Wolf 2.0 Pickup question Revisited

Re: Wolf 2.0 Pickup question Revisited

Postby James-T » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:18 pm

Pretty cryptic. One thing for sure, they don't sound like 70's vintage Strat pups on the early 78 recordings. A world away from Jerry's 74 tone. Much more dynamic and fatter to my ears.

Peace

James
James-T
Phil
Phil

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:56 pm

cmc64 wrote: If my timeline if correct, Irwin had the Wolf in July of 1978 to install the Dualsounds, SDS-1 and associated electronics. I believe Jerry used a custom Ibanez Musician during this time, as he did in 1979 with Reconstruction. Do I have this right?

Actually June was the month Wolf was out of action and he had it back for July 1st show.

But my reason for posting is...what's this about JG playing the Ibanez in 1979 with Reconstruction?
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby cmc64 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:27 pm

tigerstrat wrote:
cmc64 wrote: If my timeline if correct, Irwin had the Wolf in July of 1978 to install the Dualsounds, SDS-1 and associated electronics. I believe Jerry used a custom Ibanez Musician during this time, as he did in 1979 with Reconstruction. Do I have this right?

Actually June was the month Wolf was out of action and he had it back for July 1st show.

But my reason for posting is...what's this about JG playing the Ibanez in 1979 with Reconstruction?

Yes you are correct, it was June of 1978. My mistake.

I have a pic around somewhere that sboes Jerry playing a Musician and the caption states, "Reconstruction, 1979". I will try to find it but I haven't seen it in ages. For some reason I think I saw it in a book so I will begin my search and report back with what I find.
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Postby cmc64 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:47 am

Found it!

Reconstruction - Keystone 1979 - pic courtesy of dozin.com

cmc64
Billy
Billy

Postby James-T » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:32 am

Waldo was pretty cryptic, but from what I can tell in this thread he’s hedging his bets on those Wolf 2.0 single coils being Bill Lawrence pick-ups. Read below at the bottom of this post:

From listening to the Portland Garcia interview I don’t think Garcia had much to say about what went into Wolf 2.0 – except it wouldn’t be Alembic. He seemed to have a beef with them, or at least I’m sure Irwin did, which probably translated over into Garcia’s thinking.

I’m guessing that Irwin simply dropped in some aftermarket single coils unless he had some sort of connection with Lawrence who lived 3,000 miles away in NYC. I’d place my bets on SD’s or Dimarzio’s, whatever they offered in 77 as an aftermarket pickup for a single coil slot but who really knows!

I was listening to Egypt shows and Garcia’s tone with the Dual Sound’s is pretty darn close to his tone earlier in the year with the single coils. Breaking a Dual Sound in half is probably an option.

I spoke with Dimarzio today and asked them what would most closely resemble a Dual Sound in a single coli pick-up. I didn’t realize it but they offer a Super Distortion S which is splittable (and most closely resembles the Dual Sound, but fits into a single coil slot). The original Dual Sound was designed as a splittable Super Distortion.

Does anyone have any experience with the Super Distortion S, and also the Chopper or the Pro Track, which are all designed to work together? They seem like logical choices to capture that Wolf 2.0 tone in a Strat.

I don’t think those DAllen’s are the right choice. If they get you the Alligator tone (which makes sense since they are designed to sound vintage) they probably will not get you anywhere close to the more modern Wolf tone – post 74 and post fender pick-ups. Just my thoughts. I’m guessing they would nail the Winterland 74 tone.

Peace

James :smile:

From the net:
In the mid-'60s, Bill, with two partners, started a company in Germany, Lawrence Electro Sounds, offering his designs "Lawrence True-Sound Pickups" to the German guitar manufacturers. Bill came to America in the late '60s, quickly becoming established in the thriving music scene of New York's Greenwich Village. His innovative Lawrence Audio electric piano became a favorite of artists ranging from Stevie Wonder to Miles Davis. He designed pickups for MicroFrets, and he teamed up with fellow electric guitar wizard Dan Armstrong on several projects, eventually taking over Dan's custom shop when Dan moved to England -- a true mecca for New York's most demanding players. It was there that Bill continued his work of rebuilding pickups to eliminate their internal flaws, flaws he'd discovered over many years as a player striving to improve his own guitars. He also developed new pickups for retrofitting into existing guitars, thus essentially inventing the aftermarket replacement guitar pickup. Among Bill's apprentices in those days were Dan Armstrong's teenaged son, Kent, and a local kid named Larry DiMarzio.
James-T
Phil
Phil

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:09 pm

cmc64 wrote:Found it!

Reconstruction - Keystone 1979 - pic courtesy of dozin.com

oh yeah, I remember finding the page where this was originally posted by the photog, several years back. I suspected at the time (and still do) that he had simply gotten the year wrong in his recollection. I suppose Chris was just taking the guy at his word when he reposted it on his site.

But think of how easy it would be to attend and photograph a dozen or so Keystone shows over the course of a few (pretty uh, hazy) years and forget exactly which show a particular photo came from... maybe that's why he only posted the year, as a best guess? Maybe that makes me a hopeless cynic, and maybe I am dead wrong, but... the only pic of Jerry with the Ibby that has a *really* confirmed dd/mm/yyyy date is the one from 06/25/1978 Autzen Stadium, therefore my own guess is that this is from one of the four June '78 JGB shows that took place at the two Keystones... go listen to 6/18/78- the Let Me Roll It is pure heaven.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby cmc64 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:11 pm

James T, I am typing from.my phone right now so. I will be back to revisit this later but I think you are spot on about the "Single coil" DualSounds. I am.going to have Scott Walker build a pair for me and give them a go. More to follow.
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Postby waldo041 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:57 pm

James-T wrote:Waldo was pretty cryptic, but from what I can tell in this thread he’s hedging his bets on those Wolf 2.0 single coils being Bill Lawrence pick-ups. Read below at the bottom of this post:

From listening to the Portland Garcia interview I don’t think Garcia had much to say about what went into Wolf 2.0 – except it wouldn’t be Alembic. He seemed to have a beef with them, or at least I’m sure Irwin did, which probably translated over into Garcia’s thinking.

I’m guessing that Irwin simply dropped in some aftermarket single coils unless he had some sort of connection with Lawrence who lived 3,000 miles away in NYC. I’d place my bets on SD’s or Dimarzio’s, whatever they offered in 77 as an aftermarket pickup for a single coil slot but who really knows!

I was listening to Egypt shows and Garcia’s tone with the Dual Sound’s is pretty darn close to his tone earlier in the year with the single coils. Breaking a Dual Sound in half is probably an option.

I spoke with Dimarzio today and asked them what would most closely resemble a Dual Sound in a single coli pick-up. I didn’t realize it but they offer a Super Distortion S which is splittable (and most closely resembles the Dual Sound, but fits into a single coil slot). The original Dual Sound was designed as a splittable Super Distortion.

Does anyone have any experience with the Super Distortion S, and also the Chopper or the Pro Track, which are all designed to work together? They seem like logical choices to capture that Wolf 2.0 tone in a Strat.

I don’t think those DAllen’s are the right choice. If they get you the Alligator tone (which makes sense since they are designed to sound vintage) they probably will not get you anywhere close to the more modern Wolf tone – post 74 and post fender pick-ups. Just my thoughts. I’m guessing they would nail the Winterland 74 tone.

Peace

From the net:
In the mid-'60s, Bill, with two partners, started a company in Germany, Lawrence Electro Sounds, offering his designs "Lawrence True-Sound Pickups" to the German guitar manufacturers. Bill came to America in the late '60s, quickly becoming established in the thriving music scene of New York's Greenwich Village. His innovative Lawrence Audio electric piano became a favorite of artists ranging from Stevie Wonder to Miles Davis. He designed pickups for MicroFrets, and he teamed up with fellow electric guitar wizard Dan Armstrong on several projects, eventually taking over Dan's custom shop when Dan moved to England -- a true mecca for New York's most demanding players. It was there that Bill continued his work of rebuilding pickups to eliminate their internal flaws, flaws he'd discovered over many years as a player striving to improve his own guitars. He also developed new pickups for retrofitting into existing guitars, thus essentially inventing the aftermarket replacement guitar pickup. Among Bill's apprentices in those days were Dan Armstrong's teenaged son, Kent, and a local kid named Larry DiMarzio.

The GD never made it out to NY? Don't be naïve enough to believe that only Irwin wired Jerry's guitars, it simply is not true. In fact, they usually got ripped apart soon after leaving his shop. I tried to be cryptic because I have no definitive proof that the pickups in question were actually Bill Lawrence, BUT have researched this stuff enough to come up with some reasoning of which I was only trying to share and not get into a debate about. But since you questioned my reasoning, I will let you know my thinking.

1.) Aftermarket Pickups from 77 - early 78 - what and who are they? Lawrence, Dimarzio who else? Each have a couple, all are obsolete.
a.) In that interview he clearly states that the pickups were made by some guy he don't remember the name of.

2.) Dimarzio does not remember nor do they state any affiliation with Jerry and his use of their pickups, I am pretty sure they stated that to you in your talk to them. But if you talk to Bill he knows about Jerry and his guitars, but can't pinpoint if these are his. On the cover of the 1981 Bam Magazine Wolf sports a Bill Lawrence Blade in the neck position. So it stands to reason he knew about Bill and his pickups.

3.) Looking at the pickups there is a distinct attribute that I see that differs from say a fender or a vintage Dimarzio pickup. These pickups in Wolf seem to be uniform across all six pole pieces. Neither a Fender or vintage Dimarzio single coil have that, they have raised G poles. Bill Lawrence pickups do not have that raised G. Another Lawrence factor could be the pole spacing, but have no picture(s) yet that may point to how Bill spaced his pickups.

Lastly, if you feel that the dual sound in single coil is the tone you are after you could split them like you are going to do. But you could also measure the inductance, resistance, gauge the wire and figure out the magnet type and find which single coil matches those specs. If you find a vintage Dimarzio or Lawrence that matches those specs.

Dual Sounds are the EXACT same pickup as Super Distortions. Super Distortions were 2 conductor while Dual Sounds were originally 3 conductor, both are now 4 conductor. A well known fact amongst us gearheads for many years now.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby cmc64 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:39 pm

waldo041 wrote:
James-T wrote:Waldo was pretty cryptic, but from what I can tell in this thread he’s hedging his bets on those Wolf 2.0 single coils being Bill Lawrence pick-ups. Read below at the bottom of this post:

Peace

From the net:

The GD never made it out to NY? Don't be naïve enough to believe that only Irwin wired Jerry's guitars, it simply is not true. In fact, they usually got ripped apart soon after leaving his shop. I tried to be cryptic because I have no definitive proof that the pickups in question were actually Bill Lawrence, BUT have researched this stuff enough to come up with some reasoning of which I was only trying to share and not get into a debate about. But since you questioned my reasoning, I will let you know my thinking.

1.) Aftermarket Pickups from 77 - early 78 - what and who are they? Lawrence, Dimarzio who else? Each have a couple, all are obsolete.
a.) In that interview he clearly states that the pickups were made by some guy he don't remember the name of.

2.) Dimarzio does not remember nor do they state any affiliation with Jerry and his use of their pickups, I am pretty sure they stated that to you in your talk to them. But if you talk to Bill he knows about Jerry and his guitars, but can't pinpoint if these are his. On the cover of the 1981 Bam Magazine Wolf sports a Bill Lawrence Blade in the neck position. So it stands to reason he knew about Bill and his pickups.

3.) Looking at the pickups there is a distinct attribute that I see that differs from say a fender or a vintage Dimarzio pickup. These pickups in Wolf seem to be uniform across all six pole pieces. Neither a Fender or vintage Dimarzio single coil have that, they have raised G poles. Bill Lawrence pickups do not have that raised G. Another Lawrence factor could be the pole spacing, but have no picture(s) yet that may point to how Bill spaced his pickups.

Lastly, if you feel that the dual sound in single coil is the tone you are after you could split them like you are going to do. But you could also measure the inductance, resistance, gauge the wire and figure out the magnet type and find which single coil matches those specs. If you find a vintage Dimarzio or Lawrence that matches those specs.

Dual Sounds are the EXACT same pickup as Super Distortions. Super Distortions were 2 conductor while Dual Sounds were originally 3 conductor, both are now 4 conductor. A well known fact amongst us gearheads for many years now.

~waldo

Waldo, thanks for the info on the height of the pole pieces and the suggestion on figuring out magnet type, measuring inductance and so forth. It made me really think about what to go after in an attempt to nail this down and what is most important about the function of a pickup and the sound it generates. Very much appreciated!!

Bill and Becky were as helpful as could be, and some of the nicest people to be able to speak with about this type of inquiry. Their overall attitude is enough in itself to try out some of WildeBill's pup's - the Keystones get rave reviews and $84 for a set just makes it a no brainer. The man knows his stuff!!

Never got to speak with Larry - I called and the DiMarzio rep I got hung up on me. No worries there - I am sure they get many people calling with all sorts of nutty questions.

I know that the S.D.'s and DualSounds are the same - I interchange the two names depending on my mood. I guess I just think that the name "DualSound" has a nicer ring to it. :smile:

Anyway, thanks for your help in this bit of research Mike. Your info has been invaluable, as always. :thumbs up: :-)

Cheers,

Kyle
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Postby James-T » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:53 pm

sorry...bump!
Last edited by James-T on Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James-T
Phil
Phil

Postby James-T » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:54 pm

Hey Mike,

Thanks for all the good information. So I was correct that you were hedging your bets on custom pickups by Bill Lawrence - that was just my guess. I wasn’t really questioning your reasoning, only coaxing it out of you! I forgot that Garcia mentioned that his newly refurbished Wolf pickups had been wound by “some guy”. Also that internet write up on Bill did mention that he had a name for himself in the local NYC music scene hand winding pick-ups for “famous musicians” so I see the logic on speculating that Ramrod or someone else sought him out during one of the many NYC runs in 76/77, and installed them or delivered them back to Irwin for installation, but who really knows? From that Garcia interview it certainly seems that the first set of pick-ups was not a stock set from Dimarzio or SD, which as far as I can know were the only two after market providers, but I think I was 14 in 1976 and not really in tune with who made what for who. It seems Bill Lawrence was already at Gibson by 73/74, but correct me if I’m wrong. Here is an interview with him where he describes those years:

http://www.billlawrence.com/Pages/BL_Gibsonarticle.htm

The problems started many years earlier, around 1973/74. Gibson was looked at as a money-making project. The owners of that time were in the beer business, the spirit that is so important in instrument making was lacking. I often had the feeling that the company was being degraded into a furniture factory. Instead of making the instruments by hand in a first-class way, they looked for the fault in the models themselves. They experimented on the market with new instruments that were not well thought out or fully worked out. The owners understood absolutely nothing about the guitar business. They hired top managers who had been educated at first-class universities, but who had a flaw: For them, instrument making was a book with seven seals. They came to me with things that I knew right from the very beginning would not work. If I made my objections known, they said I just didn't know anything at all about business. That fact that that really bothered me is the reason I left Gibson, but in my subconscious I had the feeling that someone would come along who would bring the business up again, and I already had a plan firmly in mind about how that could be done! But before that came to pass, the company was turned over to new people who were not even worth talking about. This involved a consortium of banks or something, to this day we don't know anything more about it. Then Gibson/Norlin was really golden by comparison, because then you could still talk to real people, be a real person. Truly, all the bankers could see was a killing to be made. Nothing was repaired, all of the machines fell apart. It was a crying shame.

It’s also possible that “a” version of the Wolf 2.0 had a set of SDS-1’s like shown in this 1978 Dimarzio catalogue image. - http://vintage.catalogs.free.fr/dimarzio001/00.htm - The poles are adjustable and uniform. It’s also possible that the Wolf 2.0 had a variety of pick-ups tested before Garcia settled in with the Dual Sound/ SDS-1 combo later in 78. After all Irwin is quoted as saying (and mentions he’s the one changing out the electronics at this stage and changing them out for new ones – sort of indicating everthing was still somewhat off the shelf):

I configured the guitar with a plate system for mounting pickups. This allowed for a variety of pickup choices. It was originally set up with three Fender Stratocaster pickups. I also provided Jerry with a second pickup plate for Humbuckers (hum-canceling dual-coil pickups). The 70's were a time of evolution in guitar pickup design, so when Jerry got a new guitar, there was usually a period of experimentation. Then, from time to time Jerry would try new pickups, but once he found what he liked, he usually stuck with it. Sometimes Jerry felt that an old set of pickups. would get "tired", so I'd change them out for new ones.

What’s plausible is that Garcia got burnt out on the thin sound of the Strat pups from playing them all through 73 and 74, liked the beefier sound of the his Travis Bean soap bar pick-ups and when he went back to the Wolf asked Irwin or Ramrod or someone else for a hotter pick-up, which could have been a set of SDS-1’s or possibly a prescribed custom wound set from Bill Lawrence - or another electronics guy for that matter. It’s certainly speculative, but what isn’t is the tone of Wolf 2.0 or should I say tones – because the tone seems to evolve throughout late 77 to spring 78. Late 77 sounds more like the Travis Bean sound and spring 78 sounds less gritty – at least to my ears.

From Dimarzio’s website:
It might look like a Strat® guitar pickup, but the SDS-1™ adds punch, gain, and warmth reminiscent of the best old soapbar pickups. The adjustable pole pieces don't pull as hard as regular rod magnets, so you can get the pickup closer to the strings for stronger output. The highs are less exaggerated and the bottom is deeper than most singles for a rounder, darker tone. If your guitar's bridge position sound is too edgy, without the push needed to drive your amp, remedy the situation with an SDS-1™. Add a pair of True Velvet™ pickups for sparkle, or a True Velvet™ in the neck and an FS-1™ in the middle for balanced tone choices.

Has anyone tried a set of SDS-1’s? I see Moriarty offers them in his Wolf tribute.

http://moriartyguitars.com/wolf-series/barebones-wolf/

Mike do you have any experience with the Super Distortion S, and if so (or even without) can you offer an opinion on them? What’s interesting is they look to be based on Bill’s ground breaking Blade design, but that’s way over my head as well. And speaking of Bill, what’s up with this guy called EZ Wajcman who appears to own Bill’s name in trademark?

http://www.billlawrenceusa.com/swampkaster/history.htm

Here is the Dimarzio write up on the Super Distortion S or SDS (common theme here) – what sounds cool is that you can get a variety of sounds by being able to coil tap them and without having to route out your axe for a dual sound!

Super Distortion® S
DP218

The Super Distortion® S offers the performance of the famous Super Distortion® in a humbucking Strat® bridge direct replacement-size pickup. We've built in the same blend of power and tone that made the original Super Distortion® the worldwide standard for high-output humbuckers. We also tweaked the sound to take into account the fact that the Super Distortion® S will be installed in the classic slanted bridge position. The new model has 4-conductor wiring for parallel humbucking and split-coil modes, and makes a great bridge position combination with the Pro Track™, The Chopper™, and Fast Track 1™.

Peace,

James-T
Phil
Phil

Postby waldo041 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:48 am

The SDS-1's have a distinct allen head adjustable pole piece that the Jerry single coil pickups in late 77-early 78 did not have. The SDS-1's have been tried but do not get that tone. They are good pickups, but not what you are after. The SD-S's you are referring to are not what you are after either, they are voiced to sound similar to a Dual sound/Super Distortion HUMBUCKER. And while Jerry did use that pickup, the majority of his tones are coming from those split in single coil. The SD-s will lose a good amount of volume and punch if wired in Single coil as you are halving the winding of a single coil pickup versus splitting an entire single coil pickup from a humbucker. Your best option is to wire it in Parallel, but again it is voiced for something else.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby James-T » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:21 pm

Waldo wrote:
– Good advice!

