I need some tube opinions from the pros playin with myJGSMS.

I need some tube opinions from the pros playin with myJGSMS.

Postby boater1941 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:14 am

I have a friend that runs a music store and every now and then slides me some new tubes when a defunct amp has to be sent back to supplier. These tubes GT 12AX7's came from V2 n V3 of a brand new Blues Jr.III. The exact marking from V2 = 12AX7-R ,Big GT logo and russia and digits 1204 on the glass. The tube from V3 is identical except under the GT logo it says in Orange "Premium".
Haven't been able to find some specs or ratings on these anywhere..
I popped them in my SMS last nite. Let em cook for a while n proceeded to jam. I found they had a more ear piercing highs but not as much sustain as the 2 tubes that came with it. Both SMS V1 n V2 have a symbol of a rocket/bullet/or an elongated letter D. They are both the exact same 12ax7vka.
Is any one here playin with tubes and their findings(sorry didn't search lazy). Also I managed to score GE NOS 12ax7(V1) and a real RCA 7025 for V2 still in the red box. The 7025 just says 7025 not 12ax7/7025 etc. Will I need a socket adapter to install these?
Any help tips combos much appreciated.
Thanks,
Boater.
boater1941
Donna
Donna

Re: I need some tube opinions from the pros playin with myJG

Postby Smolder » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:28 am

the 7025 is a heavy duty 12AX7. No difference in gain.

The tubes that Brad puts in these when he ships them are pretty damn nice. Not sure if he tests or screens them, but they're great. In general, new or recently manufactured tubes won't last as long as NOS (made in the 40/50/60's) tubes... often by a factor of 5-10x.

IMHO... nothing sound better in the ab763 circuit than RCA black plate 12AX7's. SHort plates tend to be more stable than long lates, particularly if you're gigging and moving the unit around... though if a long plate goes microphonic, you can always move it to the phase inverter slot. The GE will likely be a little softer sounding than an RCA... though it's still a damn nice tube.

btw - I'm not a pro. Just a garage hack amp builder and player.
Smolder

Postby boater1941 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:54 am

I know Brad mentioned he had some trouble with JJ's after a curtain date. I beleive the twin 64-67 used an RCA or GE 12AX7 in V1 then the hardest to find on the net . The RCA 7025 Redbox 9pin.
Can anyone elaborate on the quality of the two tubes especially the GT premium 12ax7 8pin that came from the BluesJr.III? Thanks all.
boater1941
Donna
Donna

Postby Smolder » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:22 pm

boater1941 wrote:I know Brad mentioned he had some trouble with JJ's after a curtain date. I beleive the twin 64-67 used an RCA or GE 12AX7 in V1 then the hardest to find on the net . The RCA 7025 Redbox 9pin.
Can anyone elaborate on the quality of the two tubes especially the GT premium 12ax7 8pin that came from the BluesJr.III? Thanks all.

If it's a 12AX7, it has 9 pins. If not, then one broke off and it's probably worthless. The old GT... prior to the Fender acquisition was known for good testing and making sure the tubes they sold were reliable and good sounding. I'm not sure they made many, but they had some made for them.
Smolder

Postby boater1941 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:51 pm

Yep they had come from a brand new FenderBlues Jr.3. Just finished as sesh................gave em time to de volt and put brads bullets 12ax7vka's back in.......noticeably big difference. I have some NOS RCA Red Box which tested almost factory from a local tube master in town. On the end of each box is white flaps and the V1 I plan on using has in bold black 12AX7 and the other for V2 has just 7025 nothing else. some have 12ax7/7025 and or other variations. 7025 all by itself is what you want. I got them from a tv/radio tube addict in town for a hund each. By judging and looking at the wall off hundreds of tubes when he says these are by far his best I believe him. Especially the 7025. He didn't even want to sell it to me. It's emmaculate. From each pin you can see the red vein like path crystal clear. Pumped to hear the Sarno after this upgrade. He deals mainly in preamp's and tv's and he even uses SS for amplification. I'm actually gonna throw these two GT's in my home designed jfet jerry pre.
Also the ground lift screw at the back. Any benefits?
boater1941
Donna
Donna

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:09 pm

GT, JJ, EH... in my experience, modern tubes are a crapshoot. You might get decent tubes, you might get lemons. For at least your 1st gain stage (V1 in many amps, V2 for the reverb channel of an AB763-type), it's very worth it to invest in a very high quality (probably NOS) 12ax7. Older brands I have had good experiences using include RCA, Sylvania, GE, Westinghouse, Philips ECG...
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby boater1941 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:25 pm

Thanks for the honest reply. Everyone seems so defensive around here. I'm gonna pop these RCA's in the Sarno. Thanks again for the nice reply. I read on the tele forum or gearpage this thread about how the dead heads are not dead heads anymore and money weighs more than kindness at rukind and how they lash out at dozin or any new guy. Phil was even talkin about the internet and how it stopped them from releasing more view from the vault dvds. He also stated that there's people marketing guitar products through a website with jerry's name as a reference are about to under go legal proceedings that will bury them.
I read through some of it and sharing was always the dead way. All info of parts and the use of names in the product title is going to set these sites and creator's of said products back 10 years with the legal winnings going to Rex or somewhere dead head approved.
I hate reading stuff like that.
boater1941
Donna
Donna

Postby waldo041 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:34 pm

not a pro but, imho, 1st gain stage should also be the quietest. This is where the noise floor originates and will only be amplified in late stages.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby boater1941 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:51 pm

Thanks for the reply. I might throw the Premium GT Fender version R low noise and follow up with a real RCA 7025. Hey Brad mentions playin with variations of tubes in his manual. Haven't found too many peeps talkin about upgrading or playing with the tubes. I know this beauty sounds great out of the box but hey a 200 dollar tube upgrade can't hurt.
What's Brad's take on this?
boater1941
Donna
Donna

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:12 am

This doc is at least 12 years old, but it's still the most extensive collection of tube data I have seen:http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/Tubeprimerandselection330.pdf
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby boater1941 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:58 pm

Thanks for the info. I just won a couple auctions ..........
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/131007695575?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1426.l2649

and some RCA 12AX7's in a different auction. I'm sure the sms will sound awesome with these. Didn't the 64-67 ab763 use GE or RCA's 12AX7 in V1 and a 7025 in V2?
boater1941
Donna
Donna

Postby boater1941 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:12 pm

Actually I had it backwards above . Got my RCA's today. Figured I'd try the way the original way the ab763 was originated. I took the NOS RCA 7025 that tested closest factory spec for V1 and used a new GT 12AX7-C Premium for V2. The Chinese ax7 had noticable tonal response compared to the NOS RCA 12AX7. Holy batman I'm barely touching strings this is the best tube combo I've tried yet. Unreal.
boater1941
Donna
Donna

Postby Smolder » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:49 pm

boater1941 wrote:Actually I had it backwards above . Got my RCA's today. Figured I'd try the way the original way the ab763 was originated. I took the NOS RCA 7025 that tested closest factory spec for V1 and used a new GT 12AX7-C Premium for V2. The Chinese ax7 had noticable tonal response compared to the NOS RCA 12AX7. Holy batman I'm barely touching strings this is the best tube combo I've tried yet. Unreal.

V1 would be the place I'd put the best tube. It's the first gain stage and the tone stack follower (and as waldo suggested... the point with the most noise potential)... I'm actually not even sure what V2 does in the SMS. Maybe it works with the reverb? I've not bothered to look very closely at the circuit.
Smolder

Postby Searing75 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:14 am

As far as I know there are two tube producers in Russia, one in China, and one in Yugoslovia. All modern day tubes come from one of those 4 factory's. Amd I right here? Most tubes that come with amps are going to be Sovteks, russian made. Tubes are a total crap shoot. Don't buy into the hype of NOS or fancy new testsed this and that, carbon frozen, yada yada. Try many, no matter the brand, and you will find one you lie. Make it a bling hearing test (don't look at the brand you put in) . Some cheap Sovtek's will sound better than an RCA, and vice versa. The Shugang (spelling) generation 9 12AX7's have been very good for alot of people. I think that is what Brad is shipping with in his SMS preamps. Just try every 12AX7 you can get your hands on. Look for old organs at garage sales, or on the curb, and pilfer the tubes.
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby boater1941 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:59 pm

Maybe Brad can elaborate on the V2 section and my tube setup. 7025 in V1 and in v2 I left brads 12ax7vka russian 1008. What a diff. I cant even turn my amp past 2-3 now my twin k120's are on fire with this setup.
boater1941
Donna
Donna

Next

Return to Guitar Building and Mods