Show us your Garcia inspired guitars

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: Show us your Garcia inspired guitars

Postby PaulJay » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:05 am

Thanks Bobby, We all wish we could play like Jerry, at least we can have fun trying. If you ever get a chance to do some sound clips of that strat , I would love to hear what those pick-ups sound like. I have a Greco Strat that I'd like to change the pick-ups in. I want to chose between the 57/62's or the custom shop '69's. Nice job on the Gator. ,Paul
PaulJay
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby bluemule » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:27 pm

I had this one up in the garage sale and it didn't take too long to sell. I am going to miss it but I get to build another one now :cool: I plan on doing one with the typical Wolf sandwich. Also have some figured redwood that is big enough for a one piece body that I want to pair up with a flamed maple neck. FWIW, the all black limba guitar with a set neck gets really close to the big man's sound. The electronics definitely get you most of the way there. This guitar's wood combo has good vibe which I would describe as having smooth highs and the upper mids are very present. The lows and low mids are punchy without getting too muddy. http://s468.photobucket.com/user/cocobo ... brary/Wolf

dead, mule, skb, dtb, abb, jgb, moe, phish, buddy guy, blue floyd, old&intheway
bluemule
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby paulinnc » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:27 pm

From this

To this latest picture I just received today from the builder.

paulinnc

Postby tcsned » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:57 am

Looks awesome Paul, I'm sure anticipation is setting in pretty heavy :-)
tcsned

Postby paulinnc » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:04 pm

Actually it has been so long since I gave the builder the materials I haven't thought much about it until I got the pics. I figured he would let me know when he was working on it so I just went on about my business. Now though, I am getting pretty pysched.
paulinnc

Postby NSP » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:32 am

ao Wolf

NSP
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby tcsned » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:41 am

that's a sweet Wolf! Leo is workin' on mine it's a couple of months away.
tcsned

Postby tatittle » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:52 pm

wowzers...8 DPDT switches on a guitar! I cant see the pic as I write this now, but I am assuming there is no 5 way switch.
tatittle
Bear
Bear

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby tatittle » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:05 pm

That's a gorgeous Tele TC. You've got some terrific guitars!
I been spending a lot of time experimenting on my own but its really time for me to get a proper custom guitar.

I am curious about the bridge. It looks like the brass Schaller . I have one of those I am planning on using on my hardtail Strat Tigerization. I didn't like the sound of the guitar I originally had it on at all, but it was a collection of garbage from stripped projects (MIJ G serial maple strat neck worn out, Tom Delong body heavily worn (maybe cracked too), Dimarzio stacked hb strat pups and a Super Dist). But I noticed when I played hard the strings occasionally popped off the saddles due to the low angle top load. Have you ever had this happen?
tatittle
Bear
Bear

Postby bluemule » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:27 pm

tatittle wrote:wowzers...8 DPDT switches on a guitar! I cant see the pic as I write this now, but I am assuming there is no 5 way switch.

Yep no 5-way. They are actually pretty easy to use. Once you get it figured out its fast enough and intuitive.
dead, mule, skb, dtb, abb, jgb, moe, phish, buddy guy, blue floyd, old&intheway
bluemule
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby DHM » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:35 pm

Strings popping off saddles is often a function of the geometry of the guitar...sometimes its as simple as raising the saddles a bit, or a small shim under the neck...strats were not designed for tuneomatic or tuneomatic style bridges so trying to do an Alligator or Tigerized strat is going to require a shim here and there...doesn't Alligator have a shim under the bridge?...

Notches in the saddles..I think Stew mac sells a set of files for just this purpose...make a world of difference in strings popping out...
DHM
tiger
tiger

Postby tatittle » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:16 pm

Shims are something I have thought about but never installed...not even in the neck pockets. I had the notion that it would reduce the uniform vibration but that doesn't seem to be a real issue practically. I do like the angle on Gibson's e.g., I started out on a LP Custom and ES 335 Dot, so Strat's never feel quite right to me (add to that my small hands). Indeed Alligator had a riser under the bridge if I recall correctly, and I think the neck was shimmed to match that.
tatittle
Bear
Bear

Postby milobender » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:23 am

I realize shimming is a common practice, but I have to say, there is no way that you get the same transfer of energy between a body with a shimmed neck, and one that has a good solid mating surface. I'm sure the audible difference can be argued, but I've never been comfortable with shimming. If I had to, I'd make a pocket sized wedge, test it, remove it and glue it to the body... I like the neck at an angle too, so for my removable neck guitars I route the neck pocket at an angle... it's a bit more work, but keeps the integrity of the mating surface.
Everything we know is wrong...
www.9mileskid.com
milobender
Jerry
Jerry

Postby mgbills » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:21 am

I agree with milobender. The old Strat match/business card shim doesn't pass much energy.

Also, I pondered filing saddles for a long time, but decided a proper filing was the way to go. I suppose I'll have the debate again the next time somebody hands me a plated saddle. I hate plated parts near strings. Fine for jack plates & the like.
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby DHM » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:14 pm

yeah its preferable to design the instrument so you don't need shims, but when one is building a parts guitar with a bolt on neck..particularly one with non-standard parts...like a tune-o-matic on a strat, they can be necessary to get everything lined out correctly...I am in the midst of finishing a tele with a bigsby...with the "sort of tune-o-matic" bridge that comes with the bigsby tele bridge-rear pickup mount, and it took a small strip of some thin styrene to get the neck angle right (brand a aftermarket neck on brand b aftermarket body). I'm not so sure about the loss of sound transfer...the shims I use are thin...015-.020"..and you have 4 large bolts through the body into the neck...and there's still a big part of the neck butt contacting the body so there's not much contact lost...but there's always a little trial and error involved in the fitting so they can be a pain...

I'm digging these Jerrycasters...Ive got enough projects pending already so I wont building one soon but its interesting to see what you guys are doing...
Last edited by DHM on Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DHM
tiger
tiger

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion