Funny Bob Moments

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Postby waldo041 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:41 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPgyJYpSmms

Bobby The Rockstar!

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:22 pm

Pigpen wrote:I dont know maybe its just me but i saw a Ratdog show Valintines Day this year and at the start of the second set starts singing My Funny Valintine i thought that was funny :o

That would seem to an impartial reader like just a cool, jazzy-torchy Bobby moment- but knowing Bob, he has a way of turning the most sincere sentimentality into ABJECT CHEESINESS! :lol: (much like when he worked out on "Misty" opening for JGB at Alpine 9/15/89)
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby ELPManticore » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:29 pm

He says something funny on Disc 1 of Dicks Pics (Harper College). I can't remeber it now, but I'll try to find it later tonight.
ELPManticore
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby myoung6923 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:34 pm

Someone - maybe Pig? Tells the crowd "all right, how do you expect us to concentrate when you're screaming?"

Bobby then tells the crowd to start acting like a mature responsible audience.

Jerry laughs and says "don't listen to him"
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

http://www.fennario.us
http://www.youtube.com/fennarioband
http://www.facebook.com/fennarioband
myoung6923

Postby germfisk » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:41 am

At the '72 show at the Springfield Dairy in Oregon, there are all kinds of moments. It is apparently REALLY hot that day, and they are all talking about what it does to the instruments. Bob has some good ones there. But the one I remember the most is at some point, Bob, out of nowhere yells out "Hey Bullwinkle, watch me levitate Garcia!" Totally random and to me, very funny.
germfisk
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby jdasa » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:27 am

I used to have a tape from sometime in '74 with following exchange:

Bob: If your object is to put a bottle on stage, please pass it forward instead of throwing it, or someone may get hurt.

Jerry: Besides, we could use the three cents

Bob: That is also something to consider...

Jerry: Yah, maybe YOU could use the three cents...

The tape was labeled Freedom Halll, Louisville, KY, but I haven't seen or heard it or a long time. Anyone else heard this?
Listen to the thunder shout...
jdasa
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby shakedown_04092 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:01 am

waldo041 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPgyJYpSmms

Bobby The Rockstar!

peace,
waldo

Holy crap, that IS classic. What makes it so good though is the kid in the background cracking up over Bobby's rock star "lunge"....he's laughing through the whole video! Good stuff! :lol:
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Postby Joey-O » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:10 am

Bobby has never ceased to amaze me. Last July I was watching bob play GDTRFB with string cheese and keller at Red Rocks, and bob's outstanding walrus-like mustache suddenly and finally took on new meaning.
At that moment ('goin' where those chilly winds don't blow') I had vivid memories of childhood with my mother telling me that I should eat all the crust on my sandwiches because it 'would put hair on my chest.'
I never did it.
If only my mother had told me 'if you eat all your crust, you will be able to grow a mustache like bob weir's.' ...

The cheese and ratdog songs from these two days at red rocks are great by the way. Also check out bob playing acoustic sets of 'The Weight' and 'Dark hollow' for keller william's encore!
Joey-O
Vince
Vince

Postby strumminsix » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:49 am

jdasa wrote:I used to have a tape from sometime in '74 with following exchange:

Bob: If your object is to put a bottle on stage, please pass it forward instead of throwing it, or someone may get hurt.

Jerry: Besides, we could use the three cents

Bob: That is also something to consider...

Jerry: Yah, maybe YOU could use the three cents...

The tape was labeled Freedom Halll, Louisville, KY, but I haven't seen or heard it or a long time. Anyone else heard this?

I've heard it, or read about it, probably both.

According to deadbase the times they played Freedom Hall:
06-18-74 Freedom Hall, Louisville, Ky.
04-09-89 Freedom Hall, Louisville, Ky.
06-15-93 Freedom Hall, Louisville, Ky.
06-16-93 Freedom Hall, Louisville, Ky.
strumminsix

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:12 am

That would have to be the 1974. By 1989 I hope the deposit was at least a nickel!

The 89 Freedom Hall show was HOT by the way... one of my faves out of that entire SMOKING tour, imho the best Spring tour of the final ten years. Followed CLOSELY by 1990. Start a new thread if that becomes an argument point!!
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Django » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:26 am

Yep. 1974. You can find that at archive.org. I actually just streamed that into a cassette deck. I foot in the past and one in the 'now' :lol:
Django
Bobby
Bobby

At the New Monk

Postby metones » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:05 pm

In 1971 at the New Monk in Berkeley, the venue was headed as Jerry Garcia and Friends. I remember about 10 of us including Jerry, Bob and Phil waiting for the doors to open, Bobby was going crazy freaking out drivers on the street (University Ave.) at a stop light. I remember one poor guy in a Porsche closing his windows and locking his doors. He (Bobby) was acting like an auctioneer trying to sell the cars to us. One of the funniest things I've ever seen. I'm not sure as to what influences may have been involved that evening. The concert was great it included guys from NRPS and Asleep at the Wheel. :drink:
metones
welcome
welcome

Postby Shaggy » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:30 pm

Bob is so unfunny in a cheesy way that he gets away with it.
Shaggy

Postby Shooster » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:47 pm

The my funny valentine he did with Ratdog on Valentines day was cheesy and funny because of the occasion, but I think he opened set two with another one sometime this March.

That's just a little too much for me.
Shooster
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby spilly » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:59 am

I saw the dog a week and a half ago in Rochester. It was a good show. During the drum break in th second set the dude fucks up a very intricate roll and screems "Fuck" in the mic as he stops. The crowed goes ape-shit. So everybody but Bob is on stage and tyhey all come back in together and fumble around on a fire type jam, but it wasn't working well, so Bobby walk on stage with "I can't even leave 'em alone for a minute" look on his face, he picks up the guitar and they were off like a rocket
spilly
Bear
Bear

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Else