Distance from Tiger's PUPs to the strings, nut & bridge?

Re: Distance from Tiger's PUPs to the strings?

Postby lunasparks » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:49 pm

waldo041 wrote: Marty's description on how he does it is exactly how i do it and get the results seen in the photos. keep in mind this is with a properly spaced and placed pickup arrangement AND string height. anything else and ymmv.

~waldo

Waldo, sounds like you're running the true Jerry setup. if you fret the guitar at the 24th fret what are your distance measurements...if you're inclined to indulge my curiosity??
lunasparks
Billy
Billy

Postby Gosseyn3 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:36 pm

Not to rain on anyones' parade, but each guitar is going to be different, so copying any other guitars' PU height is not going to give you what you're looking for. For instance, if the hardness of the wood has made the guitar exceptionally bright you may want to back the PUs off a bit to reduce the harshness, likewise if the PU magnets are extra strong you will need to back off some because the mag field gets more non-linear as you get closer to the magnet (this effect actually works kind of like a reverse compressor/fuzztone - it will just kill your sustain and generate out of tune harmonics). I have a Warmoth WGD which has both problems (I wound my own PUs with enhanced magnetic architecture) and in order to get the clear sweet ringing tone I was looking for, I set the PU height's between 9/32 - 11/32. (way, way down by most folks standards, but the guitar is an absolute joy to play now)

The gist of all this is that each PU on each guitar is going to have a "sweet" spot for height, and the only way to find it is by listening, and turning the height screws 1/2 turn at a time until you get it. You'll find that there is a narrow band of about 1 full turn of the screw where the harshness goes away, but the sound hasn't started to get dull yet - good luck! (once you get there that's the time to measure the height)
Gosseyn3
welcome
welcome

Postby TI4-1009 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:10 am

I'm becoming a beliver in this. Most of my guitars are set up with the pickups on the low side- there are many respected technicians who warn about raising pickups too high and "magnetically interfering with the natual vibration of the string".

The SG I just got had the bridge pickup set very high- almost touching the strings! With light pick attack it sings crystal clear, when I dig in more it gets some hair and will get a wonderful growl if provoked. :-)

I'm going to be doing a lot more playing around with my other guitars looking for that sweet spot. They put adjusting screws on them for a reason. Just measure where you are to start so you can go back if you're not happy.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby Jon S. » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:21 am

Bumped for relevance to auto-wah thread (thanks, waldo and hippieguy).
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby Jon S. » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:07 pm

waldo041 wrote:from the front of the nut (fretboard side).

middle of neck = 20 1/2"
middle of middle = 22 1/4"
middle of bridge = 24 1/16"

peace,
waldo

I'd like to point out something interesting about these measurements which are, of course, accurate.

The "Jerrycaster" I use 95% of the time, FBOW, has a 22 fret board and the middle of the middle PUP measures to be 21 7/8", or 3/8" shy of the bridge. This is something my tech and I will be rectifying relatively soon by moving the 3-humbucker ring up (or down, depending on your perspective) to the bridge.

What surprised me, though, is today, I had a friend who has a boatload of Strats (I have none) measure his, as above, from the front of the nut (fretboard side) to, instead of the middle of middle (humbucker), to the bridge-side edge of the single coil. All of his guitars measured, according to what he just emailed me, at 21 7/8". This would place the active coil on mine (I can actually select each coil but I usually use the one closest to the neck) exactly where the middle single coil would be on a Strat.

This surprised me. I probably misunderstood something I'd read previously but I'd thought the active coil on the middle humbucker in Jerry's axes was also exactly where a Strat middle PUP would be. I guess I'm wrong (unless I'm again missing something).
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby waldo041 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Well, i don't believe the word "exactly" is the word used to talk about how close these are. I have expressed several times that a strat's pickup placement needs to be pushed closer together and more towards the bridge. In fact i worked with Marty Bills in designing a strat pickguard for a strat that has the closer interpretation of Tigers placement for strat's.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby mgbills » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:25 pm

Here is an example of the HHH (Rosebud) configuration. This one was mis-shipped (I hope not mis-ordered, as I just found the mistake 3 minutes ago) for Czyfingers.

You will notice:
a) the bridge pickup moves back approximately 11/32" toward the bridge.
b) the middle pickup approximately 9/16" toward the bridge.
c) and the neck pickup approximately 1-1/16" toward the bridge.

When I reorder Czyfinger'z pickguard, I also order a stock HHS (Tiger) and an SSS. Sorry…didn't have the others stocked.

Needless to say the changes are significant. Based on a thread from last year (from Mr. Wald & others) I believe that one of the most significant changes is that it pulls the neck pickup off the node. I have built some Tiger-ized Strats, and this by far is (to me) the coolest change. That neck SDS-1 has very different & more detailed tonal qualities in this position. I also believe compacting the humbuckers adds punch and definition, but that is more of a subjective qualifier.

I originally contacted Waldo on this, because I was already wanting an inexpensive control cover. If you're building a modified Strat, this pickguard mod is a lifesaver. There are a zillion wires in the Tiger/Rosebud mod, and this streamlines the process tremendously.

If anyone would like to add pickup spacing changes for Wolf-erized Strat with the SSS configuration here are the criterion. Please measure your Wolf very carefully from the back of the nut to the center of each pickup. Ideally, I get measurements from a ScarletFire, a Moriarty, and other renditions as well. Unless of course one of you'all are the actually owner of Wolf. That would actually be ideal!! :smile: :smile: :smile:

I do sell these, but I don't mark them up. All info was a collaboration between Waldo & I, and was nothing I invented. They come from WD Music. Unfortunately they won't drop-ship, and they'll only ship to me as I paid to have the design templates made. They have most colors, and I'm happy to broker a custom pickguard for anyone who wants one. There is shipping from them, and shipping to you. Every color combination has a slightly different cost. Red tortoise seems the most expensive (so far), and this cream colored was the second most at $24.95. I think white/black/white are about $9.95 at last order.

Peace to all. Please excuse the promotional aspect. Since it's non-profit….
M
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby Jon S. » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:10 am

Once again, the depth of knowledge and precision here is unparalleled. Thanks so much for the further clarifications. :smile:
Jon S.

Postby hippieguy1954 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:51 am

Sorry to go slightly off topic again, but....
It would also be very helpful to have the Tiger pickup measurements from the bridge saddle to the middle of the pickups.
Not each saddle. Just one for a ball park reference. If anyone with a Moriarty or equivalent is willing to take the measurements and post them, it would be greatly appreciated.
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby mgbills » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:45 pm

I should clarify a statement above...

Changing pickup spacing is nowhere in the ballpark of adding JBL's, or the right amp to your tonal pallette. But I do think it's a medium level consideration. I would rate it at the level of brass nut, or correct pickups (almost). I guess some day, I should make some sound clips. I have to dig out my #2 Strat and see which pickguard it has.

This is like...my Opinion...Man. :smile: :smile: :smile:
mgbills

Postby TI4-1009 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:43 pm

Dude.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby mgbills » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:04 pm

…And it requires expanded "swimming pool" routing.
mgbills

Postby waldo041 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:06 pm

mgbills wrote:…And it requires expanded "swimming pool" routing.

waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:11 am

Nice! :smile:
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby Jon S. » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:05 am

I don't know if this has been posted before but came across it, looks interesting, thought I'd share it.

http://www.till.com/articles/PickupResponse/
Jon S.

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone