Mu-Tron III Backup

Re: Mu-Tron III Backup

Postby Smolder » Wed May 01, 2013 9:13 pm

Can't wait to hear about Mike's new stuff. Though I can't seem to find any updates on his sites.

Also - back to the MXR envelope filter... I found out something interesting. I use the Waldo buffer loop in a pedal. I use it after the boost/overdrive because I want them to see the pickups directly. Putting the MXR before the buffer did not produce that same responsiveness... it was dull and hard to control. Put it after the buffer, and it's back to stellar performance.
Last edited by Smolder on Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smolder

Postby cmc64 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:57 pm

Very interesting but seems to make sense as the envelope filter is voltage sensitive and would want to see full volume from the pickups so the buffer before it seems like the right place.

On a good note, Mr Lingenberg shipped my Mu-III yesterday so I will have it on 5/7 (what a day). Woohoo! And it looks like JerryStrat #2 (aka poor guy's Wolf - Alembic Blaster, effects loop, SDS-1 in the neck and bridge and Scott Walker Super 2 Single Coil in the middle) will be back in my hands soon as well (so the GOOD Strat can ship out for it's workover). Thanks to the guys responsible for taking such good care of me - you know who you are!!! :hail:
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Postby claytushaywood » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:40 am

the madbean nautilus is definitely the "backup" to have. I put back up in quotes because it is a direct mutron clone with modern convenience modifciations that do not affect tone. Having one of these or building your own is gonna give you a more reliable tone (as those old components inside the original mutron's are sure to have wavered in resistance and capacitance over the years making them sound different unit to unit. They were also built with old components that didnt have good tolerance ratings. You may so but the mojo of old components right? jerry definitely didnt believe in that stuff as you see with his military grade metal film resistors found in his fender twin's. madbean has done all of us a favor by releasing the nautilus circuit board for purchase! Not an easy build but definitely a majhor advantage over buying a vintage mutron in price and performance
claytushaywood
Billy
Billy

Postby tatittle » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:05 am

Regarding Smolders post I am curious what order other folks are chaining their Mutron boards...
I have been putting the octave down in front of the Mutron and overdrives after. My experience is the type/brand of filter can change which order sounds best to me. Is above what Jerry did? I noticed it sounds like some folks here are putting the overdrive in front of the Mutron/filter.
tatittle
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby Smolder » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:41 am

@Clay... I have built a couple of the madbean nautilus pedals... very extreme ranges of signal strength depending upon the settings. I can't imagine this thing being very usable on a pedal board if you ever had to make changes to the settings... might be the impetus for the OBEL or why Kimock puts his Mu up on his amps and not on the floor.

@tatittle... I corrected my post... I want the overdrive and boost (earth drive or klon) to see the guitar's pickups (not pedals as previously typed). Which is why my MXR EF is first in the loop after the buffer. I know a lot of guys put the EF as the very first pedal in the chain, but to me the boost/overdrive pedals are more important and I get good results this way.
Smolder

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:16 am

tatittle wrote:Regarding Smolders post I am curious what order other folks are chaining their Mutron boards...
I have been putting the octave down in front of the Mutron and overdrives after. My experience is the type/brand of filter can change which order sounds best to me. Is above what Jerry did? I noticed it sounds like some folks here are putting the overdrive in front of the Mutron/filter.

Mike B asked the order question on his FB page- here's an edited compilation of the responses:

Mike Mu-Tron
Before or after dirt? Where do you put your Mu-Tron phaser in the effects chain?

.Mike Mu-Tron By the way, this "where to put the dirt(Distortion) with respect to a Mu-Tron III type effect is NOT NOT NOT answered simply. There are MANY aspects of ENVELOPE available in all but the most "cranked" distortion devices. Depends what you want to get out of the FX chain. If BEFORE, you will get clean phasiing of a distorted signal. If AFTER, the phase shifting will alter the kind of distortion you would get, the harmonics of the original signal are moving around and so ...

David Ghostlaw Before.
Brian Holcomb After the fuzz and od before flange and delay
Sean Tovson before
Jon Whittington After octave before
Holy Schnikes I sandwich mine between fuzz/dirt, best of both worlds.
Dallas Barr After dirt, before comp and delay...
Mike Young Both. One before and one after.
Michael Stram Both. Before a heavy fuzz. After a light od pedal. Works a treat on bass. You should also ask how many mutrons in the signal chain.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby JamGuy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:54 pm

I really like my Emma Discumbobulator, it quite convincingly nails the Mu-Tron sound (to my ears anyway). They had been discontinued but have been recently reissued....
JamGuy
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby claytushaywood » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:12 am

[quote="Smolder"]@Clay... I have built a couple of the madbean nautilus pedals... very extreme ranges of signal strength depending upon the settings. I can't imagine this thing being very usable on a pedal board if you ever had to make changes to the settings... might be the impetus for the OBEL or why Kimock puts his Mu up on his amps and not on the floor.

i use it all the time and make changes live. jerry didnt make changes live though, right? thanks for naking me learn a new word... my generation dont read much... but yeh id say if the mutron was the reason behind the obel. in my case it doesnt even justify it on any guitar but one
claytushaywood
Billy
Billy

Postby Smolder » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:35 am

I wasn't trying to be snarky... it's just my observation / opinion that my time with the nautilus hasn't been very fruitful.
Smolder

Postby claytushaywood » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:06 am

i come across as an asshole in writing... i should start using smilies- for real :D
claytushaywood
Billy
Billy

Postby claytushaywood » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:41 am

so i just bought another madbean nautilus for a good deal off a dude, and it is nothing like the one i built a while back. Not even close to a mutron iii... i didnt build it so it makes me wonder if its got a wrong resisor value in it or is that finicky of a circuit... it's gotta be a building error though, its easy to use a wrong resistor and still have the pedal functioning somewhat normally
claytushaywood
Billy
Billy

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone