TruTron3x

Re: TruTron3x

Postby TI4-1009 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:41 am

waldo041 wrote:The Mutron Octave Divider can be had for much less from B.Y.O.C. Their version is indistinguishable in a blind A/B test.

Not to mention that it's about 1/3 the size- if your pedalboard is getting crowded.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby gr8fl4295 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:57 pm

Who wants to sell their Mu-Tron III?
Once in a while you get shown the light
In the strangest of places if you look at it right.
gr8fl4295
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby NSP » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:35 am

gr8fl4295 wrote:Who wants to sell their Mu-Tron III?

I figured that question would come up 8)

I have a vintage MUIII that I love, but thought about getting a Tru3 as well. I realize it would be impossible to make a true judgement of the new pedal without playing with it in ones own rig. But, from the demos I've heard so far, I still like the sound of the old one better...just seems a bit warmer and less sterile to what I'm hearing. Keep posting the demos guys, I'd love to hear one with the full Jer setup: split DiMarzio->Fender/SMS pre->Mac->JBL...

I'm certain I'd be all over it if I didn't have the MUIII.
NSP
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Smolder » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:47 am

gr8fl4295 wrote:Who wants to sell their Mu-Tron III?

Yah... I wondered what the Tru would do to existing EF pricing as well.

I've only dropped mine in front of my current board. The 12 volt thing is a bit of a pain, but I'll likely rearrange the pedal board in the next couple of days and move it into the effects loop with the waldo buffer pedal and see how that goes. IT's a whole lot bigger than my MXR EF ; )
Smolder

Postby NSP » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:28 am

Apologies for taking this thread away from strict Tru3 discussion, but I got to thinking after my post regarding demos and rig set-ups.
Do we know if Jerry had a go-to pickup setting when he used the MuTron? e.g. Middle split, middle HB, bridge HB, etc...
(Maybe Waldo can queue up some video evidence :smile: )
NSP
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Chip B » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:44 am

At 7:18 he is clearly in the middle pickup, the typical sound I think of with the Mutron.

Chip B
welcome
welcome

Postby TI4-1009 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:54 am

NSP wrote:Apologies for taking this thread away from strict Tru3 discussion, but I got to thinking after my post regarding demos and rig set-ups.
Do we know if Jerry had a go-to pickup setting when he used the MuTron? e.g. Middle split, middle HB, bridge HB, etc...

Great minds think alike....

When I play around with mine I find that the Tron is easier to push without the bucker split (duh). Since the distinctive tone of the Super II split is pretty well "disguised" by the effect, why wouldn't you keep it a full humbucker?
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

TI4-1009

Postby seniorpesca » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:36 pm

damn this thing is SWEET

even got my own personal serial number :cool: :cool:
seniorpesca
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby jkstraw » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:45 pm

I just got mine as well - #37 (a little surprised by that but it is what it is).

Looking forward to a good night of jamming! Now I will have to get my Mu-Tron III out for calibration so I can do a proper comparison!
jkstraw
Jerry
Jerry

Postby lunasparks » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:51 pm

Got mine today as well. #30. I played it for about 10 minutes, but it's bedtime for the kiddos. So far I like it better than my big-box Q-Tron+. It seems more stable, less likely to blow up my house (and my ears) with an errant pick attack. This weekend I'll dedicate some time to dialing it in and post some samples through my rig. Should be fun!
lunasparks
Billy
Billy

Postby waldo041 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:47 pm

NSP wrote:Apologies for taking this thread away from strict Tru3 discussion, but I got to thinking after my post regarding demos and rig set-ups.

The middle is the standard. That said, for Estimated i have seen him use the bridge/middle position with i think i remember the bridge in humbucker, but it could have been the middle i will have to look at that again. But am sure i have seen him in this position with one of the humbuckers on. At 3:20 in the Estimated video posted above you can see him adjust the pickup selector to the middle and possibly flip off the middle humbucker before the solo.

Found it;
Here he is clearly in the bridge/middle inbetween position, with the middle (bridge) toggle up in humbucker. Who says he doesn't use the humbuckers?

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby myoung6923 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:02 am

Just got mine and I haven't had a chance to run it through my rig. I very quickly tested it wit a guitar with EMG pickups and I wasn't so impressed, but that's not a good test. Sat I will run it through its paces at our gig. If we get decent recordings I'll post some clips.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

http://www.fennario.us
http://www.youtube.com/fennarioband
http://www.facebook.com/fennarioband
myoung6923

Postby Smolder » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:10 am

Thanks Waldo!

My inclination is that a stronger (hotter) pickup will give the broadest range of dynamics with any EF. But in my world the cleaner the better on the front end... and the super 2 in humbucker mode is pretty much the limit. I've at times used a clean boost in front of the filter, and then an overdrive afterwards to give it some grunge, but also to somewhat limit the impact in terms of volume and how it pounds the speakers.
Smolder

Postby TI4-1009 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:48 am

More Facebook posts from Mike B:

The MU control controls both the ENVELOPE SENSITIVITY and the AUDIO LEVEL TO THE PREAMP (exact same circuit as the Musitronics Mu-Tron III), when the little toggle switch in the middle is set to MU.

When you switch the toggle switch to PRE, the MU control STILL controls the envelope sensitivity, but the AUDIO LEVEL TO THE PREAMP is then INDEPENDENTLY controlled by the PRE control.

So th the PRE position, you have independent control of ENVELOPE DRIVE and AUDIO LEVEL. Which gives you many possibilities, like having a pretty strong envelope drive, a very high +Q (Peak control turned up high) but a LOW AUDIO LEVEL so that there's no signal distortion even with a high peak setting. Or you can blast the PRE control to distort most notes going INTO the filter, AND have the filter distort MORE, but keep the envelope drive at a linear range or turn that up to and SATURATE the envelope with every note.

The two LEDs next to the control indicate ENVELOPE SATURATION ( envelope is pushed to its limit when the light goes on), you can usually set it so it only goes on when you play your loudest notes or chords, to obtain a basically linear full-range sweep.

The AUDIO DISTORTION LED (red) goes on when either the PREAMP or the FILTER OUTPUT or BOTH are clipping. Some settings do not sound so good, but some give a very strange fuzz tone effect that you might like. I think the best sounds are either UN-distorted or WAY distorted, but I am sure you folks with the MUSICAL talent will find some nice combination settings of the MU and the PRE when used independently. m mt

CAUTION:
------------

DO NOT PLUG THE POWER SUPPLY INTO 220V, OTHEWISE YOU RISK TO DAMAGE IT. People in 220V countries should plug the adaptor into a little 220V-110V stepdown transformer to run their Tru-Tron 3X.

We use ISOLATED 12 Volts AC not DC, and derive internal DUAL 9V TRUE-GROUND supplies, which eliminates problems from glitchy pedalboard supplies that we have no control over. I gather that a lot of people want to mate these to their pedalboards but it should not be tried with that 2 terminal barrel jack. The insides aren't compatible with a +18 or a +24 volt supply, hooked up either way (to center pin or outside ring).

AND WE WILL BE VBERY SOON ISSUING A 220V POWER SUPPLY MODEL FOR ALL THE DIFFERENT 220 VOLT COUNTRIES. ANYBODY WITH A 110V POWER SUPPLY IN A 220V C0UNTRY PLEASE CONTACT ME. IF YOU ARE OK WITH A 220-110V STEPDOWN TRANSFORMER, THATS OK. BUT IF YOU WANT A REAL 220VOLT LINE INPUT, AND 12 VOLT AC NOT DC OUTPUT FOR TRUTRON3X WE WILL TRY TO GET ONE TO YOU WITH ABSOLUTE MINIMUM EXPENSE. I DID NOT WANT TO HOLD UP THE ORDERS TO THE 220 VOLT COUNTRIES BECAUSE PEOPLE WERE GETTING VERY IMPATIENT, BUT WE ALSO DID NOT HAVE 220V POWER ADAPTORS IN OUR HANDS, AND WON'T HAVE ANY TILL NEXT WEEK AT EARLIEST. MORE STARTUP TROUBLES. MY FAULT. ANNOUNCED PRODUCT (IN ALL GOOD FAITH BUT) TOO EARLY. I HAVE BEEN WORKING VERY HARD WITH MY MANUFACTURER HERE IN SOUTHERN CA TO GET ALL THE LOOSE ENDS TIED UP. IT'S JUST TAKING SOME TIME. MAYBE I SHOULD TAKE A "FACEBOOK VACATION" FOR A FEW DAYS AND FINISH THE USER MANUAL, THE SAFETY STICKERS, ETC. BUT THERE IS SO MUCH GOING ON HERE ON THE PAGE THAT I DON'T LIKE TO LEAVE PEOPLE WITHOUT REPLIES OR ANSWERS. ADVISE PATIENCE AND FORBEARANCE WITH TRYING OUT POWER SUPPLIES OTHER THAN OUR POWER SUPPLY UNIT PLUGGED INTO 110 OR A 220-110 TRANSFORMER. M MT

TI4-1009

Postby Poor Peter » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:04 pm

Howdy All, Now that several of you have had this pedal for a while, what settings are you using. How are you dialing in that sweet spot.
Poor Peter
Terrapin
Terrapin

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone