Tone Knob

Tone Knob

Postby RiseandFall » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:08 am

I have a pretty stupid question about the guitar tone knob that I'm fairly certain I already know the answer to.
Gear is:
Dimarzio SD's > SMS (JG mod) > MC50 > K120's.

The area of the sweet JGlike tone resides in an exceedingly narrow window on the tone knob, maybe dialed in a fifth of the way from tone totally off. A microscopic amount below the sweet spot is total mud with zero highs, and a microscopic amount above the sweet spot is saturated with unimaginably bright treble. But that tiny sweet spot does the trick. But the sweet spot window is maybe 2% of the total span of the tone knob.
Is this common? I sort of almost can't imagine that it is not.
Did Jerry operate within this tiny window? Do you?

On a totally unrelated matter, does anyone else have the experience of driving down the road listening to a show (at volume), and confuse Bob's guitar with their cell phone? Sometimes Bob will play a chord and i look at my phone to see if it is ringing. Sometimes my phone rings and I think it is Bobby. Perhaps I am losing my mind....a distinct possibility....
RiseandFall
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Re: Tone Knob

Postby TI4-1009 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:29 am

RiseandFall wrote: Sometimes my phone rings and I think it is Bobby.

Bobby has your phone number??! :shock:

Ba da bump.

What kind of guitar? Pots linear or audio?
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:33 am

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby ccw3432 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:40 am

I just wired up my Aria Pro II and that is consistent with my findings. 1 to 3 = no treble, 4 to 10 = full treble with a tiny area with sweep. I used 500k linear pots and .022 tone caps. This was my first experience with linear tone pots. I'm going to play with it for a while, but my initial impression is that I need a longer sweep.
ccw3432
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:12 pm

I feel like the usable range is a bit wider than that, maybe 10-15%, but yes, right around the 2-3 range.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby waldo041 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:09 pm

When you watch the video of him playing you do not see him adjusting his tone control like he does his volume control. He stated the tone control was either on or off. He stated he used that no treble side with his distortion as another color on his palette. He stated that the treble was recreated with the distortion. When he did not use that side, he used the other side. ON or OFF, pretty much exactly like what he himself stated. can it have a better knee, or altered to work better? it sure can, but that is not how he used it.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Return to Jerry Tone