Boost pedals

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: Boost pedals

Postby Jon S. » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:28 pm

hippieguy1954 wrote:I see a 1995-2000 date on that schematic. I'm not sure who's was out first, his or mxr.

The source circuit appeared in the National Semiconductors Linear Application book published in the 70's. Only $10 for the full story from the horse's mouth. :D http://www.muzique.com/pcb.htm#amproj
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby waldo041 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:57 pm

From what I can tell the MXR Micro Amp is an opamp based booster and Mr.Ormans is a MoSFET booster. 2 different circuits entirely.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Jon S. » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:16 pm

Well that clarifies that! Thanks.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby waldo041 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:00 pm

hippieguy1954 wrote:
waldo041 wrote:The Mu-tron 3's input stage is a very nice transparent boost. It is the circuit in use when it is in its bypassed state. Granted it would need to be built and have a bipolar power supply, but it is a pretty decent effect.

~waldo

That seems very interesting!

Should be, it was also the buffer he used when the OBEL was first introduced! :)

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby hippieguy1954 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:11 am

waldo041 wrote:
hippieguy1954 wrote:
waldo041 wrote:The Mu-tron 3's input stage is a very nice transparent boost. It is the circuit in use when it is in its bypassed state. Granted it would need to be built and have a bipolar power supply, but it is a pretty decent effect.

~waldo

That seems very interesting!

Should be, it was also the buffer he used when the OBEL was first introduced! :)

~waldo

Very interesting. I guess he liked it? Did he ever utilize it's function in the Mu? There was a post somewhere about that, but I can't find it or remember what it said.
I'd certainly like to try that out in a pedal. Are you thinking of offering a pre assembled board? :smile:
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby Jon S. » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:47 pm

I got a good price on a used TC Electronics Spark Mini Boost so I bought it. What impressed me about it is the reviews are uniform that it's a truly transparent boost and its simplicity. When it arrives, I'll A-B it with my Fulltone Fatboost and post the results.

Jon S.

Postby milobender » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:46 pm

Your pardon for shameless self-promotion:

I'm happy to build Orman Mini-Boost clones if anyone is interested, on board or in a pedal... PM me if so :smile: :smile: :smile:
Everything we know is wrong...
www.9mileskid.com
milobender
Jerry
Jerry

Postby caspersvapors » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:10 pm

just fyi, ProGuitarShop has a 20% off sale on pedals when you use the code : ONEDAY20

it doesnt work on all pedals but it does for the Spark Booster, I just got the regular spark booster with the coupon

http://proguitarshop.com/effects/pgs-sa ... mit=48&p=8

in that link theres 8 pages of pedals that will work with the code
caspersvapors

Postby Jon S. » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:59 pm

Those are good deals. Thanks for sharing the info.!
Jon S.

Postby flyingheelhook » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:13 am

Why am I always a day late??? :? :? :? :lol: :lol: :lol:
flyingheelhook
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby James-T » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:48 pm

I just purchased a vintage MXR Mico Amp circa 1979 - they one without the "on" diode. Found it at a guitar store in Winnipeg on a business trip. I have to say this thing is amazing. More of a fat boost than a clean boost and gives my guitars that sparkle and light OD that I've been looking for and chords still ring out true and not muddy - like a good early 78 Jerry tone.

I've tried it on my 73 Twin - fattens a the thin tone, and on my Blues Deluxe - pushes the amp into full OD when at 3:00 and with the FX Ultra just makes any amp setting sing.

I've been using a Dunlop MC402 MXR Boost Overdrive up until now and the clean boost on that pedal is just to transparent, more of a volume boost and less of a fat boost. The vintage Micro Amp is way better. It just seems that all my vintage pedals are way better than their contemporary counterparts.

I'd really be interested in A/B'ing it with an Earth Drive.

Peace,

James
James-T
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Kennay » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:15 am

Can the frying pan Q-tron be used as a boost? It has a bypass jack. Would it need to be modded?
Kennay
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby Jon S. » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:10 am

I'm realizing I never returned to post my Spark results. Bottom line: much prefer the Fulltone Fat Boost 1. Despite the hype/advertising, the Spark had a "compressed" sound/feel to me whereas the Fat Boost sounds/feels more "open." Not a knock per se on the Spark - it may be perfect for your app - but wasn't what I was seeking. At this point, having A-B'd in person the Fat Boost 1 with several good boost pedals (or pedals that can be used for a boost), including the Earth Drive, I'm confident the Fat Boost 1 is for me and will not be searching further in this vein.
Jon S.

Postby tatittle » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:37 am

I have used an EP Booster, a Silly Rocket (microamp and 3 voicings), and some Im forgetting. The EP PRE (different than 1st pedal mentioned) is a replica of the Echoplex preamp that adds some boost and color as well, I love it but it only has like 6dB of boost I think. I find the GE-7 Boss Gaphic EQ to work great as a boost, and I also use a Plush Pure Gain Plus (2 channels) sometimes. I imagine you are looking for something that will not color at all, hence you would place it at the end of the line. I still haven't used an Earth Drive in my rig, considering it is recommended on the Pink Floyd site as well that is next.
tatittle
Bear
Bear

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion