Jerry Tele- Who Knew?

Re: Jerry Tele- Who Knew?

Postby waldo041 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:32 pm

zambiland wrote:I remember an early 70s interview where Jerry talked about playing a Tele a lot. It made me wonder if his tracks on Ace are with a Tele.

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby TI4-1009 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:26 pm

The guy I referred to in the OP said it was a butterscotch with a maple neck- just like Jon's.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby TI4-1009 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:50 pm

OK, no photoshoping here. I got the Legion of Mary set last week and just noticed this photo- I'm pretty sure it's a tele? We've talked about it but I don't recall seeing many/any actual photos before. All the other photos with this set are with Wolf.

"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

TI4-1009

Postby tcsned » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:17 pm

It's got a strat neck on it but that body looks awfully flat on the back like a tele. The upper part is obscured so I can't be sure but looks like a tele.
tcsned

Postby zambiland » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:54 pm

tcsned wrote:It's got a strat neck on it but that body looks awfully flat on the back like a tele. The upper part is obscured so I can't be sure but looks like a tele.

But it hangs from the strap like a strat. There's a picture of Jerry from a Guitar Player interview in '71 or '72 where he's holding a Tele.
zambiland
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby Searing75 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:24 pm

It's a Strat for sure. You can see where it goes in at the strap bolt. Sorry. :|
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby TI4-1009 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:36 am

Yeah, everything else points towards a strat. Maybe it's the lighting, I just don't remember seeing a strat with lower bout edges that sharp. This should have been after Alligator was retired, right?

:lol:

TI4-1009

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:33 am

Searing75 wrote:It's a Strat for sure. You can see where it goes in at the strap bolt. Sorry. :|

Agreed, there's a clear shadow under the strap button, representing the upper horn, and not a lot of wood by the strap button itself. I agree the edge radius looks a little sharp, but that could be just the lighting, or it could be just a strat with a different radius bit used on the edges. IIRC they did make a few "slab body" Strats like that.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby AlabamaDidn'tGetAway » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:46 am

I don't have a "Jerry Rig" per se. But when I play Dead, this one does a pretty convincing job of it.
Or just about any other style of music I care to try with it as well.
Its a partscaster I put together. Bill Lawrence/Wylde L48TL and L45S pickups. A really nice Allparts neck and GFS pawlonia body.
Ol Bill is a genius and his stuff is amazingly affordable. He taught Mr. Dimarzzio the trade. Bardens are a reverse engineered Bill design.
I would highly suggest you get yourself some of his creations while you still can. He ain't gonna be around forever.
http://www.wildepickups.com/
AlabamaDidn'tGetAway
tiger
tiger

Postby tcsned » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:45 pm

I didn't realize Joe Bardens were reverse engineered Lawrence pups. Interesting. I've got a set of Barden humbuckers in my Warmoth WGD and I love them.
tcsned

Postby AlabamaDidn'tGetAway » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:32 pm

tcsned wrote:I didn't realize Joe Bardens were reverse engineered Lawrence pups. Interesting. I've got a set of Barden humbuckers in my Warmoth WGD and I love them.

Well, not exactly. Thats kinda an exageration. I'm sure Mr Barden puts his own spin on em.
But Bill was the first, and the last word on em as far as I can tell.
I've never played Bardens, but from the YouTube demos I've heard and peoples descriptions of em, they sound pretty much like my L48TL/L45S combo. Which Mr LAwrence sells for a measly $50 apeice.
AlabamaDidn'tGetAway
tiger
tiger

Postby tatittle » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:42 am

I am suprised I haven't seen more of Jerry playing a tele over the years...the versatility of a Strat is hard to match though, and Ive read Jerry liked to play only 1 guitar at a time to get fully used to it (rather than switching every song like some young guys that use a tech to tune it up then exchange). It seems like a great match to 1 or 2 of his quintessential styles.

I have a 90 CIJ Tele that is the most comfortable Fender scale guitar I have owned. It has great resonance that the hardtail Strats Ive tried lack. The lack of back routing can make them uncomfortable---dig into your ribcage or whatever, which is a drawback for long performances. i should give a 3 p'up Nashville style a try.
tatittle
Billy
Billy

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby CountryMile Cadillac » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:30 pm

As an ASAT player I love the Tele!!

Here is a good link on this topic…
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-d ... -tele.html
"Think I'll come back here again,
Every now and then from time to time"
CountryMile Cadillac