HELP!!!! Wolf OBEL or Alembic Blaster Problem

HELP!!!! Wolf OBEL or Alembic Blaster Problem

Postby ac4468 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:56 pm

I have lurked around here for some time doing research but never posted. You guys are a great resource! I have a new Wolf build that is 99% complete. I used Mike Walds Wolf 3.0 wiring schematic. The problem is that the volume when the OBEL is engaged is MUCH louder than when it's disengaged. In fact the volume seems to go from minimal to full between 0 ans 2 on the volume pot. What is a 1 on the OBEL is an 8 when the OBEL is switched off. The confusing part is that if I turn off the individual effects in the effects loop but leave the OBEL engaged, the volume is exactly te same as when I turn the obel off (as it should). I have ruled out the effects themselves. I have tried my delay, qtron, distortion with the same results. I have tried them direct from the guitar output and the volume when the effects are on and off is roughly the same. I had a guy who knows about electronics etc check my work and after an hour of looking we couldn't find a problem.

I tested the Alembic blaster and it is indeed working with and without the OBEL engaged.
When I adjust the gain on the blaster it does increase/decrease as it's supposed to for both the OBEL on/off. It doesn't however have an effect on the difference between the two.

What really baffles me is that the volume is consistent with the OBEL engaged or disengaged providing the effects in the loop are off. What is causing the increase in volume from the effects?????

Mike wald has been very helpful but I'm willing to look for any insight as to where I should look next. Could it be a ground issue or could a bad OBEL cable (from Lieber Guitars). I'd post a picture but the "board attachment quota has been reached"

Anthony

Also thanks to Leo at Scarlet Fire Guitars and Robert at Rusch Guitars as well as Mike Wald for their help with parts and advice on this project.
Last edited by ac4468 on Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ac4468
tiger
tiger

Re: HELP!!!! Wolf OBEL or Alembic Blaster Problem

Postby milobender » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:22 am

Anthony, I think I've recently done the same thing by mistake :x You've probably hooked it up so that the main volume's taper is reversed... Anyway, my symptoms were very similar...

On the main volume pot, looking down at in from the back, as it's installed in the guitar, the right lug should be the ground, the middle should go to the output jack, and the left is the input to the volume.
IO Custom Guitars
www.iocustomguitars.com
Everything we know is wrong...
milobender
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby ac4468 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:19 am

I just rewired that way and I think that was a big help. I've tried so many things it's all becoming a blur at this point what's made the biggest difference. Is it possible there's a difference in the lugs on ALPHA vs CTS pots? Either way it seems there's a much more consistent volume control now. I wish I understood the science behind more of this. Learning as I go!

Thanks for the help!
ac4468
tiger
tiger

Postby waldo041 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:20 am

Not sure if was the same issue as MB's, this issue only presented the volume difference when an effect was engaged. With the OBEL bypassed it worked normally. MB, your issue was on both sides of the switch. I guess it is possible they were similar issues, but i don't think they were identical. That all said, i am just happy both of you guys got your axes working! :cool:

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby milobender » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:39 am

Yes, there's more to this problem than mine... I was focused on the 0 to 2/full volume on the main volume pot symptom "o) I recognized that straight away :smile:

...and no, there shouldn't be any difference between the lugs on different mfgs.
IO Custom Guitars
www.iocustomguitars.com
Everything we know is wrong...
milobender
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby ac4468 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:47 pm

Last edited by ac4468 on Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ac4468
tiger
tiger

Postby TI4-1009 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:00 pm

ac4468 wrote:http://www.flickr.com/photos/114139893@N07/11896791766/lightbox/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/114139893@ ... /lightbox/

Nice Wolf! How-to photo:

http://www.rukind.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=359&t=12940
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby ac4468 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:21 pm

Added some pics of the build process. I think the family is happy it's done!
ac4468
tiger
tiger

Postby Searing75 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:37 pm

Great job man! That is a beautiful guitar!

The only thing that comes to mind with your wiring issue is that maybe one of your effects is boosting your signal and giving you the high volume. Or was that the other way around?
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby ac4468 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:48 pm

That was my first thought but none had any serious impact on the volume when ran direct from the guitars output. I wish I knew exactly what I corrected but after some re-soldering and minor changes it seems like it may be correct now. Need to give my brain a rest before I investigate any further!
ac4468
tiger
tiger

Postby Searing75 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:25 pm

Yeah. Sometimes it is just best to walk away for a while. Hard to do, but best. Happy for ya' man. :-)
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Return to Guitar Building and Mods