Billy
Billy

Postby TI4-1009 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:45 pm

TruTron article and MB interview in new (April?!) Vintage Guitar. Review next month.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby jeager » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:59 am

I contacted mike about the power supply question and ended up getting a TRex fuel tank classic. Works great for powering the tru tron, powers the rest of my stuff well too. Took me a long time to make the change from my voodoo labs power ... In the end worth it cause the tru tron really does have something rich and organic sounding about it that the others I have tried seem to lack.

Greta pedal mike thanks for building them again.
"One man gathers what another man spills..."
jeager
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby schmidtz » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:27 am

So now that a few months have passed, what are the opinions on these now that the "new gear high" has worn off? I've been noticing several on eBay, which does not bode well (to me at least)

Have any of you guys with both this and the real deal kept with the TruTron, or have you found yourself going back?
"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."
schmidtz
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby TI4-1009 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:17 am

I have both, I'm keeping both. I use the Trutron more.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

TI4-1009

Postby NSP » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:44 am

TI4-1009 wrote:I have both, I'm keeping both. I use the Trutron more.

Exactly the same here...I find the Trutron a bit more user friendly as far as fine tuning to find the sweet spot. But, I still love the Mu and can't see letting it go...nice to have options :smile:
NSP
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:20 pm

Yep, I've tried a bunch too. I love the Tru-tron!
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby mgbills » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:44 pm

Have both. Keeping them both. TruTron still needs some love. I have the Mu mounted in my rack rig, so it ends up being my go to Quacker. Probably take it to a jam next week with the DR.
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby myoung6923 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:16 pm

I have stuck with the Q Tron for the time being. For a few gigs I plugged the Trutron in with my effects loop, but kept the Q Tron in also. I just have been finding the Trutron to be really finicky in finding the sweet spot. I always went back to the Q Tron - I just get a way better big warm sounding envelope. I know a lot of people have been saying the opposite, but that's not my experience with my guitar and rig.

I keep playing with it at home, but I can't get mine to sound and respond quite right. I mean, I can get it to sound pretty good, just not as good as I would like it.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

http://www.fennario.us
http://www.youtube.com/fennarioband
http://www.facebook.com/fennarioband
myoung6923

Postby waldo041 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:41 pm

myoung6923 wrote:I have stuck with the Q Tron for the time being. For a few gigs I plugged the Trutron in with my effects loop, but kept the Q Tron in also. I just have been finding the Trutron to be really finicky in finding the sweet spot. I always went back to the Q Tron - I just get a way better big warm sounding envelope. I know a lot of people have been saying the opposite, but that's not my experience with my guitar and rig.

I keep playing with it at home, but I can't get mine to sound and respond quite right. I mean, I can get it to sound pretty good, just not as good as I would like it.

Beigel, last i spoke with him, has not yet released a manual for the new trutron yet. There are 2 trimpots on the inside of the unit. The one closest to the footswitch side just above the jumpers should be the decay. You may want to adjust this pot, but the unit only has a 1 year warranty, so be careful if you do mess with it. The other one is to set the L.E.D. Current to the optos and should not need an adjustment. But better yet, send it back to mike and let him know what you are after and get him to adjust the settings for you. Like the qtrons the decay setting can make or break the deal in getting those silky Jerry envelope tones.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby TI4-1009 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:51 pm

Adjusting the trimpot would void the warranty???

TI4-1009

Postby Mr.Burns » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:56 am

I would think opening the enclosure at all would void the warranty. That's the case for pretty much everything electronic these days. Lacking a tamper evident seal it might be hard to prove, though...
Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:28 am

Harumph. Well where's the sport in that?

TI4-1009

Postby myoung6923 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:59 pm

waldo041 wrote:Beigel, last i spoke with him, has not yet released a manual for the new trutron yet. There are 2 trimpots on the inside of the unit. The one closest to the footswitch side just above the jumpers should be the decay. You may want to adjust this pot, but the unit only has a 1 year warranty, so be careful if you do mess with it. The other one is to set the L.E.D. Current to the optos and should not need an adjustment. But better yet, send it back to mike and let him know what you are after and get him to adjust the settings for you. Like the qtrons the decay setting can make or break the deal in getting those silky Jerry envelope tones.

~waldo

Dude! I adjusted the pot down about 1/8th of a turn at a time until I got it sounding really nice! It ended up needing about a 1/2 turn and now it's really nice. I can't wait to put it through it's paces on a big stage this weekend!

Thanks Waldo!
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

http://www.fennario.us
http://www.youtube.com/fennarioband
http://www.facebook.com/fennarioband
myoung6923

Postby waldo041 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:14 pm

Glad you got it dialed in!

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone