Jerry Tone: is it the guitar or amp that matters?

Re: Jerry Tone: is it the guitar or amp that matters?

Postby PaulJay » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:52 am

Oh no, I just realized that if Jerry sounds like Jerry no matter what gear he was using, this discussion could be leading to the demise of this beloved message board. then what.
PaulJay
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:11 pm

best thing I ever did for my tone was to start using diff speakers -Webers / JBL / the Commonwealths I love ....
ironic that some would take the few times Jerry was recorded on borrowed gear and hold that to some kind of light while in reality Jerry and Co. spent countless $ on the best gear and produced the sounds as heard and worshiped on our fav GD bootlegs ....
:D
:-)
Tennessee Jedi

Postby mgbills » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:59 pm

Feel free to skip this..
We actually all know the answer to this question, and yet it has become the essential dichotomy of our digital existence here at RuKind. The answer is, and always will be both...and neither. Strummin hit on this in the John Mayer thread.

The ontological arguement would be something like this...Jerry (that was) possessed the ultimate in tone & improvisational talent! We cannot conceive of any one of us, or any other musician approaching his ability at his finest. Therefore, Jerry effectively was Divine.

Bear with me. It is not my intent to offend the religious amongst us.

We can emulate in limitless forms the manifestions of his physical equipment; the mechanical construct of his tone. We can practice the 7 forms of finger initiated vibrato, modes, passing tones, pentatonics, runs, slides, etc. We can spend 3 years playing banjo, and 5 playing pedal steel. We can smoke Brown Persion & Lucky's. We can let it all hang out, and practice improvisation until is runs vitally throughout all fibers of our existance. (The personal contribution to his tone) We can watch the crowd dance, and people sing, and come very close.
..but...as Strummin was saying ...we'll walk our solo's into dead ends. Our hands will clam, and we'll hit some dingers. We'll listen to the recordings after the fact, and feel the drift. We'll always feel that we left a motif unexplored. And that Jerry wouldn've done it better.

...judgement will always keep us a ripple away. Let's face it...many of us had our ultimate GD experiences as visitors. We were in the crowd. The band raised the crowd. The crowd raised the band, and we had the time of our lives. Jerry took us places with his vision of dissonance and resolution. And in that experience many of us felt/heard something really special.

So ...Is it the guitar or the amp or the player? It's all, and it's none. Jerry was Jerry, and he was the best Jerry we'll ever hear. His tonality and his notes fills our minds & hearts. His vocals and his improvisations were legendary. And in our memories they were nothing but great. But they were his...then.

Now ...let's get back to the freakin' quest! I was listening to some shit I recorded last night and I'm not happy about it! How come I can't get Matt Moriarity to put me on the list? Must be some pickup or capacitor I need to change, because I suck at this.
:-)
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby TI4-1009 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:00 pm

+1

"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby James-T » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:44 pm

+2

This is the type of light hearted conversation I was hoping for. Very witty and well put. Inspiration = passion = motivation = practice = results.

Peace,

James
James-T
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Mr.Burns » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:16 am

mgbills wrote:The ontological arguement would be something like this...Jerry (that was) possessed the ultimate in tone & improvisational talent! We cannot conceive of any one of us, or any other musician approaching his ability at his finest. Therefore, Jerry effectively was Divine.

Even if that were true, he was still human, just like you and me. We all have what seems like a physical advantage over a 9 fingered guitar player, yet this doesn't seem to hold true. So his ability must have been...given to him by God? Despite my overwhelming desire to agree with this, it cannot be proven, and the notion must be set aside. What makes more sense to me is that what allowed Jerry to possess an almost supernatural ability was his incredible humanity. He was more human than most, not in all arenas, but certainly in this one. I've always felt this was why he could play something that feels like the listener conjured it, like he could get right inside your head space and play what you were thinking just before you thought it, so it feels like he played something primal and instinctual that we immediately recognize as familiar, even if we had never heard it before.

Just my opinion.
Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil

Postby mgbills » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:52 pm

Exactly Mr Burns ...or as near as one can perceive. There is no perfect "Truth" in this type of experience. We only have what our hearts tell us. Divinity is unknowable, but for those who are granted the eyes to see and the ears to hear... We know this phenom is not Nothing.
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby aiq » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:07 am

Not magic, work.

Dickey Betts says he never saw Jerry without a guitar in his hands.
aiq
Terrapin
Terrapin

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone