Interesting Mcintosh Observation - Circa 82

Interesting Mcintosh Observation - Circa 82

Postby waldo041 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:00 am

Somewhere between these songs Big Steve lugged out and inserted an Mc2500. It will be cool to see what went down once the whole video is available.

Mc2300 - Budman

Mc2300 - Budman + Mc2500

~waldo
Last edited by waldo041 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Re: Interesting Mcintosh Observation - Circa 83

Postby caspersvapors » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:14 am

that is one hot China > Rider transition
caspersvapors

Re: Interesting Mcintosh Observation - Circa 83

Postby caspersvapors » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:19 am

btw turns out this show is actually 9/5/82

was thinking Jerry seemed pretty sprightly for 83
caspersvapors

Re: Interesting Mcintosh Observation - Circa 82

Postby caspersvapors » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:26 am

wow this show is pretty cool actually. Dead playing a really energetic set with not a lot of super long exploratory jams, just really tight, focused performances. Im assuming they had to tailor their set to make it fit more within the confines of a festival experience.

what a kickass show this wouldve been

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Festiva ... eptember_5
caspersvapors

Postby softmachine72 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:09 pm

Nice find Waldo. I do not hear anything going wrong with Jer's rig to warrant the exchange. It never ceases to amaze me how all these cool vids. keep surfacing.
softmachine72
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby waldo041 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:08 pm

A few songs are in between PITB & China Cat, so the addition happens somewhere in there.

09-05-82 Glen Helen Regional Park, Devore, Ca. (Sun) 1: Playin> Shakedown> Minglewood, Samson, China Cat> I Know You Rider 2: Sugaree> Woman Smarter, Truckin> Drumz> NFA> Black Peter> Sugar Magnolia E1: U. S. Blues E2: Satisfaction

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby playingdead » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:07 pm

This is just a wild-ass guess, but if you listen to the first video -- Playing in the Band -- there are some pretty significant Fender reverb crashes happening. I wonder if they pulled that second power amp out to create a more weighty and stable base to rest the Twin heads on to mitigate that. You can see a lot of movement back behind the amps when the crashes occur.
playingdead

Postby playingdead » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:27 pm

Long pause sans Garcia after Minglewood on the soundboard ... with some extra reverb crashes. Weir makes a comment about "amplifiers dropping off like flies out here in the heat." The piano was missing for a bit. But Garcia's guitar also cuts out after the first solo in Minglewood.

http://archive.org/details/gd1982-09-05 ... 746.flac16
playingdead

Postby tapestry » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:04 pm

Yep you can hear Garcia say "I gotta change amplifiers" just before a reverb rash and bobby's comment...crispy board!!!
tapestry
Bobby
Bobby

Postby waldo041 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:18 am

All photo evidence I see points to this date, and it's malfunction of Budman, as the day and reason that he began to use the Mc2500. Starting with this event, it was used up until around the middle to fall of 83 when another Mc2300 with a steal your face is seen as well as Budmans return. The thought was that maybe he had switched amps to get more power. Truth is he either blew up the output transistors on one side of Budman after the first solo of Minglewood, OR the Thermal Cutout switches cut the power to the amp until it cooled down. Excessive heat can cause both scenarios. Doesn't help that Budman man is a first year production Mc2300(1Y) that has fans that blow the air into the amp instead of out of the amp like later runs. Either way, this is the reason why we see the brief almost yearlong appearance of the Mc2500.

May not be interesting info for all, but for a GD Gearhead Geek like me, it is pretty cool. :cool:

~waldo
waldo041

Postby tatittle » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:39 am

Interesting bass Phil has too. Don't think Ive seen that basic Fender platform in his hands ever actually.
Gibsons before the boutiques.
Gosh every time I think I am getting some good Jerry chops he hits me with his liveliness.! he is always a split second ahead of the game in 1982 particularly LOL.
Last edited by tatittle on Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
tatittle
Bear
Bear

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby lunasparks » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:53 am

So what confuses me is what do the reverb crashes have to do with the switch of power amp? This is an interesting observation, just trying to better understand what sense to make of it? If you just needed extra stability to dampen reverb crashes, no need to switch from Budman. Just a few loose ends....
lunasparks
Billy
Billy

Postby tatittle » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:44 pm

If this was the last show for Budman it seems unlikely that the reverb crashes (if caused by mere shaking of the tank) have much to do with its disappearance to my modest technical mind. The smashing around onstage could help a weak joint or even weak component over the edge I guess though; and the heat was well addressed in post above.

For all the grass roots innovation and competence among techs serving the Dead, speedy completion of repairs etc. does not seem to be a high priority (from what Ive seen anyway) once things were formally brought into the shop (though onsite is a different story). The more experience I gain in various disciplines the more I am beginning to believe taking the time and care to do things "just exactly perfect" is more important to quality than the mere booksmarts/knowledge (beyond fundamentals) of the artisan. That attn. to detail paired with extensive knowledge/experience is what seperates the mere "professional" from the great craftsmen I guess. I took off on this tangent considering the length of the absence of a 2300; perhaps quite sometime accrued thinking Budman would be ready in a week or so before he looked into replacing it.

The Dead were in a different league even back in those days when it seemed more common to me, but how many successful artists spend so much time and money experimenting and investing in the tools and toys of their trade while foregoing MCHammer mansions and $75,000. watches these days? Just think it was just 4 years between the breakthrough of the Beatles to Jimi Hendrix. Quite an evolution, particularly of the audience. The sense of adventure that had been a hallmark of the American experience since its inception perhaps was in its apex in that era. Sad, but it seems to have almost died out, and shockingly quick, over the last 20 years (outside of digital gadget land that is). Can I ever write a short post? lol
tatittle
Bear
Bear

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby Smolder » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:09 pm

nice post tatitle...

I remember being in the dead cpu, or whatever they called it - and reading an article about the future of sound and recording and being able to put hours of music on cartridge smaller that a pack of cigarettes. I regret never having seen the wall of sound in person.
Smolder

Return to Jerry Tone