JGB: Pirate's Party & Pirate's Ball

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Re: JGB: Pirate's Party & Pirate's Ball

Postby Etski » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:18 am

I was at the 76 show! I went down to battery park without tickets to go see the pirate's ball. I had no idea what I was getting into. Tickets had been on sale for days & I had seen several Garcia band shows in the area that week. It sold out before I knew it was a boat ride with the band. One of my friends found someone with tickets but he told me I had to buy them. When my friend took me to the guy, he was a hell's angel and he had some passes for sale. I was nervous, but he told me they were good and I bought them from him. A little while later there was a roar in the air. Next thing we knew, the hell's angels came down broadway in formation! It was a site to behold! There were angels from all over, it was incredible. The boat pulled into the dock & it was flying the flag, Hell's Angels USA. It was mind boggling. I got separated from my friends in the mob scene getting on the boat. I found myself going up a metal staircase on the boat and some people had been going down the same stairway. At the top of the stairs was a huge hell's angel with tattoos all over his belly and an open leather vest. There was a chain across the top of the stairs and this angel(whose name was tiny) looked down at me and said, "gotta pass?". I had the pass in my hand & I held it out, he moved the chain & let me in. I was suddenly surrounded by angels and Garcia walked by right in front of me. I was backstage! There was a large garbage pail full of ice & beers, Heinekens & buds. Garcia grabbed a heine, surrounded by angels, I grabbed a bud. The first 3 rows of the audience were roped off as part of backstage. It was incredible. I remember Bo diddly playing and then eventually Garcia band came out. They rocked the boat. Literally! I remember when they played 'they love each other', Jerry's riff had everyone moving & I swear jerry knew he could tip the boat if he wanted to! I was sitting in the first row next to an angel with a freakin silver gauntlet with interchangeable hook/spike/whatever. It was one of the best nights ever, but also the scariest! As someone else said above, there were tanks of nitrous on board & there was a pic & story about the show in High Times magazine, so they might have supplied it like someone said. The pic actually had someone I knew from high school in it and when I eventually talked to him years later, he told me when the nitrous tanks were empty, some angels threw them overboard! As I said, scary night!
Etski
welcome
welcome

Postby tapestry » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:29 pm

Here is the footage from the legendary pirates ball in 1976 - so tasty!

http://www.concertvault.com/jerry-garcia-band/video/track-1_1013166.html
tapestry
Bobby
Bobby

Postby the highway terror » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 am

the JGB can be seen on the Hells Angel boat party in the film Hell's Angels Forever, Garcia loaned money to complete the film to the Angels Sandy Alexander, who was President in Manhattan at the time.
The movie can be watched for free on Youtube
the highway terror
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby Arminius » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:37 pm

Read some awesome stories in this thread. Laughed my ass of at the fucked up angel that grabbed the mic and mumbles some barely comprehensible phrase.
Arminius
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Previous

Return to Everything Else