Who has the oldest concert t-shirt?

Who has the oldest concert t-shirt?

Postby grateful4booze » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:49 am

I was washing an old ratty ass Dead t-shirt last night I got in Dallas 1988. I got to wondering who had the oldest concert t-shirt here. It has to be a tour shirt you bought there, no ebay or garage sales. Also list the coolest Dead tour shirt you have regardless of age. I'll go first:

Oldest - Rush Moving Pictures tour 1981

Oldest Dead - 1985 tour. Has picture of skeleton in pool from the GD Movie on front and Grateful Dead Tour 1985 on back.

Coolest - When Harry Met Jerry. From Chicago and has picture of Harry Caray and Jerry on front, has Don?t Tell Me This Town Ain?t Got No Heart on the back.
"Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to."
- Pete Green
grateful4booze
Mickey
Mickey

Postby ebick » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:11 am

June 9, 1978, Harry Chapin, is my oldest.

Honorable mentions to:

12/15/1979, The Who
05/02/1980, Frank Zappa
Ed

First Show - 5/5/77
Last Show - 3/28/93
ebick

Postby gr8fulbluz » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:54 am

They don't fit me anymore but I got a
1982 The Who

I got a 1985 Dead shirt I got at Hershey, somewhere? never ever fit me again :oops:

I had a 80-81 Jackson Browne, long since lost.
:twisted:
gr8fulbluz

Postby myoung6923 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:30 am

God, I have long since worn out all of my old shirts - I wore them till they fell off of me. But, I think my first was Rush Permanent waves tour.

Ha! Hershey 85! I making & selling tye dyes back then to support my tour habit and Hershey was one of my best shows as far as shirt sales went - one of the best shows I remember too! It was pissing down rain all day so nobody was out selling stuff in the parking lot and everyone was just hanging out in their cars - I went car to car with a backpack full of shirts - I got soaked but I sold a ton of shirts! Then the boys opened up with Cold Rain & snow - It continued to piss down during the whole show. I could see the wind blowing the rain on stage and everything was wet - I watched water dripping down from the staging roof onto Mickey's cymbal, I also saw water dripping from jerry's guitar - but they played a great show anyhow!
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

http://www.fennario.us
http://www.youtube.com/fennarioband
http://www.facebook.com/fennarioband
myoung6923

Postby HOWEYMAN » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:06 am

I have a real cool 96' Looks like rain shirt with the turltles and bears fishin and sitting around the campfire on the back.
HOWEYMAN
HOWEYMAN
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby mutant_dan » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:36 am

1978 Red Rocks red wife beater style dead shirt.

Dead staff shirt from 1981 Jamaica World Music Fest.

They are so thread worn that I can't even consider wearing them.
mutant_dan
Bobby
Bobby

Postby groovemongrel » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:57 am

Man I hate that I wore all my old concert shirt so much they fell apart. I've seen sites that sell reprints.
groovemongrel
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby Django » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:31 am

The few shirts I had I bought in the lots and I think they were all handmade. A little off the subject but I walked around trading some prints of John Lennon I drew at a few shows. I just gave one to Doug Stein who did all the great pen and ink and dry board of the Dead, and I traded one for 3 beer bongs, as well as sold some. It was a good time.
Somewhere I have an official tour shirt with dates from Summer '85.
Django
Bobby
Bobby

Postby FretfulDave » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:18 pm

As far as tee shirts, I only owned one. Skull and Roses. From '77 I think but it has died. Still have the Rubiyat logo part somewhere, we cut that out. That doesn't count... :-?

myoung:

"Ha! Hershey 85! ... It was pissing down rain all day"

Sure as hell was. Wet. Makes things soggy, hard to light :-). The amusement park was closed that day for all the rain. Great show.

Nice to know another forum member was at a same show.

Peace,

Dave
The river keeps a talkin'
FretfulDave
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby mttourpro » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:09 pm

Speaking of Hershey. My buddy bought a dye in the lot and wore it over a white T-shirt he already had on...after the show, he took off his new dye and found out he had a free, albeit lighter hued one now underneath!

I still think the stage looked like a spaceship landing when they played Terrapin there! Perhaps the Goony-birds had something to do with that.....
http://www.thecausejams.com

let your life proceed by its own design....
mttourpro

Postby hotasaPistol » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:12 pm

Hey Now,
I have a Who shirt from '76 when I saw the boys open for the Who...........speaking of the Who ...saw them 2 weeks ago and was blown away .....
if you get a chance don't miss it. Pete still has it...
I also have a Rolling Thunder shirt I bought at Winterland in 74 or 75.....too bad they shrunk and I expanded....I figure my daughters will have the coolest shirts around when they can fit into them...I still have at least 30 that I can wear and maybe more.....
Peace,\Pistol
hotasaPistol
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby ebick » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:39 pm

I'm just having a real hard time calling it the Who w/o Entwhistle.
Ed

First Show - 5/5/77
Last Show - 3/28/93
ebick

Postby hotasaPistol » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:26 pm

I couldn't agree more.......I would say the same with out Keith Moon.......I went in expecting to be disappointed because of no Entwhistle....to me probably the best bass player ever....sorry don't want to start another best of thread...
We left totally stoked........no bull....Pete was tearing it up and Daltry was Daltry....some of the vocals were ok........missing the primal screams but over all the best show I have seen since a good dead show at Shoreline....
later,
Pistol
hotasaPistol
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby mutant_dan » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:02 am

mttourpro wrote:I still think the stage looked like a spaceship landing when they played Terrapin there! Perhaps the Goony-birds had something to do with that.....

Mmmm Goony-Birds, and Globes and Album Covers and Pink Flamingos...

Hershey was a great time. As a joke before the show we put a sign on our tour wagon that read "Shower Needed". We actually had a couple local hotties drop by after the show and offer up a place to shower and crash. The reality of the situation was that after that downpour I don't think anyone needed a shower. I spent most of the day inside of a trash bag.
mutant_dan
Bobby
Bobby

Postby amyjared » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:12 am

I just gave one to Doug Stein who did all the great pen and ink and dry board of the Dead,

I still have some of Doug's artwork. Always liked his drawings, used to chat him up at shows. Completely forgot about him. How's he doing/what's he up to??

I have a few shirts that have lasted:

Springsteen '79 New Year's show with a guitar that has an end like a bottle of champagne.

Sunshine Daydream Dye from Greensboro '81

Also have a box full of guatamalan pants, huepios (sp?) and other stuff that I outgrew but couldn't part with.

And one last thing about Hershey...I wanted some beer before the show but PA has some crazy-ass laws and I could only buy a case at a distributor. It was my last bit of cash and I spent it. As I pulled in the lot, and opened the trunk, people started offering me $2 for a beer (I did drink good beer) and before I knew it I had made back all my money plus and still had about 8 beers left for me to drink. It was like a lightbulb went off over my head and I was selling good beer and my tie-dying days were over. Ah, memories...Music Never Stopped, Morning Dew, pouring rain, what a great show...
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Next

Return to Grateful Dead General Discussion