Jerry Inspired Build Project

Jerry Inspired Build Project

Postby JamGuy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:11 pm

Howdy all... I'm a newbie in these parts and have a few questions. I'm planning (another) Jerry-esque Strat build project. Instead of a H/H/S configuration, I'm opting for a H/S/H. The thought is a Super 2 pickup for the neck (8.7ohm), a Red Velvet for the middle(8.52ohm), and a good ol' DP100 for the bridge(13.68ohm). The outputs seem a good match to me and the Red Velvet is supposed to be a higher output strat/tele hybrid which I like the sound of. I'm still working on figuring out a wiring scheme (with a 5-Way, 1 volume, 2 tone. I want to take advantage of the coil splitting of both the humbuckers. I like the idea of having a middle tone knob and a tone for the neck and bridge (ala Jerry) and here comes the question...

My first thought was 500k pots all around but then I thought with the isolated middle tone knob that I should put a 250k which seems a logical pairing with the single coil? Will pot values come into play with an Alembic Stratoblaster preamp installed? My intention is to simply install it normally (with the exception of extending the battery wires so I can mount the battery in the trem cavity). Any thoughts?

Well, that'll get me started. I'm taking this project slow... I'm selling off odds and ends on ebay to fund it. (So far I have the pick guard). I just want to get some advice on pots before I pull the trigger. Thanks folks, JG

I posted a pic of my main player... two Fender Tex Mex, a DP100 in the bridge, an Alembic pre-amp, maple neck and ash body. I love this guitar but I'd really like to give the Super 2 and Red Velvet a try... I have Super Distortions in two of my strats already but for me it's a no brainer. Hands down my favorite bridge pickup.
JamGuy
Rosebud
Rosebud

Re: Jerry Inspired Build Project

Postby JamGuy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:57 am

Oh no, more questions...

You'll have to pardon me, I am quite unclear on a few other things. As I continue to explore the idea of putting this guitar together, I really want to make it more like one of his actual guitars than the last one I put together (which really isn't much like any of his guitars) I've just discovered the Wald TPC-1 preamp buffer... would using this replace the Alembic preamp? Also, what about adding the OBEL... that will require two output jacks, right? I happen to agree that much of Jerry's tone was in his fingers, not his gear, but if I'm going to take the time to build this thing up right, I'd like to know more about my options. I know the use of some of this will require different pot values than the ones I mentioned in my first post.
JamGuy
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby tcsned » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:14 am

You could do both the Blaster and Waldo's buffer, they're different animals. Milobender is reworking a guitar for me and is doing both with a toggle to switch between. He also added a pot for the blaster to go from unity to, I think, +6db. He may be able to help you if that's the direction you want to go. The OBEL is cool and I love mine it's more of a convenience if you use a lot of stomp boxes and does seem to help control the Mutron plus it gives you a post effects master volume on you guitar which is nice too.
tcsned

Postby TI4-1009 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:35 am

I'm thinking that with HSH configuration you can use a 500k for bridge and neck, and a 250 for the middle single coil. Just not sure about wiring both humbuckers to a single pot, or if you'd need dual ganged 500? Anyone?

Leo at Scarlet Fire sells a dual strat jackplate for OBEL.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby JamGuy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:28 pm

TI4-1009 wrote:I'm thinking that with HSH configuration you can use a 500k for bridge and neck, and a 250 for the middle single coil. Just not sure about wiring both humbuckers to a single pot, or if you'd need dual ganged 500? Anyone?

Leo at Scarlet Fire sells a dual strat jackplate for OBEL.

Do you mean a stacked Jazz Bass type control?
JamGuy
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby TI4-1009 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:41 pm

Tiger and Wolf both had a stacked dual pot for tone control of two pickups at once. Both pots controled by one knob, no independent adjustment. Scarlet Fire and AO both have them for sale, or if you poke around here you can find out how to make one. See the wiring diagrams on waldo's site:

http://www.wald-electronics.com/irwin.html
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

TI4-1009

Postby JamGuy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:37 pm

Tiger and Wolf both had a stacked dual pot for tone control of two pickups at once. Both pots controled by one knob, no independent adjustment.

I appreciate the help, thanks! So I need to track down a stacked dual 500k linear pot for the neck/bridge tone control, and a linear 250k for the middle, and the 25k volume pot. Cool... got it. Things are beginning to gel in my head... I think I better understand the difference between the Wald pre-amp and the Alembic Blaster... they seem like two different beasts entirely. I do have a rather extensive effects chain (wah>micropog>discumbobulator>rotary phaser>Metal Zone>TS-9DX>delay>loop station>sonic stomp) so it sounds like I could benefit from "cleaning up" my signal... I'm sure a lot of my tone is being sucked long before it gets the amp. I think the OBEL would be fun to incorporate too... the Alembic preamp doesn't seem like something I need to add.

I'm trying to cook up some sort of dual output jack system to fit over the strat football shaped input hole... I was thinking putting a couple of flat Les Paul style jack plates side by side but they measure up shorter than the length of the original jack cup. I'll be able to come up with something...

Another couple of questions... I know Jerry used a 5-way pickup selector but what exactly were his pickup combos accessed by the 5-way? I get the toggle functions I think... does one just split the two humbuckers and the other runs them in parallel? Am I going to run into trouble by sandwiching the single coil in the middle instead of the neck... I know I'll have to adjust the wiring slightly but am I missing anything else?

I really do appreciate all the help folks... I'm getting to where I can wire a strat with my eyes closed, but this is a whole new ball of wax!
JamGuy
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby hippieguy1954 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:14 am

If you are going for Tiger wiring ( OBEL, Waldo preamp/buffer, split coil switches) with the single coil in the middle, the only difference would be the pickup connections at the 5 way switch.

Also, you can share one 500K pot for the hum buckers by using a jumper on the 5 way switch. You just don't have the luxury of one for each hum bucker.

Have you checked this out? Scroll all the way to the bottom. http://www.wald-electronics.com/tiger.html
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby TI4-1009 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:18 am

I'm trying to cook up some sort of dual output jack system to fit over the strat football shaped input hole... I was thinking putting a couple of flat Les Paul style jack plates side by side but they measure up shorter than the length of the original jack cup. I'll be able to come up with something...

I think Leo at ScarletFire makes just what you're looking for.

TI4-1009

Postby hippieguy1954 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:01 am

I made a jack plate out of brass. Image
hippieguy1954

Postby JamGuy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:31 am

Also, you can share one 500K pot for the hum buckers by using a jumper on the 5 way switch. You just don't have the luxury of one for each hum bucker.
Cool... so that's like using a jumper to add the bridge pup to the second tone control on the strat... got it! :-)

I think Leo at ScarletFire makes just what you're looking for.

That is just what I'm looking for, thanks. I haven't closely examined their parts list yet but will soon. :-)

Thanks again, I think I can go ahead a order up the pots, toggles, and a 5-way today... I need to check and see if I need a regular 5-way or a 5-way super switch. Awesome guys, thanks!
JamGuy
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby JamGuy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:50 pm

Quick question… I know from looking at the Tiger wiring diagram that the two of the toggle switches are on/on…. is the one associated with the preamp also a DPDT on/on? Thanks...
JamGuy
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby hippieguy1954 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:04 pm

JamGuy wrote:Quick question… I know from looking at the Tiger wiring diagram that the two of the toggle switches are on/on…. is the one associated with the preamp also a DPDT on/on? Thanks...

Yes, they are all on/on. Two are for splitting the coils on the hum buckers. Each hum bucker has its own coil split switch.

The other is for alternating between On Board Effects Loop (OBEL) on (signal to effects/back) or on (signal straight to amp). The signal runs through the preamp/buffer at all times. It has to go through the switch for the OBEL for that reason only.
hippieguy1954

Postby JamGuy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:15 pm

Thanks… I've got it now! I can't thank you all enough… it's quite an undertaking but I'm really looking forward to it. I've got some of the electronics ordered and am thinking some about the details of the finished product. I think I'm going to use the tiny Jazz Bass knobs and an all black plastic color scheme. I'm looking at either a Candy Cola or Mystic red Strat body and am thinking of ordering up a Warmoth (warmoth model) neck when the time comes. I need to take it one step at a time… I think the wiring will keel me plenty busy for a spell.

Any good sources for high quality mini toggles? I like those little micro toggles too that are sometimes used on effects pedals.

I think I found some honey wells… http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=70118951#tab=specs
JamGuy
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby hippieguy1954 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:33 pm

Here is one source http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics ... tches.html

There are lots more too. Just google: spdt on-on mini toggle switch
hippieguy1954

Next

Return to Guitar Building and Mods