Intersound IVP with issues, help needed!

Intersound IVP with issues, help needed!

Postby Deadhead85 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:14 am

So, a few months ago, I bought an Intersound IVP. It was working great, nice and quiet...used through rehearsals and roughly 3 or 4 gigs. Well, the last gig it was used for, it was buzzing like crazy! I narrowed it down to the IVP, after going through all the rest of my gear. I brought it to a shop and they went through and "checked" it all out and cleaned pots. They stated they tried the preamp out with an amp there and it was dead quiet, sounding great. However, once I got it home and tried it, the loud ass buzz is still there! I've tried different cables (all high end), wall outlets, guitars...etc. The shop told me that it could be the preamp not agreeing with something in my amp (Mesa Boogie Mark I). Is this possible?? Has anyone else had this happen? I'm totally at an end with this thing! Could somebody please shed some light and give me some info? It'd be grately appreciated, thank you!
Deadhead85
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Re: Intersound IVP with issues, help needed!

Postby Dozin » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:55 am

Did you try another amp? Have you tried it in a different location outside the home? I had a problem with dirty noise in my home and found out it was those energy efficient light bulbs creating the havoc.
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Postby Dozin » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:58 am

Btw, my IVP was flakey too. Never knew what id get out of mine when turning the power on.
"If you get confused,...
Dozin

Postby mkaufman » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:34 am

Try w/out anything connected to loop 1 or 2. Just guitar -> IVP (input 1 or 2), -> amp (via main output).

You won't get much volume, however, you can connect directly to your speaker cab just to see if there' s any noise w/out a power amp in the chain.

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman

Postby Deadhead85 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:12 am

I will be trying it tonight outside my home, and on my friends Twin. The buzz it produces is just as loud as it was in the bar, I know most older bars are notorious for bad outlets and poor grounding. Its just so freaking loud I cant use the IVP, you can hear the guitar, but the buzz over powers it. The shop claimed they tried the IVP with a couple of their amps and it was said to be quiet and functioned fine. One other thing they said could be the issue is the ground on my amps power cord, I dont think thats the issue though with mine.

Ive tried running it with nothing in either loops....guitar -> IVP -> amp, still a very loud buzz. Just seems like its time for the junk pile for this one.
Deadhead85
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby Dozin » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:19 am

Have you switched guitars? I know these are all the obvious process of elimination but it could be the guitar.
"If you get confused,...
Dozin

Postby Deadhead85 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:23 am

I have tried several guitars, all resulting in the same. My cowboy strat, my semi hollowbody Ibanez, Tele, Casio etc etc.....no change in the outcome, just a steady buzz. :?
Deadhead85
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby waldo041 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:07 am

Did you try a ground lift plug/adapter?

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Deadhead85 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:43 am

waldo041 wrote:Did you try a ground lift plug/adapter?

I happened to have had a ground lift plug adaptor sitting in with my cables for the longest time...plugged it in and tried it, problem fixed!! Thank you very much Waldo, MK, and Dozin for all the help!
Deadhead85
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Return to Bobby Tone