Funny Bob Moments

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Funny Bob Moments

Postby Shooster » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:56 pm

Since we all know Mr. Weir can be a bit of a oddball sometimes, I though maybe we could compile a list of funny lines or etc. that we've seen or heard on tapes.

At the 2/17/07 Ratdog show in Seattle, he was having trouble getting his capo on and he looked up and said (stone faced) " Cheaters never prosper." At the time I just that it was hilarious. :P
Shooster
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby ebick » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:07 pm

Think I've mentioned this one before, but on 3/10/81 when an amp blew up or something happened that caused a very loud crash during 1/2 step, when the first musical break came after Me & My Uncle, Bob says something along the lines, "That noise that you heard during the first song wasn't a mistake, it was art"
Ed

First Show - 5/5/77
Last Show - 3/28/93
ebick

Postby GratefulFloyd » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:21 pm

during a truckin from Iowa City in 82, he sings, "what in the world ever happened to sweet jane? ever since she said no to a sex change, all her friends can say is oh what a shame"
Fire! Fire on the Mountain!
GratefulFloyd
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby prankster » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:49 pm

i was looking on archive one day and i found this show 1969-05-31 McArthur Court. they did a yellow dog story when the amps were making a humming sound and it is more of a group effort but it is funey.

heres a link

http://www.archive.org/details/gd69-05- ... sbeok.shnf
We don't know where we are going so we should stick together incase one of us get there.
prankster
Vince
Vince

Postby confusions_prince » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:39 pm

Remember the picture of Bob on the "pony"? Well...

I found a vid on YouTube of him on one of the late night shows with Jerry. Great acoustic set (April of 1982??) and a great interview. Bob looks high, but he's actually sick. He makes a great comment about the group mind. Really intellegent and insightful (even uses a word that has slipped my mind) but everyone laughs him off. "We're going to take a break for Mr Weir to blow his nose..."
"More then ever, the world needs love and the Grateful Dead!" -Vince
confusions_prince
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:06 am

Not sure if this was the first time he twisted the lyrics in this manner but it was the first time I noticed him do it: 7/23/90, on his verse lead for The Weight instead of "if you'll take Jack my dog," he leaves out the "take" and barks out "If you'll... jack my dog" :shock:
Last edited by tigerstrat on Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby mutant_dan » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:50 am

While on tour, Bob used to check into hotels under the name Hugo Fugurselv.

I would be willing to wager he is still using that name as an alias.

One from Mickey, we were staying at the same hotel in Monterey as the Dead. One morning Mickey, Bill and Brent were having breakfast on the balcony of one of their suites.

Mickey stuck his finger half way up his nose and pulled out a large nugget. He then showed it off to his bandmates then held it up for us to see.

Everyone about died laughing.

One from Phil, we were in Denver in the same hotel as the Dead and a buddy of mine asked Phil for an autograph. Phil said 'get real' and then demanded my friends autograph.
mutant_dan
Bobby
Bobby

Postby LazyLightnin » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:58 pm

the '75 Golden Gate park show has some ridiculous Bobby banter, apparently someone is having a baby backstage and they're calling for a doctor, but then the baby is being born in the middle of the crowd, its just really funny you gotta hear it. they carry it on after several songs and kinda mess with your mind a little, if you were there and a little fuzzy that afternoon it had to a been pretty funny - and confusing 8)
LazyLightnin

Postby bodiddley » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:32 pm

I always love it when I see video of Bob doing something silly or when he gets carried away with his histrionics the way only Bob can and then you see Jerry with that little smirk probably thinking, "there goes that crazy Weir again."
bodiddley

Postby KevinL » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:25 am

Funny Bob and Jerry moment from 1990, During Queen Jane Approx.. Bobby messes up " from your brother to your sister to your mother .. she complains" Jerry looks and says.. "Here we go again." Just an old memory
KevinL
welcome
welcome

Bobby and Sunshine Daydream

Postby Jake_Straw » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:11 pm

I have always liked when, at the end of Darkstar, Jerry is clearly planning to go to Morning Dew and Bobby breaks into El Paso...and Jerry just raises his eyebrows...
Jake_Straw
rukind?
rukind?

Postby mttourpro » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:18 pm

In a previous thread, I detailed one such Weir(d) moment at the Other Ones Penn State show at Bryce Jordan in 02 (I think?)when Bob is hopelessly trying to get the drummers to stop their solo in the middle of BigRailroad (which Bruce inadvertantly initiated) , as it's not in the right place in the setlist...but, they ignore him and keep going. Bob finally huddles the band and decides to try again to stop them until he finally realizes it's a lost cause and throws his arms up in defeat and walks off stage.

That was pretty funny....but, not as funny as one time at the Spectrum (not sure exactly when, but I think in spring 86) when they're in the serious ROCK part of the 2nd set playing Throwin Stones. Bob does his inimitable rock-star "lunge" at the end of the big jam and slips on the stage and falls flat on his ass at the edge of the stage. The crowd goes nuts to see this. Bob simply remains sitting on the edge of the stage and finishes singing the song like he planned it that way all along. Pretty funny.
http://www.thecausejams.com

let your life proceed by its own design....
mttourpro

Postby myoung6923 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:07 pm

I once heard a tape (I have long since lost the brain cells that knew what show it was from) - sometime in the early 70's - where the band stops playing for a while because of technical difficulties. Bobby expains to the crowd that one of the speakers has "barfed it's little heart out".

They proceed to talk about making everything exactly perfect while the crew replaced the speaker.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

http://www.fennario.us
http://www.youtube.com/fennarioband
http://www.facebook.com/fennarioband
myoung6923

Postby pinkfloyd188 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:14 am

i went to a Ratdog show in Chicago at the Riviera Theater with some buddies in October last year. the show was hosted by Livenation or Instant Live, where you purchase the show on CD right after it's performed.

well i finally got the show from my buddy a couple days ago, and as i was blasting Loser, i hear Bob just let out a huge belch. it was so funny. i laugh everytime i hear it now.

also while at that show, they had terrible screeching coming from the amps. once during a jam, a particularly loud one came about and Bobbie clasped his hands up to his ears and gave a look like he was terribly constipated. it was rich.
pinkfloyd188
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby Pigpen » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:26 pm

I dont know maybe its just me but i saw a Ratdog show Valintines Day this year and at the start of the second set starts singing My Funny Valintine i thought that was funny :o
Pigpen
Billy
Billy

Next

Return to Everything Else