Stage Volume

Re: Stage Volume

Postby strumminsix » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:26 am

Phil Lesh101 wrote:When the stage volume gets too high its usually the guitar players fault... Because they need to play at a certain volume to get that damn jerry tone :?

Too many guitarists think they do. But they don't. One of my favorite examples would be Waldo's Deluxe Reverb type amp. Heard it live. Sounded great and Jerryesque. And he had it at a good level to get the tone but quiet enough to be mic'd into the PA.
strumminsix

Postby playingdead » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:38 am

We played a big stage on Saturday night with our buddies who have an Allmans tribute ... we jammed a few tunes at the end ... four guitarists, four drummers, two bassists and keys ... that was as loud as I've ever heard it onstage. Could not hear my guitar at all during Johnny B Goode.

playingdead

Postby Phil Lesh101 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:02 pm

The Grateful Allman Brothers Dead Band. :cool:
"I didn't ask them to misspell anything to prove their authenticity, but I believe they're legit." ~ Rusty The Scoob.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV9EGVZio2M
https://archive.org/details/DA2013-10-19
Phil Lesh101

Postby fulltone1989 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:35 am

tcsned wrote:It's a tough balance. Being loud enough so that your not just hacking as hard as you can and losing subtleties and being so blisteringly loud that you hurt yourself much less everyone else within 100 yards. Placement of your amp can help, if your speaker cab is on the ground it's not pointing at your ears . . . unless your ears are in your ass (I've been accused of having my head there . . .) If you use a combo amp, get a stand for it or put it on a chair to get it pointed in your direction. If you have a speaker cab tilt it back or lift it up. You don't want to be out of balance with the volume of everything else on stage or else you're just listening to yourself and not the other players which may be more important to making good music. Loud is cool, louder than everyone else is not so cool.

Getting a stand is super helpful for hearing yourself better, in turn requiring less volume to do so. With a hollowbody it's easier to coax harmonic feedback and subtleties in your tone so you sound better too! A road case is fine or even a strong chair is better than nothing. Milk crates have not yielded the desired tonal effects by YMMV
Gibson ES339 and LP Studio w/ WCR Fillmores, heavily-modded PRS SE Custom. Fuchs ODS 50 Mod, Groove Tubes Soul-O 45. Emi RW&B, EVM12L, and Weber cali cabs. Lots of pedals collecting dust wabbits.
fulltone1989
tiger
tiger

Postby TI4-1009 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:21 am

fulltone1989 wrote: Milk crates have not yielded the desired tonal effects by YMMV

Right. Chocolate colors the sound, vanilla is too bland.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby fulltone1989 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:21 am

TI4-1009 wrote:
fulltone1989 wrote: Milk crates have not yielded the desired tonal effects by YMMV

Right. Chocolate colors the sound, vanilla is too bland.

Spot on! While I have found Hood crates to solicit a better base response, the Oakhurst crates add great string separation and clarity.

Seriously though, a stand of some king is great for reducing stage volume. Are you trying to get to the "sweet spot?" Maybe a Hot Plate would help?

:wink:
Gibson ES339 and LP Studio w/ WCR Fillmores, heavily-modded PRS SE Custom. Fuchs ODS 50 Mod, Groove Tubes Soul-O 45. Emi RW&B, EVM12L, and Weber cali cabs. Lots of pedals collecting dust wabbits.
fulltone1989
tiger
tiger

Postby strumminsix » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:59 pm

Old thread, may have said this before but will again: if you feel your tone comes from the perfect of driving preamp tubes + poweramp tubes + speaker saturation... And you want to gig. Buy multiple amps.
strumminsix

Postby tcsned » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:56 pm

strumminsix wrote:Old thread, may have said this before but will again: if you feel your tone comes from the perfect of driving preamp tubes + poweramp tubes + speaker saturation... And you want to gig. Buy multiple amps.

Good advice. At a certain point you have to decide that playing out and having an audience enjoy your playing is more important than cranking up to an ungodly level and hurting people.
tcsned

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:44 pm

It's hard to judge what impact your volume is having out in the audience... I like to use them as a guide. If they come right up to the front of the stage, you're doing well. If they hang way back, you're probably too loud.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby tcsned » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:49 pm

Rusty the Scoob wrote:It's hard to judge what impact your volume is having out in the audience... I like to use them as a guide. If they come right up to the front of the stage, you're doing well. If they hang way back, you're probably too loud.

A little awareness goes a long way. Fingers in their ears is another good sign you're too loud.
tcsned

Postby anddave » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:56 pm

What a great thread full of excellent advice for all levels of experience, and a few cool pics too. Every bit of advice I can think of has been said or nearly said. I think one tip is underemphasized: the bandmates working together part. Having all the band members share a common understanding about managing the overall volume is essential. Cheap equipment and impossible rooms can be overcome by it. Great equipment and a perfect theater can go to waste without it. Sometimes the reason you can't hear yourself is because you haven't told your mates to ease up.
anddave
welcome
welcome

Postby myoung6923 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:28 am

Overplaying can also lead to this. When played right, there should be space in the music for each instrument. When you get people banging and strumming wildly at just causes a mush of sound - and the volumes start to go up. Less is more.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

http://www.fennario.us
http://www.youtube.com/fennarioband
http://www.facebook.com/fennarioband
myoung6923

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:24 am

The Watkins Glen Soundcheck Band
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Previous

Return to The Think Tank