Show us your Garcia inspired guitars

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: Show us your Garcia inspired guitars

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:51 pm

Finished modifying my Carvin. It's a permanent addition to my small collection. Wired per Tiger with OBEL and Waldos buffer only with master tone and one split coil switch for both super2's.

Image
Image
Image
Image

Edit: Working on recording some stuff and will post when finished.
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
User avatar
hippieguy1954
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1350
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:29 pm
Location: Upstate, NY

Re: Show us your Garcia inspired guitars

Postby hippieguy1954 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:37 am

As promised, here is me playing lead with the Carvin/tiger and acoustic rhythm guitar and P bass with a drum machine through the set up in the pics. The only effect I use here is the ED during the solos. I recorded the rhythm, bass and drum machine. Then I played that through the PA and played along and sang while recording the whole thing.

All first takes and I apologize for my sloppy playing and for getting lost in the solo a few times. Just over look that :lol: Nice little jam at the end :shock:

I'm kinds new at this recording thing. The volume and sound quality isn't very good on sound cloud unless you use head phones or a stereo. It's much louder when I listen to it from the recorder. You'll get the idea.

Any thoughts, criticisms or suggestions are always appreciated! :smile:

https://soundcloud.com/jammindead
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
User avatar
hippieguy1954
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1350
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:29 pm
Location: Upstate, NY

Re: Show us your Garcia inspired guitars

Postby Eyesoftheworld » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:54 pm

Here my Jerry Guitar:

http://beta.gbase.com/gear/greenman-guitars-greenman-lola-jerry-garci-20

I am getting an Inlay put in the tail section and on truss rod cover will update you all when its done
User avatar
Eyesoftheworld
tiger
tiger
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: Show us your Garcia inspired guitars

Postby HeadSpace » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:16 am

Interesting and kind of different, for sure.

How do the 2 5-way switches work?
HeadSpace
Pigpen
Pigpen
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:13 pm

Re: Show us your Garcia inspired guitars

Postby Jon S. » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:01 am

Eyesoftheworld wrote:Here my Jerry Guitar:

http://beta.gbase.com/gear/greenman-guitars-greenman-lola-jerry-garci-20

I am getting an Inlay put in the tail section and on truss rod cover will update you all when its done

Let me guess. When you're not playing your Jerry guitar you're a Strat player?

(Only a Strat player would situate a switch so high up on the body - the rest of us would cut our palms on it. :P )

P.S. It's a stunningly beautiful guitar.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
User avatar
Jon S.
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1508
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Show us your Garcia inspired guitars

Postby Eyesoftheworld » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:25 am

the one 5 way switch is for the pickups the other is for the sustainiac pickup
http://www.sustainiac.com/

and the switches don't get in the way with strumming for me. JonS yes I do play a strat as well. I didn't design the guitar so I had no input on where the switches went hehe. Thx
User avatar
Eyesoftheworld
tiger
tiger
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: Show us your Garcia inspired guitars

Postby PurpleTrails » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:37 pm

hippieguy1954 wrote:As promised, here is me playing lead with the Carvin/tiger and acoustic rhythm guitar and P bass with a drum machine through the set up in the pics. The only effect I use here is the ED during the solos. I recorded the rhythm, bass and drum machine. Then I played that through the PA and played along and sang while recording the whole thing.

All first takes and I apologize for my sloppy playing and for getting lost in the solo a few times. Just over look that :lol: Nice little jam at the end :shock:

I'm kinds new at this recording thing. The volume and sound quality isn't very good on sound cloud unless you use head phones or a stereo. It's much louder when I listen to it from the recorder. You'll get the idea.

Any thoughts, criticisms or suggestions are always appreciated! :smile:

https://soundcloud.com/jammindead


I'm curious about the Carvin, how hard it was to do the conversion, and one design choice you made. I really like the feel and looks of Carvin guitars, and really like how you got a very understated Jerry style axe out of yours. I've been thinking of picking up a Carvin and doing a conversion myself, and would like to ask you a few questions.

1. Did that start out a DC127, DC145 or what? It looks like you filled in a humbucker rout in the neck position, and I'm wondering if you routed out the middle from scratch or just widened out the single coil route on a 145.
2. What wood is the Carvin? Alder? Swamp ash? It seems a little lacking in a little high end sparkle, or maybe a tad scooped, at least listening on my computer speakers. I'm thinking about buying a claro walnut DC400 as a platform for the wood selection, looks and additional control options.
3. How hard was it to change out the electronics? I've read that it is kind of difficult to fit in milspec type pots in a carvin.
4. Why did you decide to put the jack plate on the face of the guitar rather than get one of the carvin stereo plates for an end installation.

Thanks in advance.
User avatar
PurpleTrails
Rosebud
Rosebud
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:46 pm

Re: Show us your Garcia inspired guitars

Postby czyfingers » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:33 pm

Question for hippieguy....what's that situated in your rack in between the tuner and the drawer on the bottom?
czyfingers
Mickey
Mickey
 
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Poughkeepsie, New York

Re: Show us your Garcia inspired guitars

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:05 am

PurpleTrails wrote:
hippieguy1954 wrote:As promised, here is me playing lead with the Carvin/tiger and acoustic rhythm guitar and P bass with a drum machine through the set up in the pics. The only effect I use here is the ED during the solos. I recorded the rhythm, bass and drum machine. Then I played that through the PA and played along and sang while recording the whole thing.

All first takes and I apologize for my sloppy playing and for getting lost in the solo a few times. Just over look that :lol: Nice little jam at the end :shock:

I'm kinds new at this recording thing. The volume and sound quality isn't very good on sound cloud unless you use head phones or a stereo. It's much louder when I listen to it from the recorder. You'll get the idea.

Any thoughts, criticisms or suggestions are always appreciated! :smile:

https://soundcloud.com/jammindead


I'm curious about the Carvin, how hard it was to do the conversion, and one design choice you made. I really like the feel and looks of Carvin guitars, and really like how you got a very understated Jerry style axe out of yours. I've been thinking of picking up a Carvin and doing a conversion myself, and would like to ask you a few questions.

1. Did that start out a DC127, DC145 or what? It looks like you filled in a humbucker rout in the neck position, and I'm wondering if you routed out the middle from scratch or just widened out the single coil route on a 145.
2. What wood is the Carvin? Alder? Swamp ash? It seems a little lacking in a little high end sparkle, or maybe a tad scooped, at least listening on my computer speakers. I'm thinking about buying a claro walnut DC400 as a platform for the wood selection, looks and additional control options.
3. How hard was it to change out the electronics? I've read that it is kind of difficult to fit in milspec type pots in a carvin.
4. Why did you decide to put the jack plate on the face of the guitar rather than get one of the carvin stereo plates for an end installation.

Thanks in advance.


1-It started off as a DC135 3 pickup guitar. I did a "swimming pool route". I used a dremel and a hammer and chisel set. :roll:
Those little black squares are pieces of tape to see where I wanted the mini toggle switches.
Image

2-Maple neck through and alder body wings.
That whole recording sounds scooped to me except when I listen with head phones directly into the recorder. Headphones into the computer isn't too bad, but even when I plug the recorder into the stereo it's really scooped. It's a Tascam DR-05. Works well, but sounds different through different things. Very basic recorder I have for recording jams/rehearsals etc.

3-It was very easy to change the electronics. I just gutted the control cavity except for the tone pot and five way switch. There wasn't much to it because it was wired like a strat with a master tone.
I used the existing tone pot as it is a high quality mini 500k pot that feels and works great. I just changed the capacitor.
I might change the 5 way, but so far the original seems fine.
Image

For the 25K volume pot I also used a high quality mini pot. The milspec pot fit ok, but I wanted a little more room for Waldo's buffer and the battery. Can't remember the brand. I'll look when I get a chance. I think it's a Bourns.

4-I decided to put the jack plate on the front because I like the look and because I like the way the chords flow better from the face.

This is the guitar before any modifications:
Image
Custom Shop Instrument Details:
Base Price: $ 799.00
DC135 - Three Pickup Guitar
Right Handed
$ 0.00 - - - Fixed Bridge w/ Strings Through Body
$ 10.00 - 29 - 5 Way Lever Switch with 3 AP11 selected option
$ 0.00 - TF - Tung-Oiled Satin Neck & Body
$ 0.00 - -MA - Maple Neck/Alder Body (Standard)
$ 0.00 - -PH - Headstock To Match Plain Wood Body Color (Standard)
$ 0.00 - -IN - Inline Headstock (Standard)
$ 0.00 - -EB - Ebony Fingerboard (Standard)
$ 0.00 - -DI - Dot Inlays (Standard)
$ 0.00 - -FR - Med-Jumbo Frets .048" H .103" W (Standard)
$ 0.00 - -R12 - 12in Fretboard Radius (Standard)
$ 30.00 - BC - Black Hardware
$ 0.00 - -135S - C22B & 2 AP11 Pickups w/ 3 On/Off Switches (Standard) Not Wanted
$ 0.00 - -400 - Black Coils w/ Black Bezels (Standard)
$ 0.00 - BL - Black Logo
$ 0.00 - -46 - Elixir 1046E Light Gauge .010 - .046 (Standard)
$ 0.00 - HC11S - Form-Fitted ABS Hardshell Case FREE
Last edited by hippieguy1954 on Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:30 am, edited 7 times in total.
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
User avatar
hippieguy1954
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1350
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:29 pm
Location: Upstate, NY

Re: Show us your Garcia inspired guitars

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:14 am

czyfingers wrote:Question for hippieguy....what's that situated in your rack in between the tuner and the drawer on the bottom?


That is a very old DOD spring reverb unit I only use once in a great while. It is not in the signal chain at this point because I like the reverb in the SMS better.
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
User avatar
hippieguy1954
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1350
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:29 pm
Location: Upstate, NY

Re: Show us your Garcia inspired guitars

Postby tcsned » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:21 pm

I've posted this on my "rebuild" thread but thought I would add it to the mix here. This was my first do it yourself project. A cocobolo/quilted maple Tele made by Gregg Rogers about 15 years ago or so. It originally had a solid indian rosewood neck that was cool but I don't think really tonally fit on the guitar. I contact milobender about giving it a facelift. I got a new neck (flame maple/ebony w/purpleheart stripes) from Doug Darling at Soulmate guitars. Inlay work by Cliff Suttle (Shark Custom Inlay) and set it off to Brian. He did an amazing job with this. Added a Super 2 in the middle position, a OBEL with a Waldo Buffer/Alembic Blaster (with a cool switch to bounce back and forth with a nice blue/green LED to let me know which one I was on, an awesome brass pickup ring and back plate, and a total refinish. Man, this thing is sweet and hard to put down. I highly recommend Brian's work to anyone out there. He does fantastic brass work, impeccable refinishing, the guitar was set up perfectly. If anyone wants more details on his work, PM me anytime.
Image
Image
Image

Here's a little video, either my mic was having issues or my camera's setting we screwed up because it is clipping.
User avatar
tcsned
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:50 pm
Location: Blacksburg, VA

Re: Show us your Garcia inspired guitars

Postby BobbyMcGee » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:17 am

Image

Here is mine...had a 70's MIM Strat, changed the PUPS to 57/62's, added the blaster, gold bridge, fender brass nut, Fender gold pickguard, Newark Electronics top hat knobs and the stickers. sounds great. One day when I feel get around to it I will change the neck to a warmouth since its the only place to get a three bolt with a smaller headstock (as far as I know).
BobbyMcGee
Vince
Vince
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:25 pm

Re: Show us your Garcia inspired guitars

Postby PaulJay » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:44 pm

Hey Bobby, How do you like the 57/62's. Do you come close to the '72 Alligator sound? ,Paul
User avatar
PaulJay
Billy
Billy
 
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:40 pm

Re: Show us your Garcia inspired guitars

Postby Ross66 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:26 pm

Image

SFG Wolf
User avatar
Ross66
Rosebud
Rosebud
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:35 pm

Re: Show us your Garcia inspired guitars

Postby BobbyMcGee » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:22 am

PaulJay-

The 57/62's sound pretty close to me. I use it with both a 72 Bandmaster Reverb head with a 1X12 JBL e-120 and a small fender g-dec 15 for practice and I have to say they both sound good and pretty close. It nails that sparkly sound with out it being too ice pickish. Has a little of that banjo in overdrive sound to it (if that makes sense) . Since we all think Alligator had stock Fender PUPS?? it does the job of sounding like a 57-62 Strat to my ears and the blaster gives it that extra push that gets it from a strat to Alligator. I also think the Rosewood helps tame it a little. Now only if I could play like Jerry :lol:
BobbyMcGee
Vince
Vince
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:25 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest