The Wolf

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: The Wolf

Postby paulinnc » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:14 pm

Finally some real progress!!!! I opened my email today to find this little beauty sent to me from my local builder.

paulinnc

Postby Emoto » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:09 am

Nice!
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Postby TI4-1009 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:12 am

With my SG/Wolf build going on I've been doing a lot of Wolf research. Mostly new territory for me since the Wolf was always a distant second for me behind Tiger. Two comments and one question-

I had always though of Wolf as "the 70's guitar" and Tiger as the 80's. Yeah, I had been through the timelines over and over, but when you add it up Wolfie was really only in use for like five years?! Mid 73-mid 75, then Sept. 77 to Aug 79. The Beans were in between.

You always think of Tiger in the SHH configuration, but Irwin's work on Tiger was paralleling the evolution of Wolf. I wonder if in Tiger's early development it was being conceived as an SSS like Wolf was during that time? Wolf didn't go to SHH until "late 78"- less than a year before Tiger was done.

I just noticed in Waldo's (excellent as usual) Wolf 1.0 section "Note: Alembic chrome plated brass bridge with brass saddles and 3/4" purpleheart wood riser inlayed into the body underneath. What's with that?? Did they want a solid sonic connection to the purpleheart core (the studs should have gone down that deep anyway), or did they have to raise the bridge? Or was the riser an Alembic thing? Did the riser stay when they went to the harmonica bridge?
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby paulinnc » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:05 pm

I just got an update photo form my builder, the guitar is nearing completion!!!

paulinnc

Postby Diggey » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:51 pm

That looks great. Btw, who is the builder?
Diggey
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby paulinnc » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:09 pm

This the guy who is doing the work for me. He is local that is why I picked him http://www.wlguitars.com/
paulinnc

Postby TI4-1009 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:02 pm

Interesting Relix interview with a player who got to play Wolf. Nice insights:

http://www.relix.com/articles/detail/neal-casal-on-playing-garcia-s-wolf
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby caspersvapors » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:26 pm

TI4-1009 wrote:Interesting Relix interview with a player who got to play Wolf. Nice insights:

http://www.relix.com/articles/detail/neal-casal-on-playing-garcia-s-wolf

I personally think its awesome that Wolf is out there and still being played. I hope whoever inherits this guitar does the same with it. I look at it the same way as the music, this is Garcias legacy and if we're doing him any justice its to continue playing his music and continue sharing his instruments to play his music. Wouldnt it be remarkable if 100 years from now Wolf is still out there and still being used to pass on The Grateful Dead? Shit like that is how legends are made. To me that is a whole lot more interesting than: "yeah his last guitar is sitting in a display case in Ohio"
Last edited by caspersvapors on Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caspersvapors

Postby tcsned » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:42 pm

Indeed, a guitar not being played is a useless chunk of wood. It sucks the Tiger, Rosebud, and the Cripes are sitting in glass cases not getting played. I like that Casal isn't just playing Dead covers on Wolf he's breathing new life into it while respecting its past. I'll bet that all of those instruments have a lot of music left in them if given the chance.
tcsned

Postby paulinnc » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:33 pm

I got to play my wolf today for the first time. Wow is all I can say. This guitar is the best feeling, sounding and playing guitar I have ever held. Now all I have to do is pay for it. Here are some new pics.

paulinnc

Postby Jon S. » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:42 am

Play the snot out of it!

P.S. A great guitar w/no money is better than money w/o a great guitar. ;)
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion