Show us your Garcia inspired guitars

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: Show us your Garcia inspired guitars

Postby PaulJay » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:05 am

Thanks Bobby, We all wish we could play like Jerry, at least we can have fun trying. If you ever get a chance to do some sound clips of that strat , I would love to hear what those pick-ups sound like. I have a Greco Strat that I'd like to change the pick-ups in. I want to chose between the 57/62's or the custom shop '69's. Nice job on the Gator. ,Paul
PaulJay
Phil
Phil

Postby bluemule » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:27 pm

I had this one up in the garage sale and it didn't take too long to sell. I am going to miss it but I get to build another one now :cool: I plan on doing one with the typical Wolf sandwich. Also have some figured redwood that is big enough for a one piece body that I want to pair up with a flamed maple neck. FWIW, the all black limba guitar with a set neck gets really close to the big man's sound. The electronics definitely get you most of the way there. This guitar's wood combo has good vibe which I would describe as having smooth highs and the upper mids are very present. The lows and low mids are punchy without getting too muddy. http://s468.photobucket.com/user/cocobo ... brary/Wolf

Facebook Songsmith Instruments
bluemule
Keith
Keith

Postby paulinnc » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:27 pm

From this

To this latest picture I just received today from the builder.

paulinnc

Postby tcsned » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:57 am

Looks awesome Paul, I'm sure anticipation is setting in pretty heavy :-)
tcsned

Postby paulinnc » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:04 pm

Actually it has been so long since I gave the builder the materials I haven't thought much about it until I got the pics. I figured he would let me know when he was working on it so I just went on about my business. Now though, I am getting pretty pysched.
paulinnc

Postby NSP » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:32 am

ao Wolf

NSP
Phil
Phil

Postby tcsned » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:41 am

that's a sweet Wolf! Leo is workin' on mine it's a couple of months away.
tcsned

Postby tatittle » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:52 pm

wowzers...8 DPDT switches on a guitar! I cant see the pic as I write this now, but I am assuming there is no 5 way switch.
tatittle

Location: Johns Island, SC via NJ; Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby tatittle » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:05 pm

That's a gorgeous Tele TC. You've got some terrific guitars!
I been spending a lot of time experimenting on my own but its really time for me to get a proper custom guitar.

I am curious about the bridge. It looks like the brass Schaller . I have one of those I am planning on using on my hardtail Strat Tigerization. I didn't like the sound of the guitar I originally had it on at all, but it was a collection of garbage from stripped projects (MIJ G serial maple strat neck worn out, Tom Delong body heavily worn (maybe cracked too), Dimarzio stacked hb strat pups and a Super Dist). But I noticed when I played hard the strings occasionally popped off the saddles due to the low angle top load. Have you ever had this happen?
tatittle

Location: Johns Island, SC via NJ; Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby bluemule » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:27 pm

tatittle wrote:wowzers...8 DPDT switches on a guitar! I cant see the pic as I write this now, but I am assuming there is no 5 way switch.

Yep no 5-way. They are actually pretty easy to use. Once you get it figured out its fast enough and intuitive.
Facebook Songsmith Instruments
bluemule
Keith
Keith

Postby DHM » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:35 pm

Strings popping off saddles is often a function of the geometry of the guitar...sometimes its as simple as raising the saddles a bit, or a small shim under the neck...strats were not designed for tuneomatic or tuneomatic style bridges so trying to do an Alligator or Tigerized strat is going to require a shim here and there...doesn't Alligator have a shim under the bridge?...

Notches in the saddles..I think Stew mac sells a set of files for just this purpose...make a world of difference in strings popping out...
DHM
tiger
tiger

Postby tatittle » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:16 pm

Shims are something I have thought about but never installed...not even in the neck pockets. I had the notion that it would reduce the uniform vibration but that doesn't seem to be a real issue practically. I do like the angle on Gibson's e.g., I started out on a LP Custom and ES 335 Dot, so Strat's never feel quite right to me (add to that my small hands). Indeed Alligator had a riser under the bridge if I recall correctly, and I think the neck was shimmed to match that.
tatittle

Postby milobender » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:23 am

I realize shimming is a common practice, but I have to say, there is no way that you get the same transfer of energy between a body with a shimmed neck, and one that has a good solid mating surface. I'm sure the audible difference can be argued, but I've never been comfortable with shimming. If I had to, I'd make a pocket sized wedge, test it, remove it and glue it to the body... I like the neck at an angle too, so for my removable neck guitars I route the neck pocket at an angle... it's a bit more work, but keeps the integrity of the mating surface.
IO Custom Guitars
www.iocustomguitars.com
Everything we know is wrong...
milobender

Postby mgbills » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:21 am

I agree with milobender. The old Strat match/business card shim doesn't pass much energy.

Also, I pondered filing saddles for a long time, but decided a proper filing was the way to go. I suppose I'll have the debate again the next time somebody hands me a plated saddle. I hate plated parts near strings. Fine for jack plates & the like.
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby DHM » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:14 pm

yeah its preferable to design the instrument so you don't need shims, but when one is building a parts guitar with a bolt on neck..particularly one with non-standard parts...like a tune-o-matic on a strat, they can be necessary to get everything lined out correctly...I am in the midst of finishing a tele with a bigsby...with the "sort of tune-o-matic" bridge that comes with the bigsby tele bridge-rear pickup mount, and it took a small strip of some thin styrene to get the neck angle right (brand a aftermarket neck on brand b aftermarket body). I'm not so sure about the loss of sound transfer...the shims I use are thin...015-.020"..and you have 4 large bolts through the body into the neck...and there's still a big part of the neck butt contacting the body so there's not much contact lost...but there's always a little trial and error involved in the fitting so they can be a pain...

I'm digging these Jerrycasters...Ive got enough projects pending already so I wont building one soon but its interesting to see what you guys are doing...
Last edited by DHM on Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DHM
tiger
tiger

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion