John Mayer

Re: John Mayer

Postby James-T » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:18 pm

Its all good! I was thinking the same, never expected more than one or two posts on this thread based on some guitar playing I thought was really sweet, but it shows the power of art. You know its art when people debate it, so I'm going to suggest John Mayer is an artist. Lets see if that gets some feathers ruffled! :shock:

Peace,

James
James-T
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Mr.Burns » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:09 am

James-T wrote:Its all good! I was thinking the same, never expected more than one or two posts on this thread based on some guitar playing I thought was really sweet, but it shows the power of art. You know its art when people debate it, so I'm going to suggest John Mayer is an artist. Lets see if that gets some feathers ruffled! :shock:

Peace,

James

I'm not sure that debate automatically qualifies a thing as art. If that were true, the debate itself would be pointless, wouldn't it? I think what you might be alluding to is the fact that art cannot be defined. Is he a recording artist? Certainly. But that term gets tossed around pretty carelessly these days. Anyone that has recorded information for entertainment purposes (musical or otherwise) for sale can call themselves a recording artist. Stand up comedians have comedy albums, does the fact that it's recorded make them artists? Or that it's for sale? Or have we reached the point where society considers all music art? Furthermore, what about the performing musician? Is he/she an artist simply by virtue of performing? These questions may be beyond the scope of this particular debate, but I can say that there have been times, when performing, especially on an off night, when I felt like what I was playing definitely wasn't art. My point is, it seems to me that music as art only occurs in the prescence of the three ancient Muses, Melete (Practice), Mneme (Memory), and Aoide (Song). Mousike is what the Greeks called the grand art practiced by the Muses, we just call it music. A-muse-ment is the joy you feel from listening to it.
Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil

Postby Poor Peter » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:29 am

I can't believe this thread is still going. NEXT.....
Poor Peter
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby James-T » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:14 pm

I caught a snipet of a radio interview the other day on CBC (Canadian Broadcast Corp) with a founding guy from Stealy Dan. He was talking about the early days when he worked at a music company as a staff writer. He said that he was writing songs for "recording artists". It really made me think that....well...... if they are "recording artists" why do they need someone to write for them. :?:

Needless to say the guy from Stealy Dan admitted him and his buddy were terrible at the job and never actually wrote a song that was used. :-) I only caught the tail end of the interview. It was an interesting one.

What is craft and what is art? I like the term arts and crafts. In my narrow view of the world they are interchangeable. If Mayer is making money from his craft, I'm going to give it to him that he's a pretty successful performing artist. And I like his interpretations of the Dead and applaud him for bringing the music to his audiences.

I do recall Jerry Garcia being on the cover of People magazine, or at least having a big spread in the late 80's. It was a great shot as I recall. While not as widely spoken about in the tabloids he was far from a perfect person.

Now I bet that will really ruffle some feathers.

Peace,

James
James-T
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby aiq » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:42 am

A performer's music either vibrates with your sub atomic particles or it doesn't.

I don't know why.

Do you?
aiq
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Octal » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:59 am

aiq wrote:A performer's music either vibrates with your sub atomic particles or it doesn't.

I don't know why.

Do you?

I think it has to do with the repression of infantile sexuality.

If not that I'm not sure what Mayer's doing.
Octal
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby TI4-1009 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:35 pm

Now that he's dating Katy Perry my opinion of him has increased exponentially.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby James-T » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:46 pm

Ditto
James-T
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Jon S. » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:27 pm

She's both beautiful and talented.

"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby hippieguy1954 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:02 am

Too much make up for me.
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby Jon S. » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:07 am

And she has knobby knees. [/sarcasm]
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby aiq » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:22 am

Remember when Madonna got the cowboy hat and acoustic guitar and went on Letterman to keep it real? 8)

So how do we get the Katie Perry tone?
aiq
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Jon S. » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:17 am

aiq wrote:So how do we get the Katie Perry tone?

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... ight=perry

:lol:
Jon S.

Postby mgbills » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:55 am

So...I'll be 50 in April. And in the last 6 months people have been showing up as famous who I don't even know. Never heard of them! Like on People covers in the grocery store line. And they're platinum artists, and getting Oscars ...

I've always been in a different Tribe than the mainstream, but this is really starting to bug me. I used to be at least passivley aware of what was going down in the world.

Who in the Hell is Katy Perry? Why should I care? And what does she have to do with Jerry and the Boys?
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby jester536 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:24 pm

I used to be at least passivley aware of what was going down in the world.

I know exactly what you mean...just turned 50 last May...I see people show up on The Daily Show and I don't have a clue who they are...but I'm also a high school teacher so I'm at least aware of some names out there. Rest assured that this is one case where ignorance is truly bliss. There is likely no need for a 50 year old man to know anything about Katie Perry. You're a lucky man.
If the thunder don't getcha then the lightning will!
http://www.reverbnation.com/unchartedwaters
jester536
Bear
Bear

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone