Stratoblaster on CL (gotta find the buzz now):

Stratoblaster on CL (gotta find the buzz now):

Postby Pete B. » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:47 pm

There is an original 70's Alembic Stratoblaster for sale on my local Craigslist for $60.
The guy says that when his tech took it out of his Strat he cut the 9v battery wire off (a radio shack fix).
I wasn't even thinking of getting one until I saw the ad.
Should I grab it, or is it shot due to age?
I see new ones for $95 on Alembics site.
Is this just a clean boost, or some other mojo?
Last edited by Pete B. on Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Pete B.
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1771
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:59 am
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Stratoblaster on CL:

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:26 am

It's a clean boost. I'm not sure if the age of the components matters, as long as it was kept dry and it functions. I have one in a strat and love it.

There is a lot more great info here: viewtopic.php?t=4942
Image
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
User avatar
hippieguy1954
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:29 pm
Location: Upstate, NY

Re: Stratoblaster on CL:

Postby Pete B. » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:23 am

Now the guy says the date on the circuit board is 1990 (his ad says Vintage Original 70's).
I'm gonna see it in person on Wed.
Should be... interesting???... He said he took it out of a '68 Strat the he sold to Jackson Bowne.
User avatar
Pete B.
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1771
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:59 am
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Stratoblaster on CL:

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:23 am

Pete B. wrote:Now the guy says the date on the circuit board is 1990 (his ad says Vintage Original 70's).
I'm gonna see it in person on Wed.
Should be... interesting???... He said he took it out of a '68 Strat the he sold to Jackson Bowne.


Slightly convoluted? He might mean the original circuit from the 70's? But, they (Alembic) still use the original circuit. So does GGG. Good luck!
Image
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
User avatar
hippieguy1954
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:29 pm
Location: Upstate, NY

Re: Stratoblaster on CL:

Postby waldo041 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:35 am

hippieguy1954 wrote:
Pete B. wrote:Now the guy says the date on the circuit board is 1990 (his ad says Vintage Original 70's).
I'm gonna see it in person on Wed.
Should be... interesting???... He said he took it out of a '68 Strat the he sold to Jackson Bowne.


Slightly convoluted? He might mean the original circuit from the 70's? But, they (Alembic) still use the original circuit. So does GGG. Good luck!


No, GGG has altered the circuit. That said, so has Alembic, their version today is not "identical" to the vintage versions from a component point of view.

~waldo
User avatar
waldo041
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2741
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 10:58 am
Location: Indiana

Re: Stratoblaster on CL:

Postby Pete B. » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:38 am

He said it was black and says Alembic on it.
I see one on Google search that looks like that:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/Alemb ... atoblaster
Image
User avatar
Pete B.
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1771
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:59 am
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Stratoblaster on CL:

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:50 am

waldo041 wrote:
hippieguy1954 wrote:
Pete B. wrote:Now the guy says the date on the circuit board is 1990 (his ad says Vintage Original 70's).
I'm gonna see it in person on Wed.
Should be... interesting???... He said he took it out of a '68 Strat the he sold to Jackson Bowne.


Slightly convoluted? He might mean the original circuit from the 70's? But, they (Alembic) still use the original circuit. So does GGG. Good luck!


No, GGG has altered the circuit. That said, so has Alembic, their version today is not "identical" to the vintage versions from a component point of view.

~waldo


You are correct, it is not identical, but very close and based on what it was originally intended for. I don't think you can hear any difference. Can you?
Image
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
User avatar
hippieguy1954
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:29 pm
Location: Upstate, NY

Re: Stratoblaster on CL:

Postby waldo041 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:00 pm

All of these are with the potentiometer full-on to show the transistors different characteristics. The differences lie mostly in the different types of transistors used, but dipped tantalum caps will be more crispy then the mil-spec version the vintage Alembic version uses. Both the GGG version and latest Alembic blaster use the dipped tants. There are a couple other small differences with GGG circuit that make some sonic differences, but these photos should show you the differences that will reflect the differences you would hear between them. Top trace is the input, Bottom is the output.

GGG - 2n5457
Image

GGG - J201
Image

Vintage Alembic
Image

~waldo
Last edited by waldo041 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
waldo041
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2741
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 10:58 am
Location: Indiana

Re: Stratoblaster on CL:

Postby hippieguy1954 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:03 am

I see. Very cool! Thanks :smile:
Image
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
User avatar
hippieguy1954
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:29 pm
Location: Upstate, NY

Re: Stratoblaster on CL:

Postby mgbills » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:18 pm

Man! I gotta get me an oscilloscope!

I don't know one thing about actually using it, but when dudes see it in my shop...they'll be like "Dude. He's cool. He's got an oscilloscope." Ooooo....better yet...I'll pay Waldo to fly out and set it up with some wave thingies on it. That way I can flip it on at parties, and my cool points will skyrocket. It'll help convince people I'm smart. :lol:

Seriously. I steal secrets from my control/automation electrician. I'll get him to give me the low-voltage short course.

That is some cool stuff. If you think you can hear a difference, and you can measure the difference it becomes reality.

Sweet.
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
User avatar
mgbills
Senior Member
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:04 pm
Location: The Northwest Corner

Re: Stratoblaster on CL:

Postby Pete B. » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:49 am

'Picked up the Stratoblaster for $50.
I hope to have time to fire it up today.
'Need to grab a 9V adapter from Radio Shack.
I was thinking I would put it in a small project box so I can use it with multiple instruments.
I want to try it with Pedal Steel.
User avatar
Pete B.
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1771
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:59 am
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Stratoblaster on CL:

Postby zambiland » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:24 pm

Pete B. wrote:'Picked up the Stratoblaster for $50.
I hope to have time to fire it up today.
'Need to grab a 9V adapter from Radio Shack.
I was thinking I would put it in a small project box so I can use it with multiple instruments.
I want to try it with Pedal Steel.


Nice! That's a good price. I would want it just for the plate that says Alembic, so if you decide to dismount the circuit board, let me know! I'll help recoup your expense.
zambiland
Magic Hand
Magic Hand
 
Posts: 498
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:13 pm
Location: Boulder CO

Re: Stratoblaster on CL:

Postby Pete B. » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:30 pm

I just hooked it up using alligator cords, and it works, but there is a ground buzz in the loop somewhere.
I think it is set at wide open. There is a huge boost when I throw the switch.

What am I missing?...
I am coming out of the guitar with a standard cord, then jumpering the sleeve and tip to the black and white wires respectively.
I am jumpering the Neg battery terminal to the black wires, and the Pos terminal to the red wire.
Gotta Buzz.
User avatar
Pete B.
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1771
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:59 am
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Stratoblaster on CL:

Postby zambiland » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:27 pm

Pete B. wrote:I just hooked it up using alligator cords, and it works, but there is a ground buzz in the loop somewhere.
I think it is set at wide open. There is a huge boost when I throw the switch.

What am I missing?...
I am coming out of the guitar with a standard cord, then jumpering the sleeve and tip to the black and white wires respectively.
I am jumpering the Neg battery terminal to the black wires, and the Pos terminal to the red wire.
Gotta Buzz.


If you have it just hanging out in space, I'm not surprised there's a buzz. You need to make sure it's shielded, along with the wires going to and from.

There is a huge boost if it's set all the way to the highest gain. There should be a trim pot in there where you can back it off if you want less boost.
zambiland
Magic Hand
Magic Hand
 
Posts: 498
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:13 pm
Location: Boulder CO


Return to Jerry Tone

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests