Alligator timeline

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: Alligator timeline

Postby hogan » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:50 pm

strumminsix wrote:
hogan wrote:
RiverRat wrote:image links on first post have been fixed.

Updated description of V3 to include information about the Stratoblaster. I guess that even though I'm worthless, occasionally I got SOMETHING right!

Welcome back man, for real. Stick around, if only for my sake.

I wish you'd stick around too. But if you are the only reason Hogan sticks around, well, maybe :lol:

[howard stern] Hey Now![howard stern]
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:14 am

SundayForever wrote:In the Grateful Dead Taping Compendium Vol 1, there are 2 photos that are supposed to be from 3/24/71 Fillmore West. 1 shows the back view of a headstock that is probably the Irwin Eagle, the other shot shows a Strat headstock which may be Gator.

3/24/71 is going to be the Rick Turner "Peanut" with the SG neck... pre-Alembic, pre-Irwin. As for Alligator, the widely accepted debut is France, June of '71, but maybe you have found something we've missed.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby RiverRat » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:34 am

tigerstrat wrote:
SundayForever wrote:In the Grateful Dead Taping Compendium Vol 1, there are 2 photos that are supposed to be from 3/24/71 Fillmore West. 1 shows the back view of a headstock that is probably the Irwin Eagle, the other shot shows a Strat headstock which may be Gator.

3/24/71 is going to be the Rick Turner "Peanut" with the SG neck... pre-Alembic, pre-Irwin. As for Alligator, the widely accepted debut is France, June of '71, but maybe you have found something we've missed.

Dude... you replied to a SPAM BOT!

That post was a snippet of something I had posted 4 pages and over a year ago.
RiverRat

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:06 am

How embarrassing. Guess I should have thoroughly checked the poster's credentials, dude.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby crazyfingerssotm » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:39 pm

Just some questions to resurrect this thread maybe... Not quite a timeline question though

The Abr-1 bridge seems to be mounted at an angle in some pictures, but in some it looks straight. Is there any truth to that or do my eyes deceive?

Also, I wonder what was underneath that assembly. It looks like wood or brass, but I can't tell at all. Any info on that?

The alembic bridge that stars made as well with the brass plate tail and wood riser and sustain block... The consensus is that the bridge change here affected the tone poorly. True? Is that because of the bridge itself being brass, or what? Likely a combination of variables?
crazyfingerssotm
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby TI4-1009 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:47 pm

Figured the best place to put this was in this (pretty interesting) old thread-

Robert Rusch makes a tailpiece very much like the final one on Alligator:

"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby tatittle » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:52 am

Cool resource. I also saw a "Stars" NOS bridge for sale on ebay recently (forget the exact model), but the guy wanted like $275.00 :(
tatittle
Bear
Bear

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby Jon S. » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:59 pm

I have one of these. I assume it's a Stars. Bought it off of eBay for a project that didn't materialize but who knows what the future may bring? What's cool is the string slots aren't pre-cut.

"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby tatittle » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:33 pm

I haven't seen any info on string spacing with various Alligators...

Vintage Fenders have the wider 2 7/16" or whatever, and modern Fenders--more topically Gibsons--have 2 3/16", correct?
If V.2 had a Gibson ABR that would make the string spacing 2 3/16" right? I have tried a bit to look at polepieces but it is usually impossible to discern such a small variation with angles etc involved.
tatittle
Bear
Bear

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion