Auto wah/envelope filters

Re: Auto wah/envelope filters

Postby kadidog » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:41 am

The 3 leaf audio protron is fantastic and reasonable. IMO best pedal out there relative to the original mutron.
kadidog
Vince
Vince

Postby Lephty » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:25 am

I just did a gig with a 3-Leaf Proton for the first time. Blew me away, actually. Very warm envelope sounds, plenty of bite to cut through the mix, but none of that "ice pick" sound that envelope filters sometimes give you. Plus it barely takes up any real estate on the pedal board. I think the recording of the show came out pretty good--I'll see if I can post a clip.

This is probably the 6th or 7th envelope filter I've tried, and I think I may finally have found a keeper!
New member's area open at http://www.highcountryguitar.com
Ideal practice tools for improvisation
Lephty
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby Jon S. » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:26 am

I'm extremely intrigued by the Proton love. Do y'all have the latest version with the added decay knob?

"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby Searing75 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:46 pm

Madbean Nautilus for days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75
Billy
Billy

Postby joethepainter » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:36 pm

Jon S. wrote:I'm extremely intrigued by the Proton love. Do y'all have the latest version with the added decay knob?

I have a Proton v1 with a decay chip mod, but no decay knob. The mod allows the envelope to remain open longer. Here's a short clip of it on an Estimated jam. I have since tweaked the settings, and my rig as well, and it's sounding chewy and whompy. I like it a lot. I also have an original big box Q-tron, and I prefer the Proton.
https://soundcloud.com/sausage-fingers/estimated-jam
joethepainter
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby Jon S. » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:00 pm

Thanks, joe.

A couple of quick follow-up questions for joe or anyone: (1) Do you need to precede your Proton with a compressor to level out any peaky highs or is it usable as is "straight?" (2) Does it react well to being followed by a clean boost or mild overdrive?
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby joethepainter » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:32 pm

Jon S. wrote:Thanks, joe.

A couple of quick follow-up questions for joe or anyone: (1) Do you need to precede your Proton with a compressor to level out any peaky highs or is it usable as is "straight?" (2) Does it react well to being followed by a clean boost or mild overdrive?

Hey, Jon

I haven't tried either, so I can't help you there, but I have run an octave with a pretty hot signal behind it in NFA jams, and the envelope was 'evener', not spiky at all, with a smooth and creamy overall tone, and a slight grit (mainly from high volume). I'm sure others will chime in with more direct answers for ya.
joethepainter
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby Jon S. » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:49 am

This Proton review vid is blowing me away. Jerry to funk to The Edge. Impressive!

http://thaddeushogarth.berkleemusicblog ... pe-filter/
Jon S.

Postby Smolder » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:18 am

I had version one of the Proton and could never quite get it to sound right... way rounded and bit mid heavy.. like it had a blanket of it. Granted I did not have an OBEL, and use a waldo footswitch buffer. Also built a nautilus and it's all over the map with signal strength. Bought the trutron and it's worked perfect from the get go. Super clear tone and very reactive to pick attack.
Smolder

Postby Jon S. » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:41 am

I don't think you can fairly assess a pedal of this nature without the buffer and OBEL, both of which I have in my "Jerrycaster." I like the price and features, including footprint and use of a standard Boss-type power supply, on the 3 Leaf. But regardless, mine is now on the way.
Jon S.

Postby Smolder » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:51 pm

Yep... have the buffer, but not the OBEl... and that's exactly why I mention it because it seems like they would behave differently.
Smolder

Postby Jon S. » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:34 am

Thanks, everyone, for your input, and in a couple of weeks I'll return and post my own review.

And BTW, I have a decent live recording now of me on my Line 6 M13's Tron Up model soloing on West LA Fadeaway. I'm a total lame-ass when it comes to editing and posting sound clips but perhaps I can get a friend to help me out here to add my clip to the thread.
Jon S.

Postby hippieguy1954 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:40 am

It actually very easy once you have "it" on your computer. You can download a music editor for free to cut out stuff you don't want etc. I can't remember the one I use and that computer is down right now. I'll find out. There are a bunch. Use a simple one.
After that, you can just upload it to any music sharing site. Sound Cloud or Reverb Nation are two I can think of.

1 Create a free Sound cloud account. Here: https://soundcloud.com/

2 Upload "it" to sound cloud and save.

3 Log out of sound cloud,(so you don't give out a link that has you signed in etc)

4 Use the sound cloud search to get to your music.

5 Copy the URL address of that page and paste it in your post here. Anyone who clicks it will be redirected to that sound cloud page with your music.

Like this: https://soundcloud.com/jammindead

Edit: That Deal needs to be redone. I'm very self conscious when recording and screw up a lot. I will over come! Stay tuned. :smile:
Last edited by hippieguy1954 on Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby Smolder » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:14 am

I don't do any complicated editing... but use Quicktime 7 on my mac to clip stuff off of the front and back end of recordings. There is a more current quicktime player, but it doesn't have the editing function.
Smolder

Postby hippieguy1954 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:52 am

Smolder wrote:I don't do any complicated editing... but use Quicktime 7 on my mac to clip stuff off of the front and back end of recordings. There is a more current quicktime player, but it doesn't have the editing function.

+1 All I do is clip the beginning and end also.
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone