D. Irwin 4-string bass ref:Tom Lieber ,P. Saam

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: D. Irwin 4-string bass ref:Tom Lieber ,P. Saam

Postby philsaam » Mon May 18, 2009 2:42 pm

Larry --------Austier-I cant think of another word that fits ---wish I could hear how sweet she sounds --thankyou for going to the trouble to post your bass---its personal and its private to you - like my basses are to me ---thankyou for being a great guy---a good friend -Tom said Jack was going to get in touch with me -I hope to direct him here -maybe we can start up a little story tellin of sorts ----thought I would pay my respects to all --its Abalone season -be careful out there---save us the shells -----phil
philsaam
Brent
Brent

Postby furguscustom » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:31 pm

Sorry to dig this thread back up but I was suprised it ended so ebruptly. I was searching the web for pics of Phil Lesh's Irwin bass on images and found the pic of Phil saam's irwin bass. Anyway I am just in the beginning stages of building a bass of this design and found this thread very interesting. Wish could find more pics to work with but I think I got a good idea for my design.
Thanks.
furguscustom
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby Mandoborg » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:54 pm

Phil has become a dear friend and is one of the nicest people you could ever have come into your life. We've talked for hours about what it was like back 'in the day' as he has first hand knowledge of that bay area lutherie scene. He has not only told me some great stories, he's also introduced me to some of my heros growing up like Frank Fuller and Larry Robinson. This bass should be credited to Larry Robinson as much as Irwin from the story that was relayed to me. Either way it is a fine speciman of the art at it's highest. It inspires one to reach higher.

Jim
Mandoborg
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby Thomas Lieber » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:44 am

THIS is the 5 string bass Doug never finished for Phil. Michael Dolan finished off the construction and Larry did the inlays on this one!

Best,
Thomas
Thomas Lieber
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby zambiland » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:05 pm

Beauty! OK, who gets to play it? I'll certainly volunteer! :smile: :smile: :smile:
zambiland

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:39 am

Me too! Looks amazing!

Q: What's hiding in the upper electronics cavity? Just batteries or anything else?
Rusty the Scoob

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion