Vintage Alembic instrument #73 45 prototype guitar

Chat about Equipment Info

Vintage Alembic instrument #73 45 prototype guitar

Postby phpbb » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:59 pm

phpbb

Re: Vintage Alembic instrument #73 45 prototype guitar

Postby Jon S. » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:57 am

It's very rare to see a 1-day auction. My gut is when someone does this, he doesn't really plan to sell the item on eBay. He plans to get it seen, including after the auction in derivative threads like this one, to invite private offers.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby James-T » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:59 pm

Boy of boy, makes me appretiate my recent purchase, an Aria Pro II Alembic knock off. The folks over on the Alembic forum admit even the real Alembic's don't usually fetch as much as one would expect. They tell me my knock off is based on the series one electronics. Even the knob for the pick-up selector looks like this one.

Mine's now with my luthier/ tech guy. Getting rid of the dummy coil and dropping in a higher output single coil to make it a bit more versitile.

I already posted the demo, but for any curious folks here it is again. Great guitar, fraction of the price of an Alembic and being an circa 1979 model its oozing with vintage vibe! :smile:

Peace,

James

James-T
Phil
Phil

Postby waldo041 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:38 pm

Does the series 1 electronics have Low Impedance pickups that utilize a preamp?

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby James-T » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:58 pm

Hey Mike,

No I believe they don't - at least that's what I understood from my conversation on the Alembic forum. I can speak for the Aria copies. The RS 750 knock off which I have doesn't have one but the 850 does. :smile:

We measured the pick-ups at my tech's shop. The neck was really low output at just over 4K. I was really surprised at the really low output which I'm told explains the hi-fi sound super clear sound. The knock off electronics in my Aria simply do not want to distort. the OD sound on my clip is a heavy Gilmore patch along with an additional Boss OD1. Just the Gilmore patch alone sounds totally different on all my other guitars. the middle pick-up will have its own volume control. Good news Mike is there is room behind the cover to route for your preamp and battery! I was worried that that would not be an option.

I'm taking this at one step at a time. I could alternatively fit the dummy coil in there instead.

Peace,

James :-)
James-T
Phil
Phil

Postby zambiland » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:53 pm

waldo041 wrote:Does the series 1 electronics have Low Impedance pickups that utilize a preamp?

~waldo

It depends. Most of the Series instruments have what you might call medium impedance pickups. The pickups in my Starfire, which are very early, are indeed low impedance and are about 800 ohms. My guess is that around 1975 or so they stopped making pickups with such low impedance.

All Series instruments have preamps.
zambiland

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion