more on Earth Drive

Chat about Equipment Info

more on Earth Drive

Postby bzbz » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:15 pm

I had been using it at about unity gain, just to add a touch of oomph, reduce any sterility from playing at (relatively) low volume - tonight I tried using mostly middle dual sound pickup - in hum bucker mode(!), and used the earth Drive for heavy gain at times - it is tremendous! - so full of harmonic richness - I have a tube Screamer, but think I'll rely on the Earth Drive - and, having the earth Drive before the Tube Screamer, when I used both, it was a hell of a sound!
bzbz
Rosebud
Rosebud

Re: more on Earth Drive

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:15 am

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby Jon S. » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:59 am

I'm exploring some changes in my rig. One will be to try using a different pedal "always on" to "warm up/excite" my basic tone, similar to how some people report using the Earthdrive which I've never tried.

My question is, here's a description of my pedal from gbase - does this sound similar to the Earthdrive? It's a Reverend Drivetrain II. This pedal was discontinued awhile ago but has been reissued by Visual Sound in a different format (I don't know whether the reissue's circuits are identical to the original).

[The] early model Reverend Drivetrain II Overdrive Pedal is a killer Tube Screamer-esque pedal, but with some nice refinements. First off, while the Drivetrain uses the same JRC4558 IC chip as found in the original vintage TS808s, it is voiced a little different. It's a bit smoother, more transparent in the mid range, and has more to offer in the clean boost realm. Not to mention, it has separate Treble and Bass controls instead of a single Tone. Get everything from traditional 808 sounds, or dial in your own tones with no bass loss or permanent mid hump. Nice!

"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby Smolder » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:18 am

I've never seen or heard that one, but find the klone (from mojo pedals) works really well and very similar to using an earth drive as an always on boost pedal. BTW - I've also used an orange squeezer compression pedal - barely on - in that role as well. Just a tad of compression and a bit of boost without coloring the tone seems to be the key for me.
Smolder

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:09 am

I was getting some nice interesting results from my Aion clone last night with the Tiger. Better with the buffered Tiger than any of the other guitars I tried. ??

Smolder- can you use compression without "coloring the tone"?
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby Jon S. » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:23 am

TI4-1009 wrote:can you use compression without "coloring the tone"?

I think so. It would be like going over a ball point pen line with a thin magic marker of the exact same color. :oops:
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby mgbills » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:45 am

I'm sorry for some of you this is a repeat.

bzbz...I think the ED phenom you describe was a real education to me in dirt pedals. I too starting using the ED to add a bit of grit. In my case I have a Super 2 in the middle position, and when it's switched to HB with the ED on it's really freakin' cool. I've been woodshedding a lot, so my rack rig has been dormant for a bit. The band I occasionally sit with plays a spectrum of rock, but are all Dead fans. They really don't hit the nuances of Dead purists, but play what I would describe as "Rock renditions with heart-felt attempts" of GD tunes.

For me, I love going from that cripy Jerry clean to an almost Tweed Deluxe character with a flip of the coil split. I don't have a Script Dist +. I may try to get one at some point, but mostly I think of adding a 2nd ED.
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby Smolder » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:07 pm

TI4-1009 wrote:Smolder- can you use compression without "coloring the tone"?

Is that tone with a capital T or lower case ; )

I do thinking you can. The orange squeezer is a pretty subtle compressor... so that may be part of it. I think of compression as sort of a lower sampling and slight squashing of the range... and added sustain. It definitely effects attack (country players...).

I sort my boosts and over drives into two categories - very little compression, and a lot. I typically have a boost and an overdrive for each category on my board.
Smolder

Postby bzbz » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:56 pm

hey mgbills! Yes, that is exactly what I have found - if using the humbucker (I have dual sounds), it becomes a mild dirt - unsplitting the coil makes a significant difference in the way the Earth Drive is pushed!
bzbz
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:44 am

Jon S. wrote:I'm exploring some changes in my rig. One will be to try using a different pedal "always on" to "warm up/excite" my basic tone, similar to how some people report using the Earthdrive which I've never tried.

My question is, here's a description of my pedal from gbase - does this sound similar to the Earthdrive? It's a Reverend Drivetrain II. This pedal was discontinued awhile ago but has been reissued by Visual Sound in a different format (I don't know whether the reissue's circuits are identical to the original).

[The] early model Reverend Drivetrain II Overdrive Pedal is a killer Tube Screamer-esque pedal, but with some nice refinements. First off, while the Drivetrain uses the same JRC4558 IC chip as found in the original vintage TS808s, it is voiced a little different. It's a bit smoother, more transparent in the mid range, and has more to offer in the clean boost realm. Not to mention, it has separate Treble and Bass controls instead of a single Tone. Get everything from traditional 808 sounds, or dial in your own tones with no bass loss or permanent mid hump. Nice!

Jon S., You owe it to yourself to try an Earth Drive. Definitely one of the best (if not the best) over drive pedal I've used. If you don't like it, I'll buy it from you at no loss to you. I wouldn't mind having two. Just something to consider, although I think you would love it and want to keep it.
hippieguy1954

Postby Jon S. » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:52 am

Actually, I think I owe it to myself more to experiment with what I already own before buying yet another overdrive pedal but thanks (as always) for your input and kind offer.

:cool:

P.S. And as wonderful as the Earth Drive is (which I don't for a moment dispute), if indeed you've not yourself ever tried a Drivetrain II, could it not be equally true that you owe it to yourself to obtain one of those?

;)
Jon S.

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:53 am

Yes, absolutely and a OCD!
hippieguy1954

Postby Staemius » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:15 pm

I'd forgotten about that Reverend pedal Jon - lots of folks really like that one. I recently picked up a Joyo American pedal (fender deluxe simulator with drive) and plan to use it on the chain for a little grit (we'll see). Also Jon, I recall you being an m13 guy and have enjoyed seeing your settings here - I've loved my m9 but the foot switches on mine have totally crapped out after about 2 years of use - bummer. I'm switching out my chain and picked up a Zoom G3 (Dozin put in a plug for it awhile back) that is on it's way.
Staemius
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby bcresci » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:55 pm

Staemius wrote: I've loved my m9 but the foot switches on mine have totally crapped out after about 2 years of use - bummer.

You may want to check with a line 6 authorized dealer if you haven't already. They might fix those for free - those switches shouldn't wear out so fast. I think my dealer may have even told me the switches have a lifetime warranty - but mabye I'm off there.
bcresci
Mickey
Mickey

Postby Staemius » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:35 pm

^Thanks - I'll look into it!
Staemius
Terrapin
Terrapin

Next

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion