Weak tone in 2nd position on a jerrycaster

Weak tone in 2nd position on a jerrycaster

Postby TeeJay » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:33 am

I completed a Jerrycaster using Waldo's Tiger diagram and I am getting a weak nasally tone in the 2nd switch position. The only change I made from the diagram was the sds-1 was to tall to fit in the shallow route so I used a Fralin Blues Special neck. I also put a .047 cap between the Fralin and the modpot. The mid and bridge pups are super distortions. All other positions sound as they should and the Fralin neck pups sound good in the 1st postion. Not as high output as the sds-1 but why would it turn to crap in the 2nd position?
TeeJay
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Re: Weak tone in 2nd position on a jerrycaster

Postby waldo041 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:37 am

TeeJay wrote:I completed a Jerrycaster using Waldo's Tiger diagram and I am getting a weak nasally tone in the 2nd switch position. The only change I made from the diagram was the sds-1 was to tall to fit in the shallow route so I used a Fralin Blues Special neck. I also put a .047 cap between the Fralin and the modpot. The mid and bridge pups are super distortions. All other positions sound as they should and the Fralin neck pups sound good in the 1st postion. Not as high output as the sds-1 but why would it turn to crap in the 2nd position?

could be because it is weaker and will alter the response when placed in parallel with another pickup. could also be a miswiring that is leading to an out of phase situation.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby TeeJay » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:09 am

Thanks Waldo. I will get back in there. Being a complete idiot at electronics (among many other things) I fully expected the guitar to blow up when I plugged it in. The fact that it had output of any kind is amazing.
TeeJay
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby TI4-1009 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:37 am

Nasally and weak sure sound like classic out of phase symptoms.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby TeeJay » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:49 am

What could I have done to make it out of phase?
TeeJay
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby mkaufman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:10 pm

Reversed the hot & ground wires.

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman

Postby waldo041 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:27 pm

I absolutely agree, it sounds like a classic out of phase scenario, but I question the use of a weaker single coil pickup in the neck. Add that weak output in with the distance from the middle pickup, along with placing the 2 pickups in parallel and you are set up for a weak probably thin output. Think about a humbucker in parallel, same output for both single coils, but wired in parallel from each other and their output is weaker then in their classic series wiring. Now take those same 2 single coils from the same humbucker, wired in parallel and separate them, the result will be a weaker and thinner output then the humbucker you started with. The in-between positions will already be the weakest, adding in a weaker neck only makes things worse. But I agree, it could just be a classic out of phase situation.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby TeeJay » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:47 pm

I put the white lead on the switch and the black to ground. Here is a YT clip but the audio is crappy and the tone difference didn't really come through. I think Waldo is on to something with the weaker pickup farther away in the stock fender route location. If I were to swap the fralin for a sds-1 would the thick magnet on the sds-1 bottoming out on the shallow route and touching the cavity shielding cause an issue?

http://youtu.be/gGt1rYyMpAE
TeeJay
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby tatittle » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:08 pm

My SDS-1's were touching the shielding when I first installed them. The only reason I noticed was I was testing around for connectivity with a multimeter and found it between the poles on the pup's and output ground etc. It didnt seem to have any affect on tone, certainly wasnt shorting them out. I just put some tape over the bottom of the pups and the connectivity is gone. I am about to pull at least 2 of the 3 and replace them, they are just too gnarly for me through my clean amps.

As for the thin 2 position, phase is just which lead you put to ground and which one to the switch. Different manufacturers wind their pickups with different colors/direction (Fender and SD e.g. Merely reversing the wires solves this. There is a subtle way to test it before hand with an analog multimeter I think, but trial and error is what everyone usually does.

Reversed poles would mean the magnet needs to be flipped over...there is a way to do this by running it through a rig with another magnet in a vice, but I forget the specifics. I may be confusing some of the terms with their proper explanation though :)
tatittle
Jerry
Jerry

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Return to Jerry Tone