Tru-Tron 3x Bypass Mode?

Tru-Tron 3x Bypass Mode?

Postby Banana Boat » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:01 pm

Cant say I've seen anything mentioned on this within all the recent posts....but
Does the bypass mode on the tru-tron jive with the original rc4558 path that provided that critical mild boost/od ingredient?

Thanks,
BB
Banana Boat
TC
TC

Re: Tru-Tron 3x Bypass Mode?

Postby TI4-1009 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:48 pm

Don't quote me, but I think not? I think it's true bypass. If you want that boost I think you get something similar by having the pedal on, switched to "pre", turn the "Mu" all the way down, and adjust "pre" to taste.

Personally, I don't like the gain-on-all-the-time of the Mu-Tron III. If I want gain I have better ways of getting it.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby Banana Boat » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:12 pm

Thanks TI4,
Hmmm...I am pleased also...well mostly with my OD/gain avenues (Earth Drive, TS9 Silver Mod). Especially as of recent backing off the guitar volume and running the amps hot!!! :cool:
So...I am curious on something that still eludes me?
Listen to the outro end jam on FOTM from the spring tour '77 mosque show right after the octave divider is turned off and before the standard outro riff... the run begins like so...

-------------------------------
--------6-7-8-9--------------
-7-8-9-----------------------

I get chills, always, during the several bars following this passage.....

https://archive.org/details/gd1977-05-2 ... 381.flac16

Starts around 10:28 on this version.

Is this pure overdriven preamp & amp or the bypass stage of the mutron?

:?

BB
Banana Boat
TC
TC

Postby waldo041 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:23 pm

This first incarnation of the OBEL did not have a bypass switch so ALL the effects in the chain and their buffered bypasses are in the chain. Meaning, yes the Mutron III's preamp is active with all the effects off, but don't think he is pushing the gain. Could be that he just has all the pickups on, they are toggles instead of a blade, and just driving the twin. This is only a guess.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Smolder » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:50 pm

waldo041 wrote:This first incarnation of the OBEL did not have a bypass switch so ALL the effects in the chain and their buffered bypasses are in the chain. Meaning, yes the Mutron III's preamp is active with all the effects off, but don't think he is pushing the gain. Could be that he just has all the pickups on, they are toggles instead of a blade, and just driving the twin. This is only a guess.

~waldo

That, my friend, would be a trick to emulate in my world ; )
Smolder

Postby Banana Boat » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:28 pm

Damn... knew I should have scored that Travis Bean that was just up for auction for a proper test.

:?
Banana Boat
TC
TC

Return to Jerry Tone