Line 6 M5 Mu-Tron Setting… what do you think?

Line 6 M5 Mu-Tron Setting… what do you think?

Postby JamGuy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:45 am

Hey all, I was just curious if anyone is using a Line 6 M5 modeler for the Mu-Tron effect… I've been messing around with it and am relatively happy with the tone. I use the M5 on my "little rig" and have an Emma Discumbobulator on my "big rig". I was just curious what you all thought of these pedals if you've tried them, and how maybe they compare to others you've tried. I would consider the M5 to be a budget alternative to more expensive pedals but for what they've jammed into it I think it's a freakin' amazing deal… I'd even consider buying a second one. I know there's a lot of envelope filter talk on here but I hadn't seen anything about the Line 6… In any event, cheers, JG
JamGuy
Rosebud
Rosebud

Re: Line 6 M5 Mu-Tron Setting… what do you think?

Postby rugger » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:55 am

Cue Silberman in 5, 4, 3, 2...

john in san diego
rugger
Phil
Phil

Postby HeadSpace » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:06 am

The Line 6 "Otto" filter is totally acceptable as a backup, IMO. Not sure if it's the same software model as that in the M5, etc., but it's not half bad. I'd imagine the M5 is at least as good.
HeadSpace
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby flyingheelhook » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:17 am

I've got the M13 and dig it, but I'll be honest that I don't feel I have it dialed in properly yet. I'm mainly playing solo acoustic right now, so I don't use that effect and on the rare occasions for electric gigs (like last night's once-a-month Grateful Jams in Washington DC), I often find my levels and settings for most of the effects aren't just quite right. Yet. I have the expression pedal but in that setting, when there can be 5-6 guitars at once, ground real estate is hard to come by so I skip it. I use the Mu-Tron up and down separately on different occasions, usually for textural fills as I am more rhythm in that setting.
flyingheelhook
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Jon S. » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:43 am

rugger wrote:Cue Silberman in 5, 4, 3, 2...

john in san diego

I live to serve. :oops:

The key to being pleased by the Tron Up model is to precede it with a compressor in order to "level" the incoming signal and avoid unpleasant, transient, brittle "peaks." Try these settings for starters and season to taste. (Can you use more than 1 effect at a time in the M5? If not, precede it with a pedal compressor. And if you can't see the full shots in your browser, right click on the pics and open them in their own tabs.)

1st:

2nd:

"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby Jon S. » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:46 am

flyingheelhook wrote:(like last night's once-a-month Grateful Jams in Washington DC)

Hey, can I give you call to ask you about how this works? I've been meaning to hit one at some point, the problem is I work downtown, getting home for my gear and back into DC again for a jam would be a pain in the ass though I'd do it if it's very cool! Also, I'm very happy with my M13. I'd be pleased to share all of my setting with you. The best way to do this would be to get you over to my place some weekend afternoon for one of my own Dead jams.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby flyingheelhook » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:38 pm

Definitely - I have been meaning to give you a shout just way busy. I'll pm you my number.
flyingheelhook
Terrapin
Terrapin

Return to Jerry Tone