Thanks Waldo, once again your knowledge shines through and is really appreciated! In fact the rep at Dimarzio was already steering me away from the SDS-1, but towards the SD-s. He felt the SD-s would get you closer to the split Dual Sound. On a second call to Dimarzio this morning with what you've shared here the rep pitched the BC-2. Its the most powerful and warmest rail design they have, although the specs look just like the SD-s. This rep thought the SDS-1 would be more powerful than a Dual Sound in single coil mode.

I think you are right on the money on your assessment and from reading reviews of the SD-s, the big complaint is that they don’t match the power of the Dual Sound in humbucker mode (probably coming from classic rock the folks), so it goes to reason in split coli mode they will be off as well, which is what you are saying coming at it from a player’s perspective rather than the technical side.

If one was to split a Dual sound or a Supper II for that matter in half, would they become pretty noisy as a half unit? One of the things the rep said is that the SDS-1 ha s a bit of noise and the advantage of the SD-s is the rail design which makes them quiet. If a split Dual Sound would be no noisier than a SDS-1, I think that’s the easiest most failsafe route to go for sure (without dropping a ton of money on trial and error - a route many have gone - myself included!)

Peace,

James-T
Phil
Phil

Postby waldo041 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:18 am

Single coils are naturally more noisy then their humbucker counterparts. I won't go into detail why, plenty has been written about their physics. A Split Super 2 or Dual Sound creates a Single Coil pickup. An SD-Single is a humbucker in a single coil size. Splitting that reduces the output to about half of a single coil. Since a humbucker is 2 individual single coils wired together , it would stand to reason that a single coil sized humbucker would not have the number of winds needed to complete with a humbuckers output.

~waldo
waldo041

Postby James-T » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:17 pm

Thanks Waldo for your take on those SD-s single coils. I sort of figured single coils are inherently nosier than humbuckers – but back onto that question – as some single coils are quieter than others – for instance the reviewers on the D Allen’s say they are really quiet for a single coil – do you think a Dual Sound broken in half would be a particularly noisy single coil? – as I assume it’s not really designed to be cut in half. Granted that this would be an experiment so the results could only be evaluated by trying it – if you have an opinion from the technical side it would be cool to hear it!

Back on the topic of those Wolf single coils. Here are some decent close ups, albeit still a bit blurry, from the spring 78 tour.

Here is a decent daytime shot from Santa Barbara in June (still 3 single coils):

Here is a set of vintage SDS-1’s from 1978 with packaging:

And here is one of those pickups super-imposed on that last Bakersfield shot to see if there is a match in pole spacing:

I’m going to reframe from guessing again that the Wolf had a set of SDS-1’s in it for the78 spring tour – it’s kinda like guessing the if the sun will shine tomorrow around here in the Coastal mountains – the old-timers like to say only fools and newcomers predict the weather, but heck I am more willing now to get them a shot – guess that makes me a newcomer.

Anyone tried them as a set? Get you in the ballpark? Totally off base?

I discovered this photo while looking for decent Wolf 2.0 pictures (and also discovered that Jerry forgot to cut his hair after the Spring tour). At first I thought it was a white Ibanez Artist, but it could be a Travis Bean – without the OBEL (from what I can tell), and no middle pickup – it’s from 12 15 78.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcdavidpho ... otostream/

Listen to how it sounds here:

http://archive.org/details/gd78-12-15.s ... sbeok.shnf

This gives some insight into the necessity of having a middle pick-up to get that definitive post 77 “Garcia sound” – I can hear the difference but not by much. Garcia’s got a cool tone going. The PITB is real sweet.
James-T
Phil
Phil

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone