Wiring/Schematic help (paging waldo!)

Wiring/Schematic help (paging waldo!)

Postby proshy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:49 pm

Hello!

I need some help with a wiring job i'm doing for my wolf replica i built:

I got a single coil (non conductive wire) and two burst buckers (braided wire) that my supervisor at work gave me. I'm looking for a schematic layout that will feature 1 volume, two tone controls, a five way selector switch and a 3 way mini toggle (6 prong) in the formation of single/humbucker/humbucker (wolf).

The schematic layout in question would have a '7 way strat' configuration: neck, neck-middle, middle, middle-bridge, bridge, (toggle engaged) all three pickups on, and bridge-neck.

Also, the burst buckers need some wire lengthening.. is it possible to lengthen braided wire with non conductive wire, or does braided wire need braided wire to lengthen?

Also Also, do humbuckers need a 500k tone lug/different capacitors to be able to function? I'm currently using an old strat wiring harness fyi

I know it's a lot to chew on but any help would be an amazing (waldo aka schematic master :hail: ), as i am still attempting to do research without any luck :?

Thanks in advance,

proshy
proshy
TC
TC

Re: Wiring/Schematic help (paging waldo!)

Postby gpilcher2001 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:48 am

Go to seymour duncans website. He has wiring schematics for just about any non obel pick up config there is. Greg...
good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor.....
gpilcher2001
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby TI4-1009 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:53 am

proshy wrote:Hello!

I got a single coil (non conductive wire) and two burst buckers (braided wire) that my supervisor at work gave me. I'm looking for a schematic layout that will feature 1 volume, two tone controls, a five way selector switch and a 3 way mini toggle (6 prong) in the formation of single/humbucker/humbucker (wolf).

The schematic layout in question would have a '7 way strat' configuration: neck, neck-middle, middle, middle-bridge, bridge, (toggle engaged) all three pickups on, and bridge-neck.

A regular 5-way only goes "5 ways". Not sure about 7 ways, but you can get 6 from either a rotary switch or the "Free Way" switch that Stewmac sells. I just got the Freeway to get me to the six options but I haven't wired it up yet. Not sure what you mean by "toggle engaged"- do you mean you want the toggle to do some of the pickup selector duties? That might be asking too much.

Also, the burst buckers need some wire lengthening.. is it possible to lengthen braided wire with non conductive wire, or does braided wire need braided wire to lengthen?

You could lengthen with non-conductive, but you lose the shielding effect for that length. Plus if the conductive layer is used for the ground you would need to complete that part of the circuit with wire.

Also Also, do humbuckers need a 500k tone lug/different capacitors to be able to function? I'm currently using an old strat wiring harness fyi

Humbuckers usually have 500k pots, single-coils 250ks. Not mandatory, but if you go much different you can get too dark or too bright. Tone cap values are important, but type or "quality" are usually over-rated (at least for this application).

I know it's a lot to chew on but any help would be an amazing (waldo aka schematic master :hail: ), as i am still attempting to do research without any luck :?

I always start with Waldo's excellent schematics. That and the guys on this board are usually all you need.

THat's my $.02, others that know more will be jumping in shortly. Good luck!

EDIT: Oops- just re-read and noticed that you were paging Waldo. He'll be along with better suggestions I'm sure.

Thanks in advance,

proshy
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby waldo041 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:31 pm

TI4-1009 wrote:
proshy wrote:Hello!

A regular 5-way only goes "5 ways". Not sure about 7 ways, but you can get 6 from either a rotary switch or the "Free Way" switch that Stewmac sells. I just got the Freeway to get me to the six options but I haven't wired it up yet. Not sure what you mean by "toggle engaged"- do you mean you want the toggle to do some of the pickup selector duties? That might be asking too much.

You could lengthen with non-conductive, but you lose the shielding effect for that length. Plus if the conductive layer is used for the ground you would need to complete that part of the circuit with wire.

Humbuckers usually have 500k pots, single-coils 250ks. Not mandatory, but if you go much different you can get too dark or too bright. Tone cap values are important, but type or "quality" are usually over-rated (at least for this application).

I always start with Waldo's excellent schematics. That and the guys on this board are usually all you need.

THat's my $.02, others that know more will be jumping in shortly. Good luck!

EDIT: Oops- just re-read and noticed that you were paging Waldo. He'll be along with better suggestions I'm sure.

Thanks in advance,

proshy

+1

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby proshy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:13 pm

A little update,

Thanks a bunch for the responses, especially TI4. Helped me reset and research from an another standpoint :-) .

And gpilcher, i looked through most of the seymour duncan schematics and didn't find any s-h-h schematics. Looks like waldo's got the best schematic for a s-h-h on the web (an awesome resource)!

Check this video out for a interesting and different way to wire up that old axe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BviWAfQxFy4

I just inserted two humbuckers in the middle and bridge positions

Also, found a great little tutorial on wiring modification for a humbucker:

http://www.diyguitarmods.com/rewire-hum ... ctions.php

So i did this, and came up with some cool results! I'll get a video demo up soon..

One furthur question :lol: i'd be curious to know how/what would be required to wire in one of waldo's buffers as seen in the aforementioned youtube video schematic.

Also also, i'm going to try and draw up a schematic of what i got so all y'all can check it out :-)

Thanks again!

proshy
proshy
TC
TC

Postby waldo041 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:35 am

proshy wrote:One furthur question :lol: i'd be curious to know how/what would be required to wire in one of waldo's buffers as seen in the aforementioned youtube video schematic.

First you will need a 25k Log potentiometer to replace the 250k volume pot shown in his layout. Second you will need a TRS Output jack for switching the preamp on and off when a plug is inserted.

If you look at how added switch and the 5 way are tied together to lug 3 of his volume control, these two wires will get wired together to the input of the preamp(blue wire on the TPC1) and the preamps output(yellow wire on the TPC1) will go to lug 3 on the volume pot where those wires were. The preamps black ground wire will tie into the grounding scheme he has. The battery snaps red positive wire will tie to the preamps red wire. Finally, the battery snaps black ground wire will tie to the ring lug of the new TRS 1/4" output jack. The only difference here from my layouts is the wire added to the 5 way at the input of the preamp from the new switch.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Return to Guitar Building and Mods