Mu-Fx Tru Tron 3X envelope filter

Re: Mu-Fx Tru Tron 3X envelope filter

Postby tatittle » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:44 pm

My reading etc has led me to have a very high opinion of Mike Biegal as a guy who creates out of genuine curiosity, adventure, and respect for the art and life rather than just to make cash. My understanding is he left with nothing from Musitronics when its original incarnation folded, I really wish I had the dough right now. I wouldnt worry about deadline changes either, that just seems to be a weakness of the best creative minds :) He definitely deserves respect and support from this com'ty I would think.

I am lucky enough to have an original III that I scored for $350 BIN on fleabay. Im still fairly young but my understanding is the post earlier about the proprietary component describes the major reason nothing has quite gotten there yet. The old component was 1 piece and the mass produced new ones are 2 pieces linked together.

"I thought the real-deal original circuit couldn't be duplicated because the vactrols used were no longer available. Does he address this issue at all?"

What I would fear is no manufacturers are willing to make them again at a reasonable price---just seems to be the case in every field from home building to cars to tubes these days. The vast majority of folks seem to accept "thats how its done now" without much objection. Intuition tells me Mike isnt one of them though. He definitely deserves respect and support from this com'ty I would think.
tatittle
Bear
Bear

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby tatittle » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:49 pm

I may be imagining this all wrong, but it sounds to me like the new Preamp may take care of the issues with weak signals on Musitronics devices that makes buffers so indispensible with them. That would be a good thing for sure.
Cant wait to check one out :)
tatittle
Bear
Bear

Postby James-T » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:51 am

Has anyone else tried the 3leaf Protron? I've hot the qtron the one in the wood box. It's bit it twice now. Just last week it failed to turn on. The first time it was just a switch that I managed to jury rig back into somewhat working order. The qtrons are not made to be tossed around before and after gigs. That's for sure.

I watched the Protron demo on YouTube. It's hard to tell but I thinks it's comparable with the qtron but not the same thing as the mutton. It is a great size for the average board! I'm looking forward to the reviews on Mike's re-issue. My experience has been that they just don't make them like they used to. Hope Mike proves us wrong!

Peace,

James
James-T
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby mrMix » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:32 am

I have the 3Leaf and really love it. I had the Qtron and also a Mad Professor SWAW - this one has been my favorite!
mrMix
Sitting plush with royal flush. Aces back to back...
mrMix
Brent
Brent

Postby redeyedjim » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:35 pm

Maybe it's just me, but I'm sort of "meh" on the Proton. I have the current version of the Proton, and while I like it better than the previous two versions I tried*, I'm still not in love with it. It isn't horrible by any means, just a bit sterile to my ears; I'll probably be selling mine soon. For a small footprint EF, I like the old MXR EF over the Proton, although I prefer the Proton over the Maxon AF9. I've never tried a Q-Tron. If we compare strictly on the basis of sound, however, I prefer Mu III by a wide margin. No surprise there, i guess.

I'm looking forward to trying Mike's new one and seeing what it can do.

We tend to go 'round and 'round on these EF topics, which proves the point that there isn't a single pedal that's right for everyone. Apart form a vintage Mu III, perhaps.

*V1: fixed delay time; V1.5: two position delay time; V2 (current): variable delay time
Dilettante - sounds nicer than "hack"
redeyedjim
Mickey
Mickey

Postby TI4-1009 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:02 pm

I believe this was the first forum post with footnotes. Well done REJ! :cool:
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby joethepainter » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:32 pm

Hey redeyed, I'm the guy who snagged your Proton V1, and I do like it, especially the size! It is a little 'sterile' sounding, for lack of a better term, but it tracks great, and does get good and 'whompy' when I turn up and dig in. I also have a big box Q-Tron, old as hell, and it shows...the switches are wiggly, and if I drop it, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't survive. It sounds great, tho, in my opinion closer to 'the sound' than the proton, but for better or worse, the proton's back on my board...I know, big help, right? :roll:
Peace, Joe
joethepainter
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby Chip B » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:59 am

I recently bought a new Proton, and overall I like it. Compared to my (very road worn) Mutron III it has some strengths and some weaknesses. I really like that is true bypass and that the gain control does not effect the output volume. Obviously the size is very pedalboard friendly, top jacks are great. I bought it specifically to go on a small practice board that I can take to rehearsals easily, so that is perfect. As for sound, it definitely has the essence of the Mutron, really nailing the vowel sound quality, the right kind of "wwwoooowww" that so many filters get differently. The decay control on the newer model allows you to dial the sweep in the right way. Compared to my MIII it has a similar rich, full bass, which other filters often miss, often leaving the overall sound a little thin. The Proton filter is not as dark as the Mutron though, it sounds noticeably brighter even when the filter is not sweeping. In the mix this doesn't make a huge difference. Where the Proton gives me trouble is with the tracking. I find that with my Strat single coils it really works better with a slight boost in front of it, which is fine, I run my rig with a booster/buffer on all the time anyway. Somehow the hotter input signal works better even than cranking up the gain control. The other issue is tracking on high strings vs low strings, which can sometimes be inconsistent, so I have to think more about my pick attack to get an even sweep across all the strings. Others mentioned it sounds sterile, and perhaps there is a little of that compared to the original, somehow it isn't quite so "liquid". This is all manageable though, and for a reasonable price in a modern package I think it is a great alternative to a vintage MIII.

I will be very curious to see how the Tru-Tron works out for people. I am a little disappointed that the enclosure is still so large and awkward. But hopefully the sound is there. I am very curious to know about the input buffer and how the gain control effects output.
Chip B
welcome
welcome

Postby James-T » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:08 pm

That's a great review. 8)

I found a second youtube demo which was much more impressive. I'm leaning towards the Protron!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBArR3EARIM

Peace,

James
James-T
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby TI4-1009 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:20 am

Check out this pedalboard Mike B posted on his Facebook page!

"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby tcsned » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:28 pm

Mike posted this on his site:
http://snd.sc/1hJjIWI
tcsned

Postby tatittle » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:36 pm

Cool. Sounds like it has the sustain that some filters lack, although the gain/MU sounds set pretty high to me too.
tatittle
Bear
Bear

Postby entraind » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:43 pm

Chip B wrote:I recently bought a new Proton, and overall I like it. Compared to my (very road worn) Mutron III it has some strengths and some weaknesses. I really like that is true bypass and that the gain control does not effect the output volume. Obviously the size is very pedalboard friendly, top jacks are great. I bought it specifically to go on a small practice board that I can take to rehearsals easily, so that is perfect. As for sound, it definitely has the essence of the Mutron, really nailing the vowel sound quality, the right kind of "wwwoooowww" that so many filters get differently. The decay control on the newer model allows you to dial the sweep in the right way. Compared to my MIII it has a similar rich, full bass, which other filters often miss, often leaving the overall sound a little thin. The Proton filter is not as dark as the Mutron though, it sounds noticeably brighter even when the filter is not sweeping. In the mix this doesn't make a huge difference. Where the Proton gives me trouble is with the tracking. I find that with my Strat single coils it really works better with a slight boost in front of it, which is fine, I run my rig with a booster/buffer on all the time anyway. Somehow the hotter input signal works better even than cranking up the gain control. The other issue is tracking on high strings vs low strings, which can sometimes be inconsistent, so I have to think more about my pick attack to get an even sweep across all the strings. Others mentioned it sounds sterile, and perhaps there is a little of that compared to the original, somehow it isn't quite so "liquid". This is all manageable though, and for a reasonable price in a modern package I think it is a great alternative to a vintage MIII.

I will be very curious to see how the Tru-Tron works out for people. I am a little disappointed that the enclosure is still so large and awkward. But hopefully the sound is there. I am very curious to know about the input buffer and how the gain control effects output.

Spot-on description Chip. This is exactly my experience of the Proton. I use single coils as well and after 12 years with the old silver box Q-tron the Proton kicked it off the board mostly due to the vowel-like performance that recalls 77-78 Estimated in particular. I agree about the spotty tracking too. I took the plunge on the Tru-tron, it will be interesting to see how it stacks up...
entraind
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby joeriz » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:38 pm

I have to agree...very good description of the Proton. I also have one and your experience pretty much matches mine.
joeriz
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby Poor Peter » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:58 pm

Does anyone know if Mike has started shipping these yet?
Poor Peter
Terrapin
Terrapin

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone