Alligator Relic clone?

Alligator Relic clone?

Postby Trecia » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:10 pm

So hypothetically.... Fender does an full up relic custom shop clone of Alligator. Let's say the last used on stage version.
I'm thinking with all the custom fabrication and payments to the estate and just pure hype associated with these guitars we're looking at like 12k. Some here can afford that. Most can't. But that's not the important thing.
How does it make you feel? About the dead cover/influenced band where you see one being played?
About fender? About the Garcia estate? Etc?

I think it's only a matter of time. I'm actually surprised it hasn't been done already.
And for the record I have no affiliation with fender or the instrument industry whatsoever.
Trecia
TC
TC

Re: Alligator Relic clone?

Postby TI4-1009 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:53 am

"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby Trecia » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:43 am

Let me add as the OP I'm not interested in a gator clone or a fender relic version if one comes out someday.
I'm just curious what the feeling is around here.... Because I'm not sure how I'd feel about it myself.
It might be cool to check out one cause it'd prob be as close as I ever got to the real thing. But on the other hand... Bleh
Trecia
TC
TC

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:01 am

I would feel fine about it
And I get what you are saying about the custom shop being so much but really you could just build a reasonable clone far cheaper
Gator doesnt have the world wide cache that SRV's and E.C. guitars do - I would be surprised if they ever offered a 'gator
:smile:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby waldo041 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:24 am

I would be cool with Fender getting permission and access to Alligator from his estate, getting every detail possible from it and then reproducing their research for sale. Like they did with many other famous axes. However, it would be uncool to use information researched by others to sell their version. Or question someone who had permission and got the information in detail about their research to produce a copy for sale. Or ask for specific measurements, specs or details from someone's customers who actually held and researched the actual instrument to undercut and sell their own copy. But again, if they got the permission and did the research themselves I think that would be pretty much the only way a company like Fender could go about making a copy of it.

Just my thoughts on it,

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby gr8fullfred » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:27 am

It would be pretty weird for Fender to ever offer an Alligator replica because:

Except for the pickups, Jerry pretty much ditched most of the strat like features:

1)good bye tremolo, hello hardtail. The tremolo (wammy bar) is one of the things that makes a strat a strat. With no tremolo it ceases to become strat like and starts to be more like an SG.

2)hardtail string tie downs

3)New bridge ( I guess all of these three are goodbye tremolo hello hard tail)

Plus various electronic changes.

Jerry basically de stratified Alligator, I doubt Fender would be interested in doing that!

Jerry liked the single coil pickups (said to Doug Irwin "if it had strat pickups, I could play that shit")

and Jerry liked the Strat scale length. He did not like much else about Stratocasters.

JMHO! Apparently once Wolf arrived, Jerry never picked up another Strat again!
gr8fullfred
Jerry
Jerry

Postby TI4-1009 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:47 am

gr8fullfred wrote:1)good bye tremolo, hello hardtail. The tremolo (wammy bar) is one of the things that makes a strat a strat. With no tremolo it ceases to become strat like and starts to be more like an SG.

Huh???

JMHO! Apparently once Wolf arrived, Jerry never picked up another Strat again!

Well, there was....

"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

TI4-1009

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:48 am

:smile:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:32 am

I have to take this opportunity to say that the one and only thing I cannot stand about Garcia clone/replica guitars is this: now that so many people have built them and uploaded pics, you can't Google "Irwin Tiger" (for example) without getting pics of various Resurrections, Moriartys, etc. Kind of the same thing with entering "Garcia" and you get pics of Kadlecik or Warren Haynes, etc.. Polluted results are becoming more and more the norm. I have even seen informational sites talking about the guitars and reposting pics of replicas, passing them off as pics of the real thing.
Last edited by tigerstrat on Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby broesau » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:41 am

Fender made a Van Halen Frankenstrat clone a couple years ago for $25k. From review I read it was barely playable.
broesau
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby gr8fullfred » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:46 am

Ok got me there, Jerry actually did pick up a strat, it was outfitted with the midi synth controller and used during space, the reason I missed it is that I was probably in the bathroom!
gr8fullfred
Jerry
Jerry

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:58 am

gr8fullfred wrote:Ok got me there, Jerry actually did pick up a strat, it was outfitted with the midi synth controller and used during space, the reason I missed it is that I was probably in the bathroom!

:-)
Tennessee Jedi

Postby TI4-1009 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:44 am

gr8fullfred wrote: the reason I missed it is that I was probably in the bathroom!

too bad- you missed some neat stuff. 8)

TI4-1009

Postby gr8fullfred » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:42 pm

too bad- you missed some neat stuff. 8)

That might be true, but I caught a whole bunch of the neat stuff.............................
gr8fullfred
Jerry
Jerry

Postby jester536 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:47 pm

I've got to agree with gr8fullfred...It would seem strange for Fender to sanction a version of their guitar that clearly went about changing some essential elements...and pretty drastically at that. But with that said ...I would love to see what they came up with.
If the thunder don't getcha then the lightning will!
http://www.reverbnation.com/unchartedwaters
jester536
One More Saturday Night
One More Saturday Night

Next

Return to Jerry Tone