TruTron3x

Re: TruTron3x

Postby Poor Peter » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:04 pm

Howdy All, Now that several of you have had this pedal for a while, what settings are you using. How are you dialing in that sweet spot.
Poor Peter
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby seniorpesca » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:33 pm

Mix setting is so sick and real easy to dial into a sweet Weir env filter sound...im not quiet there yet with the jerry sound..almost though. the tru-tron has insane tracking but from what i notice so far lacks this sweet low end that i can only get tfrom the musictronics...still need to mess with it another 20 hours though and actually dial it into my performance rig..my twin reverb needs to see the doctor and latley i been plugging my cab into drummers twin head. :D :D
seniorpesca
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby barefootdave » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:32 am

Got home Friday night to find #23 sitting next to the front door! Haven't had a chance to A/B it with my original as I can't stop playing it. Sounds fantastic and more versatile than the old one. Initial thought is that I will sell the Musitronics but that will require extensive reflection.

The mix setting is a very nice touch.

Nice job Mike! :hail:
Barefoot Dave
"His job is too shed light, not to master"
barefootdave
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby Smolder » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:34 am

@seiorpesca - that low end thing (kind of round shaped muddiness) is what I've been working very hard at eliminating. Whether it's the MXR, or any other EF. For me it doesn't work in the band mix. I've moved my MXR ((it's a great sounding mutt with weird bottom plate, LED, and 9 volt mods) to the shelf as a back up. still working out all of the setting and finding that having it on the floor on my pedal board isn;t very conducive to experimentation.
Smolder

Postby waldo041 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:58 am

seniorpesca wrote: the tru-tron has insane tracking but from what i notice so far lacks this sweet low end that i can only get tfrom the musictronics...:D

Great observation, this tells me that he may not have the Opto specs exactly perfect to the originals. It is the only component that lends to the difference you are hearing. Can anyone shoot a gut shot so we can see if it is the same opto later(arp) mutrons and qtrons used? The opto can be handmade but the matching of components to get an exact match is the difficult part. I would bet that the originals were handmade versus the mass produced ones they eventually went to. This I suspect is the reason for that lack of bass you noted senior.

As for the dialing in factor, if you are after an exact tone match to Jerry, IMHO, the only way to achieve it is with an actual Onboard(the guitar) Effects Loop(OBEL). You can try it with an effects loop on the ground, a volume pedal after it, a gain pedal in front or with this or that, but it will be a compromise and will have other factors that will attribute to the lack of achieving it.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby entraind » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:24 am

Just got mine a few days ago. All I can say is wow! For me, this wipes the floor with my old metal box Q-tron and the Proton. It really nails the vowel-like envelope that I could never get out of the Q-tron. The proton was able to get that sound but was very inconsistent in it's triggering and only worked really well for me when I dialed it in to a certain octave range. The Mu 3 combines the consistent triggering across the entire fretboard that I got out of the Q-tron with the vowel like expression (think 77,78 estimated) that the proton does so well. It works better in a band mix than both of them also. This pedal now has a permanent home on my board. I cannot imagine a better EF...Nice work Mike!
entraind
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby lunasparks » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:44 pm

Okay, not very organized but below are a few clips of the TruTron, as promised. First is noodling in context of an UJB jam. Second is just my rig, no jam along. I'm digging it.

https://soundcloud.com/lunasparks/2013-11-09-trutron-3x-ujb-jam

https://soundcloud.com/lunasparks/2013-11-09-trutron-noodle
lunasparks
Billy
Billy

Postby seniorpesca » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:15 pm

waldo041 wrote:
seniorpesca wrote: the tru-tron has insane tracking but from what i notice so far lacks this sweet low end that i can only get tfrom the musictronics...:D

Great observation, this tells me that he may not have the Opto specs exactly perfect to the originals. It is the only component that lends to the difference you are hearing. Can anyone shoot a gut shot so we can see if it is the same opto later(arp) mutrons and qtrons used? The opto can be handmade but the matching of components to get an exact match is the difficult part. I would bet that the originals were handmade versus the mass produced ones they eventually went to. This I suspect is the reason for that lack of bass you noted senior.

As for the dialing in factor, if you are after an exact tone match to Jerry, IMHO, the only way to achieve it is with an actual Onboard(the guitar) Effects Loop(OBEL). You can try it with an effects loop on the ground, a volume pedal after it, a gain pedal in front or with this or that, but it will be a compromise and will have other factors that will attribute to the lack of achieving it.

~waldo

I guess I should clarify to dialing into my prefered tone. But to it's defense I have not been able to try this pedal out of a Twin Reverb yet..I really am excited to hear the Tru-Tron on my pedalboard and see how much tone I regain from removing the mutron. No effects loops or anything fancy in my rig...yet..Really need to make that next step and go OBEL
seniorpesca
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby NSP » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:41 pm

lunasparks wrote:Okay, not very organized but below are a few clips of the TruTron, as promised. First is noodling in context of an UJB jam. Second is just my rig, no jam along. I'm digging it.

Nice, thanks.

Curious what guitar, pickups, and pickup setting you're using for these clips?
NSP
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby lunasparks » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:04 pm

NSP wrote:
lunasparks wrote:Okay, not very organized but below are a few clips of the TruTron, as promised. First is noodling in context of an UJB jam. Second is just my rig, no jam along. I'm digging it.

Nice, thanks.

Curious what guitar, pickups, and pickup setting you're using for these clips?

Moriarty Wolf, super 2 middle split.
lunasparks
Billy
Billy

Postby TI4-1009 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:28 pm

Here's a gut shot, I'm not willing to go any further at this point to get a look at the top of the board. Obviously "not your father's Mu-tron" :-) Surface mount resistors. I see two trim pots VR 4 and 5, so there may be others and who-knows-what on the top side. There you have it.

"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby hippieguy1954 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:58 am

This is exciting! Thanks for the demos etc. and the photos. Very much appreciated :smile:
I've been on the fence for a long time about spending a lot of $cratch on an original Mutron iii and after listening to the demos here and the commentary, I ordered a Tru-tron3x. Can't wait to use it!
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:14 am

This was on the TGP Trutron page :lol:

"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby rugger » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:59 am

entraind wrote:Just got mine a few days ago. All I can say is wow! For me, this wipes the floor with my old metal box Q-tron and the Proton. It really nails the vowel-like envelope that I could never get out of the Q-tron. The proton was able to get that sound but was very inconsistent in it's triggering and only worked really well for me when I dialed it in to a certain octave range. The Mu 3 combines the consistent triggering across the entire fretboard that I got out of the Q-tron with the vowel like expression (think 77,78 estimated) that the proton does so well. It works better in a band mix than both of them also. This pedal now has a permanent home on my board. I cannot imagine a better EF...Nice work Mike!

This was my experience as well. I set the knobs to like 4-5, plugged it in and BAM!--perfect sound. I think I almost wet my pants! I was expecting to be disappointed because of the finicky nature of every EF I have tried, but this thing was a home run from the first notes.

For anyone that is keeping track of this stuff, I ordered last Tuesday and received serial #57 the next day, Wednesday. I guess Mike's somewhere in San Diego which would account for the next day shipping. That was a very pleasant surprise.

John in San Diego
rugger
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby hippieguy1954 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:44 am

#57? That's great, man! That means I might get one of the first signed 100 also. Ordered it Saturday. I'll keep my fingers crossed. :|
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone